• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eclipse flugel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Eclipse flugel Reply with quote

Hi - I'm thinking of splashing out on a flugel - I used to play a Yamaha many (too many) years ago (can't remember the model, but it was a nice horn) and have recently had the chance to play a student Yamaha in the local band which is an OK instrument but nothing really special, as you might expect. I'm aiming to have a try of a few Bach, Getzen and Conn models which, along with Yamaha, are all that are available in the country (New Zealand) as far as I know, just to decide whether I want to part with my cash.

However, I tried an Eclipse flugel a few years ago and thought it was really very, very nice - in fact I'd probably have bought it if I wasn't already buying a trumpet (and it wasn't made for someone else). So,...has anyone compared the Eclipse sound to these more available brands? Which would it be closest to? Any thoughts on how one model or make compares with another for sound, intonation and I guess ease and enjoyment of playing.

I've listened to a few flugel players lately on-line. I don't know whether it is the way some are miced, the recording, the instrument they play or the style of playing but they can sometimes sound more raspy or trombone-like than the smooth, mellow sound I like. I do like Ruud Breuls style, who happens to play an Eclipse in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_-F6UV1FCo
Any advice/thoughts most appreciated.
Cheers
Richard
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this: maybe it answers my question...

ctgent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote
For a rich, warm sound and ease of playing my vote has to go to the Eclipse. I spent a solid 6 months playing every flugelhorn I could get my hands on - Yamahas, Kanstul, Couesnon, Courtois, Bach, Geneva, Getzen, Besson, Schilke and several others. In the end I liked the Kanstul 925 but I loved the Eclipse so that's where my money went. Just wish I had more time to play it!
NordicNorm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow ctgent's advice: play as many flugels as you can get your hands on.

Reading, or listening to others, is no way to decide.

Only you can decide what flugel works best for you.
Cornet: ‘84 Bach Strad 184 Shepherd’s Crook
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops - I think I posted this in the wrong place so have reposted in the horns section.
Cheers
Richard
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Eclipse' flugel is the single most exciting and special brass instrument that I have ever played during my 50+ years of playing. I tried out all three of the Eclipse flugels shortly after they were launched at the Eclipse factory in Luton,...Leigh McKenniey came and sat on a stoll with a cigarette to listen and we chatted about his flugel designs, although I was there about a cornet repair. I mentioned that the only other flugel that I had played which came close was the B&S and Leigh told me that it has been the 'design pilot' in developing his flugels. I did not care too much for the Eclipse with copper bell but the other two;...red brass and 'ordinary' (yellow) brass are the most spectacular sounding and exciting instruments to play.....completely expressive!

The Eclipse flugel was £2000 that day when I played it for about an hour and I keep thinking of it nearly 10 years (?) later and often feel regret that it never became part of my life although I had no use for a flugel at the time.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting statement about the B&S. I have never played an Eclipse flugel but I really like the B&S FBX and also think the 3145 and 17/2TR are good instruments. Would be nice to know which one is the one with the Eclipse-touch.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a scratched gold Eclipse flugel and it played as good as it looked. Fabulous instrument. A full time, professional trumpet playing friend tried it and asked to buy it. As I was looking to buy a new trumpet, I foolishly agreed. I regretted it the second he drove away with it.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a nice one for sale on eBay. Although it’s in Florida, postage to NZ to consider.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think buying on e-bay may be a bit risky - at least buying direct from the manufacturer means there is some guarantee and I could potentially return it if things don't work out. I'm still wondering what to do but will try a few other makes out when I visit Auckland next month. Just played a Yamaha in a concert yesterday which was pretty nice and perfectly in tune.

The Taylor Phat boy looks interesting but I have no knowledge of Taylor at all. I think I prefer the traditional design although the clips I have heard on-line sound good. Its expensive!

Cheers
Richard
jhellerstein

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won’t regret an Eclipse flugel. I got one used years ago, with the red brass bell. It’s a stunner. Super lightweight, not too big, superb Bauerfiend valveset, big easy chocolatey sound, solid intonation. Here’s a clip if you wanna hear it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/11s23cdugvj1z5u/summerneverknows.mp4?dl=0

Touch of reverb on that but you get a good sense of the tone quality. (Any tightness in there is me, not the horn. Also I need to get the Buna rubber valve pads replaced ... too clicky).

Can’t say I’ve compared tons of flugels. Prior to that I had a used 80’s smaller Courtois (nice, but tricky intonation) and a King 650 (not bad for a student horn, but not very resonant IIRC). The Eclipse is a different species than those.

It’s real pretty too.

richarddownunder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhellerstein wrote:
You won’t regret an Eclipse flugel. I got one used years ago, with the red brass bell. It’s a stunner. Super lightweight, not too big, superb Bauerfiend valveset, big easy chocolatey sound, solid intonation. Here’s a clip if you wanna hear it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/11s23cdugvj1z5u/summerneverknows.mp4?dl=0

Touch of reverb on that but you get a good sense of the tone quality. (Any tightness in there is me, not the horn. Also I need to get the Buna rubber valve pads replaced ... too clicky).

Can’t say I’ve compared tons of flugels. Prior to that I had a used 80’s smaller Courtois (nice, but tricky intonation) and a King 650 (not bad for a student horn, but not very resonant IIRC). The Eclipse is a different species than those.

It’s real pretty too.

Nice looking flugel! Thanks for the link...sounds great. That scratch lacquer is cool.

Cheers
Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: