• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The affect of getting pads right on playing?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: The affect of getting pads right on playing?! Reply with quote

I just changed out the inner pads on a Bach 37 replacing the new rubber ones with old smashed down white cloth ones and it improved the sound and blow considerably. Is this because the valve became more in alignment with the change?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be. It could also be that the valves became less aligned and that the new alignment suits your playing better. Valve alignments are not a guarantee that you'll like the horn better.

One thing that should be mentioned, however, is that any minor change that improves the sound and blow considerably indicates that there is some MAJOR problem with how the horn was before. The key word here is "considerably." I wouldn't expect such a minor change to make such a major difference unless the horn was a disaster before the change.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it tells me is whoever put the rubber pads in put in the wrong size. I forget but wasnt it Clark Terry who took his horn in to get his springs and pads changed and it changed the playability of the horn.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only experience with rubber pads was when Reeves aligned my horns. Just installing rubber pads without regard for the alignment sounds problematic.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A considerable change suggests more is going on than just the pads - something else we are not seeing.

The pads themselves effect alignment. Apparently some horns are sensitive to this despite the turbulence of the valves - though Holton used to build trumpets in 8 bores but only 3 or 4 valve port sizes (covering 3 bores in some cases with one port size), so . . . . .

Crushed felt and rubber have different densities and elasticities. This probably influences the connection between the body of the horn and the mass of the piston when up. That would be like the difference in weighted caps.

These are relatively subtle things in both cases though, not "considerable".

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: