• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shatfield56

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Getzen advice Reply with quote

I have a Holton t-602R that I picked up for next to nothing in my return to the trumpet after 40 years (2 years in Junior High so am starting over but catching on).

It's fun to peruse trumpets on eBay as well as read opinions on trumpets here on TH.

I came across this Getzen eterna.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Getzen-Eterna-Trumpet-model-700-/144096188060?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

It doesn't seem too expensive, but can anyone with more experience than me tell me if it seems a good deal or what questions to ask?

Before you say it 😉 I am still practicing on my Holton and will continue to do so but haven't invested hardly any money in it.

Thanks
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 700S is a fine horn. If it is in good mechanical condition that is an excellent price.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for the Eterna 900 or The Severinsen which is the older model of the 900. They are more free blowing than the 700, which seemed like a much tighter blow to me.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Eterna 700 that was built around 1999. It's more free-blowing and has a more open high register than my Bach LR180, which is more open than the bog-standard Bach 180. The Bach has a little more core to the sound, but I prefer the Getzen when I want sizzle. It's marketed as a step-up semi-pro horn, but that's all just marketing talk. I wouldn't be afraid to use my 700 in any situation. It's mouthpiece-sensitive and will scream with a good lead mouthpiece and get a nice classical sound with a deeper one. In my opinion it's one of Getzen's more underrated horns.

The 700 is generally more popular than the 700SP, which I think has been discontinued.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
I have an Eterna 700 that was built around 1999. It's more free-blowing and has a more open high register than my Bach LR180, which is more open than the bog-standard Bach 180. The Bach has a little more core to the sound, but I prefer the Getzen when I want sizzle. It's marketed as a step-up semi-pro horn, but that's all just marketing talk. I wouldn't be afraid to use my 700 in any situation. It's mouthpiece-sensitive and will scream with a good lead mouthpiece and get a nice classical sound with a deeper one. In my opinion it's one of Getzen's more underrated horns.

The 700 is generally more popular than the 700SP, which I think has been discontinued.

+1 Here's Leon Merian on a 700 Eterna https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By5CDhbNV0g

PS a precision valve alignment will kick it up a notch.

Last edited by Ed Kennedy on Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
shatfield56

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed that sounds sweet, understanding of course who's playing it.

I've always been of the opinion that I try not to buy the cheapest, but don't see going for the most expensive when it comes to instruments. There seem to be several brands that, when looked at with a knowledgeable eye (which I don't yet possess) are very good players depending on condition. Remember, the last time I had a horn was approximately 1968, so I'm trying to catch up Knowledge wise. This place has tons of info.

I'm not locked into a Getzen, just wondered what folks thought about this one. I asked and the fella posted additional pics of the valves completely removed, so that was nice.

My budget is what it is, $500-600 because that's what I sold a fly rod for 😀. It sure is fun looking and learning and I'm not constrained by time.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shatfield56 wrote:

My budget is what it is, $500-600 because that's what I sold a fly rod for 😀. It sure is fun looking and learning and I'm not constrained by time.

For that price and if the horn is in good shape you can't go wrong.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Getzen advice Reply with quote

I am a big fan of Getzen as I had experience with a Severinsen, and an 800 Eterna cornet that were both supplied by college where I went. The 700 is also an excellent horn. People's comments that the Severinsen may be more an open blow are probably true, but the 700 can play. There are fishermen in this world that would weep and gnash their teeth thinking about someone selling a good fly rod for a trumpet, LOL. Have fun shopping.
shatfield56

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like someone else likes it, there's a bid on it now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: