• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is AR Resonance that good that one should try it ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
Sometimes reading really enthusiastic reviews of equipment online will make you think that you need to have it. Everything is definitely worth trying if you want to try new stuff for yourself, so for sure go for it if you can afford to. Just keep in mind nothing is magic. They have a lot of configurations just like other mouthpiece makers, so trying one alone won't tell you much.

Totally agree w/you! Thanks for the good advice. I'll wait until there is a wider availability of these & see if I can try one at least the same size as my Curry.....
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...maybe the maker in Italy can jut tell us what is an equivalent to the Curry 8.3 ???????
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew, Curry isn't very popular in Italy and I never had the opportunity to try that size.
Sorry!

Trumpets and mouthpieces: the ones I make
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anrapa wrote:
I wish I knew, Curry isn't very popular in Italy and I never had the opportunity to try that size.
Sorry!

One chart I found says the Curry 8.5 is .640 or like a Bach 5...........It feels a lot smaller to me........
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, mouthpiece comparison charts make no sense anyway.
As the idea of publishing an official diameter for a trumpet mouthpiece.

delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 7C period I collected 7 sized (in Bach system) mp's for trumpet, flügel and cornet. I my experience the Curry pieces feel one size bigger than the Bach mp's. So when I bought a DC, VC, BBC for cornet and a B for trumpet (the 8.5C was way too bright), I ordered all of them as an 8.5. I never measured them because that makes not much sense but for me, the 8.5 Curry was the perfect 7 in size. Never used the Curry mouthpieces though, generally too bright or not enough body in sound (of course: for me). Years later I tried a Curry 3BC for trumpet but that one was also too bright and did not play very well (again: for me).
As a conclusion I can say with some ground that the 8.5 Curry mp's behave on the lips as a 7 Bach. Disclaimer: Bach mp's have a certain name for inconsistency in diameter so there maybe differences in size between them.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take the advice a few of you gave me- I'm sticking with my Curry!!!!!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:

Your loss.

But seriously, if it works for you, then you're absolutely right. Changing just for the sake of changing makes little sense anyway.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
Claude1949 wrote:

Your loss.

But seriously, if it works for you, then you're absolutely right. Changing just for the sake of changing makes little sense anyway.

I was not going to just change; I was going to TRY. If it played better, easier, etc. then I would consider changing........
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..also, I am NOT a technical person, I am musician and a lawyer, but my calipers say that the Curry 8.5 is smaller than any Bach 7C size....its more like a Bach 10 1/2....just saying.....
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone played the buffalo horn ARs? I just ordered one.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
..also, I am NOT a technical person, I am musician and a lawyer, but my calipers say that the Curry 8.5 is smaller than any Bach 7C size....its more like a Bach 10 1/2....just saying.....

Calipers cannot speak and are not really suited for measuring diameters of mouthpieces.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the AR resonance MC 40 with the 40 underpiece. Great mouthpiece and beautiful sound and so easy to blow. I couldnt believe how light the piece is. I got the Buffalo horn which I like, but I wish I had gotten the silver, the Buffalo horn is maybe not as resonant. Overall I love the piece.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

improver wrote:
Has anyone played the buffalo horn ARs? I just ordered one.

No but I’d love to read your opinion on them. How do they compare to the metal cups?
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the AR site does a good job of describing it. Read their description. Since I dont have a metal one yet but I ordered a brass one today so I can give you a better idea when it comes. But comparing it to my metal B6s1 I would say it's not quite as resonant lol. A little more dead and dark, but I'm speaking relatively because it's a great sounding piece. I got the 40 MC top and 40M bottom. Love the balance. Its clearer cleaner than the Monette but not quite the volume. These AR might be the easiest playing mouthpieces I've ever played and I've played for 55 years. The one guy on here that describes them as perfect and he cant find fault. I feel the same way. The only thing I would say it's a lighter mouthpiece and maybe just a tad not slotty. Not much. But the blow resistance sound combination throughout the range of the instrument is second to none. The Buffalo horn is soft and lightish and doesnt feel like metal at all. It's great on the chops. But I would say if you flicked your finger off it as compared to metal it is more dead. I love the piece. It still has a lot of tone color.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

improver wrote:
I just got the AR resonance MC 40 with the 40 underpiece. Great mouthpiece and beautiful sound and so easy to blow. I couldnt believe how light the piece is. I got the Buffalo horn which I like, but I wish I had gotten the silver, the Buffalo horn is maybe not as resonant. Overall I love the piece.

Glad to hear it. Question: is the MC comparable to a Bach 5-7?
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's a fair comparison. Think of it as a big 7 c with a more open efficient blow. You know how Bach pieces have that resistance, the 40 mc with 40m backbore is free. Its deeper than the 3c more like the 7c and has a way better sound. I dont know how Tony pulls it off but it's the best blowing mouthpiece I've ever played. Its seamless in the way it plays and produces a sound with character, more than my b6s1.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought MC was closer to a 3C? I play an MC 40, and it feels a touch smaller than my Pickett 3C, but that could be the rim profile. I was under the impression that MSC was roughly a 7C in AR sizes.
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geometrically speaking my MC is very close to a Bach 3C but the bigger throat and different backbores can change the feeling of it quite a bit.
As a rule of thumb the more open a mouthpiece is and the deeper the cup feels and the thinner the rim feels.
Weird, I know…

improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that explains it. Tony gets the throat and backbore opened innsuch a way that makes the rim feel larger and the cup feel deeper. I totally but this. Because a 3c has always been a tad shallow feeling for me and the 40mc resonance feels deeper. I think also in what anrapa says is the fact that Tony hit the all time mouthpiece homerun in throat backbore cup rim synergy. Just amazing. It is resistance without feeling any impeeding resistance. Guys have been drilling throats out and changing baxkbores for years with stock pieces trying to find nirvana, and this guy has found it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: