• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

the new Martin comittee trumpet

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: the new Martin comittee trumpet Reply with quote

Dear All, firstly thanks for letting me join, great to be part of such a large worldwide community!.
I was wondering if any of you have got a trumpet or come a crossed this company.
Hes the grandson of the martin company's old owner.
I've always wanted a martin, but wasn't sure about getting second hand because I've heard some horror story's after shelling out $5000 and getting a dud.

https://www.martinbrasswind.com/

Great to hear back!

Thanks All
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never played a modern committee that played like a vintage one.

I haven't heard of anyone playing these new ones, so the jury is out.
Master Jabroni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who got one and had to have the valves rebuilt within a year. They were made at the end of the Kanstuk factory life.

"I call it how I see it"
Ajay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, it doesnt look like the kunstal one?.
I was going to get one of those, but they went bust before i could.
i read somewhere it was BAC that got all the kunstal factory stuff for there comittee
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAC did buy the Kanstul tooling.
I do not know if they are still making that committee though. Having the tooling is only a small part of being able to make the instrument, or continue where another factory left off.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Martin Brasswind Committee is now made by BAC in Kansas City for sale through that exclusive sales channel owned by Richard Martin.

It is a fourth generation of the Committee, not a copy of a prior design. The designers at BAC spent months obtaining data from exceptional samples of the prior generations of Martin Committee (including data from one of my own horns), linking the physical properties of each design to the playing characteristics those imbue the horn with. They then settled on a design concept to capture the dark rich Committee sound found in all generations, while charting a middle ground between the tight centering of many horns and the renowned super-loose nature of the second generation. The core of the horn was reworked using physics models to optimize the intonation tendencies in a manner best suited to the Committee market, probably achieving the best intonation profile yet for a Committee.

The sales channel itself is a bit of an odd plan, but it dates back to when Kanstul was building 1603s, and were contracted by Martin to build similar for him. Why I say odd, requires knowing the history:

In 1851, Gottfried Robert Martin, a student of Christian Hemming in Dresden, came to New York and began building instruments. He was joined in 1854 by his similarly trained brother Johann Heinrich (John Henry) Martin. Sometime in the 1858-1860 window, JH Martin moved to Chicago and began what I believe was a continental distribution operation for New York produced instruments, as no Martin marked Chicago has ever been found. That was destroyed in 1871, and JH returned to New York as shop superintendent at what Henry Distin termed their "monster" manufacturing works there at 31 Courtlandt Street. When Distin came to New York (after losing all his money from the sale of his firm to Boosey and tending bar for a living for a while) in 1876, JH was freed-up to spend 2 years at the fledgling CG Conn company learning about piston valve instruments - both brothers being exclusively trained in Saxon style rotaries. When Distin then got back into instrument making himself, JH returned to New York and stayed there until the firm, which never modernized its products, failed in 1885.

GR Martin ended his days as an assembler at a Detroit stencil maker, JH returned to Conn, bringing with him his sons including Henry Charles Martin, the future President of Martin Band Instrument Company, and Richard Martin's Great Grandfather. Martin BIC was founded in 1904 and reincorporated in 1905, as a partnership among several Martin siblings. By 1912, they were forced to sell the company to their young bookkeeper after years of sibling rivalries had paralyzed the business. That buyer, Francis Compton, brought in WJ Gronert (CG Conn, Peddler, Elkhart) who started turning things around, but died after a couple of years. The company then sold to OP Basset, who kept HC Martin as a figurehead president only until 1923.

The Martin Committee trumpet was created as an improvement upon the Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet of the early 1930s in 1938. While a "Committee" of experts was supposedly consulted, the only designer on that team was Renold Schilke, who later referred to the design process as a "committee of one". Among the modification to the Imperial design were some recognizable elements from the Holton Llewellyn models Schilke had been involved with at the end of his apprenticeship.

Note that the Martin family had been out of the company for over 15 years when the Committee was first designed.

The Handcraft Committee slots solidly. Following WWII, the horn was redesigned and those slot very loose. Those 1950s Committees are the ones most often thought of, and sought after.

Following changes in ownership and the brief elimination of the Committee name, under Leblanc a third generation was designed by the great Larry Ramirez (also known for the Farkis French horn and Maynard models at Holton). Those were the last instruments to bear the Martin name at the end of the last century.

So given the reality of the creation and history of the Committee as a unique, and in this iteration still very recognizable, trumpet sound concept, I am not sure I see the sense in linking it to the Martin family - but that's the gimmick BAC inherited as yet another of the diverse and often unrelated projects that were going on at Kanstul. They just opted to get far more serious about the design than Kanstul had.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Ajay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! that's really enlightening, so is it a good horn to get if your in the market for a new committee?, i'm guessing the build quality is up to scratch? i don't know B.A C, seen some clips of there factory on facebook.
is it built up from a pre bought block or do they build the blocks for this like adams does for the A9?, lead pipes and bells made in house?.
Sorry for the grilling its a lot of £ and i cant try one, so would be going on faith.
And thanks for your time in answering this for me i really appreciate it.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajay wrote:
Thanks! that's really enlightening, so is it a good horn to get if your in the market for a new committee?, i'm guessing the build quality is up to scratch? i don't know B.A C, seen some clips of there factory on facebook.
is it built up from a pre bought block or do they build the blocks for this like adams does for the A9?, lead pipes and bells made in house?.
Sorry for the grilling its a lot of £ and i cant try one, so would be going on faith.
And thanks for your time in answering this for me i really appreciate it.

That there is the big issue: I can never just recommend that someone buy a horn sight-unseen. We are all different - which is why there are so many different horns out there - and finding a fit in a trumpet is like finding a fit in any relationship: it's personal.

With regard to some of your questions....

Last I heard, which was many months ago, there were all of maybe two in existence. I hope more have come about since, but I have heard tales of difficulty communicating with Mr. Martin, and on the BAC side, they had not seen the orders from him they were expecting (this was early-covid period).

The first of these is now in the hands of a private collector (and as a side-bar the 2008 Calicchio that collector sold to make room in his collection is now in mine). I believe the second is at BAC for use in promotions - though I may be mistaken.

Of the people who played on the horn when it was debuted at a trade show, NAMM I think, all of the feedback was glowing. I have not heard any negatives from anyone who played on the MB Committee at all. However, like the prospectus always says, "individual results may vary". If you can find an excuse to visit KC . . . . . .

I believe the valve casings, knuckles and pistons are imports, refit by hand at BAC and outfitted with the model-based slides. The leadipe is drawn at BAC, and the bells were initially made by hand by master bell-maker John Duda (Calicchio) before his passing, while he was supervising and training the staff at BAC. One of his apprentices will hand make the bells going forward.

I own a very early Handcraft Committee, and if I were to get another Committee, I would be looking at the Martin Brasswinds horn. My reasons are that I do not care for the extremely loose centering/slotting of the classic second generation, I prefer the reliability (and tech) of new horns to vintage when I'm going to be depending on it in performance, and, I know the people at BAC and thus have confidence in their work (not to mention, being naturally paranoid, I've solicited input from those who got a chance to play it).

But that's me. You may be very different. I can't tell you what to do, as I am not you. I can only say that it will be a great horn for many prospective buyers, and like any you might choose to pick, not for some others.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
I believe the valve casings, knuckles and pistons are imports, refit by hand at BAC and outfitted with the model-based slides.
https://www.martinbrasswind.com/buy-now/ At that price point I would hope everything was hand in-house and not imported... sheesh!
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJtpt31 wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
I believe the valve casings, knuckles and pistons are imports, refit by hand at BAC and outfitted with the model-based slides.
https://www.martinbrasswind.com/buy-now/ At that price point I would hope everything was hand in-house and not imported... sheesh!

At that price point I would expect everything to be the best possible - regardless of how that is achieved.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if it has the same tapered tuning slide like the Committees had.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Ortiz wrote:
I'm wondering if it has the same tapered tuning slide like the Committees had.

Good question - maybe we'll get an answer here.

I seem to recall that across the 3 generations and 3 bore sizes, that was not a universal characteristic. Am I remembering that right?

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right Ron. I know that when Wallace Roney had Kanstul design his horn, that was a feature he was interested in. I'm playing the Schilke Handcraft and I think it does, but not sure. Just like how it plays :) I'd be curious to try one of these new horns...
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJtpt31 wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

Is it just me or is the photo of the "silver plated" horn just the lacquered one with a black and white filter?
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: the new Martin comittee trumpet Reply with quote

Ajay wrote:

I've always wanted a martin, but wasn't sure about getting second hand because I've heard some horror story's after shelling out $5000 and getting a dud.

For $1500 less than what BAC/Martin Brasswind are charging for their "4th generation" committee, you could buy a brand new Adams A9, which was designed with Ambrose Akinmusire. Adams has a much stronger track record than BAC, and makes everything in-house (not to mention their quality of manufacture is top-notch). I don't know how many Martin Brasswind horns are floating around, but there are quite a few reviews of the Adams A9 already out. The A9 was based on laser scans of Ambrose's favorite Martin Committees. The A9 copies the look of the valve block in addition to the leadpipe, waterkeys, and bell, something that the USA Martin copy does not.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
The A9 was based on laser scans of Ambrose's favorite Martin Committees. The A9 copies the look of the valve block in addition to the leadpipe, waterkeys, and bell, something that the USA Martin copy does not.

I'm sorry to hear that the Adams is just an attempt at copying. I had thought more highly of Adams design intent in the past, but they aren't the easiest to learn much about.

The Martin Brasswind Committee is not a copy, or a clone, or any other sort of imitation. It is a new design incorporating specific proven elements from the past, and targeting a classic sound, but in a new horn that should be considered independent of any past specific model or questionably logical familial name linkage.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20

Last edited by OldSchoolEuph on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The laser scan and “copying” is merely the first step in building a faithful reproduction. They did change a few things in the leadpipe to improve intonation. Ultimately, Ambrose stuck with his vintage Committees, but for someone looking for a new horn, the A9 is the closest thing to the “real deal” without buying an old horn.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
DJtpt31 wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

At that price point I would expect everything to be the best possible - regardless of how that is achieved.

I think what you are saying is true to a degree. I know that I wouldn't be willing to pay a premium price on the past reputation of a horn that is now built with outsourced parts... that's just me personally. Nothing against anyone else who doesn't see an issue with it.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJtpt31 wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
DJtpt31 wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

I think what you are saying is true to a degree. I know that I wouldn't be willing to pay a premium price on the past reputation of a horn that is now built with outsourced parts... that's just me personally. Nothing against anyone else who doesn't see an issue with it.

Well, I wouldn't buy a horn based on being a copy of something else. The strength of this horn is that it stands on its own, its not a copy. And a horn in this tier is something that you should only buy when it fits you. I don't care about anything except how is it built when I examine it, and how does it play when I blow on it. And, most importantly, I never pay attention to how it works (or doesn't) for anyone else, because I am not anyone else.

And yes, My Austin Winds was just designed in the US. It was built in England (Taylor), and the valves came from China (Carol). I could care less. It plays amazingly well for me. I can say the same for the AW Stage470UK I just played on while in Austin last month.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Ajay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your info, so it’s not the kanstul design Martin first went for, the one Wallace Rooney endorsed (god bless him).
I found out about it because for my sins I play on a g2 mouthpiece I’d got from kanstul and jack told me about the trumpet on the phone.
I guess the cost isn’t the parts but the knowledge of putting it together I guess.
carolbrass vavles are great, really nice company.
I know this sounds like I’m a backward thinking troglodyte, but I just want a new perfect copy warts and all, just for me, I’d be mad to use a large bore Martin on a 4 hour function set mainly playing 70 disco, my bottom would fall out’

Does the block have the right angle for the second slide, it’s quite raked on a Martin, I guess that would affect the sound, and if it doesn’t have the step bore it would be quite different. I guess??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: