• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Summer Maintenance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EJ Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Summer Maintenance Reply with quote

I will not be playing my trumpet for two months over the summer. Should I still give it any maintenance (e.g. valve oil and slide grease)?

Thank you
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't hurt to oil the valves every week or so, although it probably won't really need it. The slides should also be fine - slide grease doesn't dry up that fast.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
EJ Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
It wouldn't hurt to oil the valves every week or so, although it probably won't really need it. The slides should also be fine - slide grease doesn't dry up that fast.

Okay thank you, those are some good guidelines.
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a trumpet sitting in its case in a closet that I don't play very often. Before putting it there I greased and oiled it normally. Other than pressing the valves and maybe moving the slides every few weeks to make sure nothing's stuck, the horn has been fine for many months.

I also had another trumpet that I kept in the closet for years with no lubrication or anything, and it too was fine. Granted both of these were student horns with looser tolerances.

Now if you intend to keep the horn stored for many years (on the order of decades), that's a different story. That's when slide grease can become glue. But for just two months you shouldn't have to worry.
ebolton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just your trumpet. Your skills will deteriorate over a couple of months not playing any trumpet.
Jenny Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:

I've seen a number of people complain about valves sticking after keeping their instrument in storage for a few months.

I wonder whether it would be better to just remove the valves altogether and then reassemble once you're ready to play again?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically take the horn apart when I put it away (at least the piston horns/ the slides on rotary horns). When you pull it back out, just oil and grease it, put it back together, and you’re ready to go.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your horn is relatively clean, simply oiling the valves and putting some fresh grease on the slides should be plenty of preparation for a few months in the case. If your trumpet is filled up with stuff that looks like toothpaste, you should probably clean it before storage (heck, you should go clean it if you were intending to play it...).

If you are placing an instrument in storage for a very long time, you should clean the horn thoroughly and allow all parts to dry. Once dry, assemble the instrument DRY for storage. It is the dirt/crud and lubricants inside a horn that glue it together over time. (Dry the case out also. Moisture in the horn trapped in the case contributes to the old horn smell and turns cool vintage cases into trash) If it is clean and dry, it will be just like the day you put it away for a nearly indefinite amount of time.

Assemble the instrument completely! Keep everything together so that nothing gets lost. Parts that are not on/in the horn where they are supposed to be will get damaged or lost. Keep extra slides and bells all together in the same case. (Yes I know that you are very careful, but whomever cleans up your stuff after you die or whatever will not be.) I have seen many Schilke E3L and G1L trumpets that should have slides and bells to play in 2 or 3 keys that are now single-key only horns. Even more tragic are valves (or slides) that are stored separately from a horn body and misplaced!
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my horns in storage for about 10 years in their cases, as was. Storage conditions were dry with low humidity. I may have put valve oil and regreased them 2 or 3 times in that period.

I pulled them out last year, regreased them, applied valve oil and tarnish removed with a micro fibre cloth. All, 2 Bbs, a C, a Picc, Flugel and 2 Cornets were good to go. They have always been well maintained and went away clean, I think good quality cases also helped.

Mouthpieces were the issue. They were heavily tarnished and the lining of one or two of the mouthpiece cases had broken down. Most have come back reasonably well using the old tinfoil and baking soda in boiling water trick though.

Regards,

Trevor
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer Maintenance Reply with quote

EJ Silver wrote:
I will not be playing my trumpet for two months over the summer. Should I still give it any maintenance (e.g. valve oil and slide grease)?

Good Lord, you're not going to play for two months? The horn would be the least of my worries. I was sick for a week just last month, and my lip had turned to Jell-O by the time I could start practicing again.

I wish I knew your secret for rapid recovery of lip strength after a layoff.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you taking two months off?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebolton wrote:
It's not just your trumpet. Your skills will deteriorate over a couple of months not playing any trumpet.

Surprised it took this long for someone to mention.

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebolton wrote:

Surprised it took this long for someone to mention.

Brad
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's easier to stay in shape than to get back in shape."

Me

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: