• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Stadivarious gold kit caps worth keeping?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
berntd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: Bach Stadivarious gold kit caps worth keeping? Reply with quote

Hello,
The 1990s Srativarious 37 I purchased as gift, used, came with golden bottom valve caps.
Turns out these are from a Bach kit $$$.

Someone who has such an incomplete kit, possibly even the actual kit these came from, wants to swap them for used silver caps.

The giftee likes the gold ones on it as is.
I am not sure what to do.

Question is whether the horn is more valuable with silver caps, possibly the original ones but unknown or the gold ones. Or does it not matter.

???
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Providing we're talling about actual Bach products and they fit properly.. I think the only difference is in cosmetic value, and if it's a complete set. To me a mismatched set says something-not in a good way.
The real value for resale or in worth of the instrument, I wouldn't think would be impacted much.

Personnaly, I'd move toward having a matched set, whether it's all gold, or all silver. (Know that there is also a nickel plated cap set that goes with lacquered instruments - close but different to silver plated.)

Cheers
Retired Air Force Bandsman
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume if only the bottom caps are gold, they were likely a heavyweight set, which will be a bit thicker than the standard caps. One can buy a set of weighted bottom caps alone without the rest of the accessories, gold, silver, or nickel. Whatever floats your boat. Putting lightweight caps back on the valves may slightly change its response for better or not. I like the weighted caps, usually on just the 3rd valve, but on all valves on other horns.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: