• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anybody play with Billy Hodges in Las Vegas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWHodges

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Anybody play with Billy Hodges in Las Vegas? Reply with quote

I'm looking for musicians who played with my Dad either in Las Vegas or on the road. I'm also going to sell one of his horns on the marketplace but I would love to hear a few Bill Hodges Stories.

Please give me a ring.

Chris Hodges
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Billy Hodges Reply with quote

I was fortunate to know and play along side your Dad here in Las Vegas. He was one of the premier lead players in Las Vegas after his stints with Sauter Finnigan and Benny Goodman. I have a photo that your sister Heidi gave me with your Dad sitting in a NYC recording session alongside Mel Davis and Johnny Frosk. When I got off the road to settle in Las Vegas, one of the things you did was make the many rehearsal bands at the old Musicians Union Local 369 hall. They had a great bar and bandstand and EVERYBODY was playing there after-hours. I was asked to play with a band and your Dad was playing lead. I was in the section and happy to be in the company of some top flight players. By chance the rehearsal was being written up by a fellow from DownBeat magazine for a piece on the Las Vegas scene. When the piece came out he had listed the personal and I was listed as the lead player. Of course I apologized to your Dad and honestly, I did not even speak with the magazine guy. Your Dad was gracious as most of the top players in Las Vegas were then. Today nothing like that exists and when your sister started in radio with her talk show, we became good friends. She even uses my CD on air and never fails to give me credit. When she asked me to come over to her house to look at the various mouthpieces your Dad had made along with some spare parts, I was happy to find homes for them around the country. Your Dad favored 10 1/2C Bach mouthpieces that he had bent for himself. Imagine NY and Mt Vernon 10 1/2C's in mint condition. Most were bent so it was difficult to sell for her but most went off to new homes. It was good for me to help Heidi out and to witness her love for your Dad.

With the demise of star policy at the Riviera, your Dad's "home" for many years, a new production show called "Splash" came in for a long run. Your Dad wasn't interested in playing lead in a show like this produced by a fellow who didn't respect the musicians at all so he slid down and Tom Snelson came in on lead. Your Dad had an offbeat sense of humor and Snelson was downright caustic. The leader was a terrific guy named Dick Palumbi and in his mind the band could do no wrong. When your Dad died Las Vegas and the music world lost a fantastic musician.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say it...the history that folks like Tony Scodwell brings to the Trumpet Herald is utterly amazing. We are blessed to have legends among our midst. Thank you Tony and all the other extremely knowledgable folks for the history and expertise you bring to this forum!
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an interesting life your dad lived, Chris. You gotta be a proud son.

And thanks for another interesting story about a great era, Tony.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
CWHodges

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Wow such history! Reply with quote

Thank you Tony for your story on my Dad Bill Hodges. I have heard nothing but good things about his playing and part of the city of Las Vegas. An era has ended but at least you all were there to enjoy it while it lasted.
Sincerely,
Chris Hodges
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet Mike Paulson has some great stories.....

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: