• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Something similar to a Marcinkiewicz Baptist E8?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
band.director.brian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Something similar to a Marcinkiewicz Baptist E8? Reply with quote

Hi All,
I'm not a "gearhead" and have really only used a handful of mouthpieces in my career. I'm currently on a Marcinkiewicz Baptist E8 that I use for jazz work in a community big band. I love the feel of the rim and the cup shape seems to work really well with slotting and high register (playing on a custom build Harellson Summit One). However, my low notes are a tad more difficult to slot in and sound full.

I live overseas most of the year and don't have the option to visit a "local" music store to try out mouthpieces. So, before I go out buying one and shipping it only to find I don't like it, I was hoping to get some recommendations on a mouthpiece that would "feel" similar to the R. Baptist but offer a slightly better ability to slot in low notes.

Thanks,
Brian
Harrelson Summit One
Eclipse Enigma
Phattlippz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Something similar to a Marcinkiewicz Baptist E8? Reply with quote

Maybe consider contacting Trent Austin / Austin Custom Brass. They are very willing to talk mouthpieces, and can create something custom or recommend one of their pieces.

You could also check out the Marcinkiewicz website and see what other mouthpieces they make with that same rim profile. You could call them as well.

TC

band.director.brian wrote:
Hi All,
I'm not a "gearhead" and have really only used a handful of mouthpieces in my career. I'm currently on a Marcinkiewicz Baptist E8 that I use for jazz work in a community big band. I love the feel of the rim and the cup shape seems to work really well with slotting and high register (playing on a custom build Harellson Summit One). However, my low notes are a tad more difficult to slot in and sound full.

I live overseas most of the year and don't have the option to visit a "local" music store to try out mouthpieces. So, before I go out buying one and shipping it only to find I don't like it, I was hoping to get some recommendations on a mouthpiece that would "feel" similar to the R. Baptist but offer a slightly better ability to slot in low notes.

Thanks,
Brian

1952 Martin Committee #2
1941 Martin Handcraft Committee #2
1964 The Martin Committee Deluxe L
1937 Martin Imperial Handcraft
2019 Bach Stradivarius 72 MLV
1937 King Master Cornet
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcinkiewicz does custom work, and does it well.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
yes they do very good custom work ; you can also contact Graham Middleton there, he's very helpful. That'd be the best thing to start with.

Maybe try a Shew2, even it's not the same same ID & OD, but the #27 throat instead of the 28 could help you with the low notes.
best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: