• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is AR Resonance that good that one should try it ?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Is AR Resonance that good that one should try it ? Reply with quote

Guys- I am quite happy w/my Curry 8.5* mouthpiece, but the question is - should I try the AR Resonance anyway?
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100%. Best pieces I’ve ever played. I bought and tried a lot of used sizes before I found my favorite size. You can always resell them if you don’t like them.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kool. Which one size would be close to my Curry?
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:

Go to his website and look at the comparison chart.

Good luck!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR pieces are great. I have played the one in the signature since 2019. Came from JK via Yamaha via Monette via GR to AR (five mps in 41 years of playing plus a few more for tests, I just realized). I still very much like the GR pieces but AR seems to work even better for me. Even more focus, even clearer attacks, and more open sound.

Having said that there is no other mp that quite matches my Curry for my rotary trumpet.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The response to attack of my AR mouthpiece is astonishing. It, along with my new Lotus mouthpiece, is the best mouthpiece I have played.

I think everyone should try these new models as they offer something different from 95% of the mouthpieces out there. They feel different, sound different and center different. For me, they have noticably improved my playing almost from the start. I truly mean that.

And both Lotus and AR mouthpieces have excellent resale value if you end up not liking either one. I wouldn't spend money on a new instrument until you have tried one of these great 'pieces!

Steve
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my humble opinion, yes they are. Like some of the other posters in this thread, AR mouthpieces have drastically improved my playing. Most notably my tone is much more steady and I can play them with much more finesse rather than power. I’ve had the luxury to be able to playtest various combinations (including the same cup in both brass and bronze, which I can confirm does affect the characteristics quite a bit) and they all shared the same effects on stability and intonation for me. Essentially, and this is not an exageration, they’ve helped me to become a trumpet player rather than a guy who owns a trumpet.

If you have some way to playtest them before purchase I’d greatly recommend them, as they aren’t cheap…but in my opinion, they’re totally worth it. Be sure to ask any questions about sizing you have to Tony (the owner of AR) as well. He’s very knowledgable and kind and he can surely tell you what to try.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are fantastic.
I own a whole bunch of AR tops, but my main setup is a Wedge cup with AR backbore
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant Jordan wrote:
100%. Best pieces I’ve ever played. I bought and tried a lot of used sizes before I found my favorite size. You can always resell them if you don’t like them.

Bryant- WHERE did you buy & try them?
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
Bryant Jordan wrote:

Bryant- WHERE did you buy & try them?

Online. You can find them on TH, Ebay, FB Marketplace, Reverb, etc.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AR Resonance that good that one should try it ? Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
Guys- I am quite happy w/my Curry 8.5* mouthpiece

If you're happy with the Curry, stick with it.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is AR Resonance that good that one should try it ? Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
Claude1949 wrote:
Guys- I am quite happy w/my Curry 8.5* mouthpiece

If you're happy with the Curry, stick with it.

I hear you, but nothing wrong with TRYING a new thing........
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant Jordan wrote:
Claude1949 wrote:

Go to his website and look at the comparison chart.

Good luck!

Bryant- the chart only has letters; the mouthpieces I see used on ebay are generally the "40 lead" what gives?
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

‘Lead’ is the shallowest cup if I’m not mistaken (it goes deep to shallow: A-B-C-D-E-Lead-LeadPlus). The AR site claims that A is aimed mostly at rotary trumpets and LeadPlus is for hardcore lead players.

The other letters indicate rim size, which go from XS (extra small) to VL (Very Large). So for example an M Lead 40 cup would mean a medium rim with a shallow cup and a 4.0mm throat.

Backbores usually come in small, medium and large though recently AR added additional options.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
‘Lead’ is the shallowest cup if I’m not mistaken (it goes deep to shallow: A-B-C-D-E-Lead-LeadPlus). The AR site claims that A is aimed mostly at rotary trumpets and LeadPlus is for hardcore lead players.

The other letters indicate rim size, which go from XS (extra small) to VL (Very Large). So for example an M Lead 40 cup would mean a medium rim with a shallow cup and a 4.0mm throat.

Backbores usually come in small, medium and large though recently AR added additional options.

Thanks. I got it now. Makes good sense.
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Love the AR, mouthpiece safari is over (for now). Go for the bronze top, I have one and all I can say is: versus brass it has many improvements and no downsides I can think of.

My improvements with the mouthpiece are: crisper attacks on tongue attacks, easier breath attacks. Easier to produce even tone on the whole range (it took some adjustment to find the right volume in the lower notes, because it is very easy to play loud with the bronze top). No serious improvement in range but no worsening either.

For reference, I switched to AR from a Bach in roughly the same size (3C ish), major difference being the throat which is larger on the AR and that is what takes some adjusting to.

Also, since cup and backbore are 2 separate pieces you can tweak and adjust to some extent without changing the whole mouthpiece. I am interested in the buffalo horn tops, I think it could be a nice addition for certain tone color for recording soft passages.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jairo_saade wrote:
Hi,

Love the AR, mouthpiece safari is over (for now). Go for the bronze top, I have one and all I can say is: versus brass it has many improvements and no downsides I can think of.

My improvements with the mouthpiece are: crisper attacks on tongue attacks, easier breath attacks. Easier to produce even tone on the whole range (it took some adjustment to find the right volume in the lower notes, because it is very easy to play loud with the bronze top). No serious improvement in range but no worsening either.

This has been my experience as well. Improvements upon conventional mouthpieces with no apparent downsides.
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my AR for over 5 years now. I got Antonio to make one up based on specs and it made me stop looking for mouthpieces altogether. If you like your Curry that much, you wouldn't necessarily be looking (jokes, but there may be some truth there).

I'd recommend sending AR an email, he'll be able to give you a recommendation based on your current mouthpiece and what you want that's different to your current setup. Super nice person.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BraeGrimes wrote:
I've had my AR for over 5 years now. I got Antonio to make one up based on specs and it made me stop looking for mouthpieces altogether. If you like your Curry that much, you wouldn't necessarily be looking (jokes, but there may be some truth there).

I'd recommend sending AR an email, he'll be able to give you a recommendation based on your current mouthpiece and what you want that's different to your current setup. Super nice person.

You can "like" a certain mouthpiece but that doesn't mean being blind to other possibilities. What did you use before AR? I own 200+ mouthpieces & I pitted my Curry against all & found it better. That's how I came to the Curry, but I do not have an AR or another "super" mouthpiece to compare my Curry to. Mention one of the "regular" mouthpieces & I have probably tried it or own it & preferred the Curry
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes reading really enthusiastic reviews of equipment online will make you think that you need to have it. Everything is definitely worth trying if you want to try new stuff for yourself, so for sure go for it if you can afford to. Just keep in mind nothing is magic. They have a lot of configurations just like other mouthpiece makers, so trying one alone won't tell you much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: