• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jon Hassell and Arve Henriksen: That flute-like tone!?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbseattle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Jon Hassell and Arve Henriksen: That flute-like tone!? Reply with quote

Edit - Previously https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1514342&sid=5f8dc5e46fcdf9c7368f6ec042feebd1 (I didn't see this before I posted).

When a trumpet sounds like an exotic flute, with notes fluidly floating and bending around, you can't help but admire the sound. And wonder: how in the world are they creating this, technique-wise.

Specifically, listen to Arve Henriksen, "Tsinari Tsar" is a start. Anything he does has this sound. Also, the late great Jon Hassell shows the technique, heard in "Slow Loris versus Poison Snail".

You'll have to find these on your favorite source. I could add Spotify links if you need.

Related bonus influence: Nils Petter Molvær.

To me, they're able to make it sound like the mouthpiece is only halfway in.

HOW DO YOU MAKE THIS TONE? I love it.
Bach 1978 Mercedes
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are a couple of things at work here:

1) they have all obviously developed characteristic sound(s) on their instruments. I know that Hassell studied for years in India with an Indian teacher who was either a vocalist or a flautist, I can't remember which. That led to the development of his sound.

2) technology. I know Henrikson's work a lot less than the other two, but Hassell and Molvaer both employ a LOT of technology in their setup. For Hassell, he first started using a lot of delays, looping, and harmonizers. With the advent of computer tech he's probably been using a lot more stuff.

If you want to hear a great example of Hassell's use of this tech, check out one of his earlier albums, 'Aka/Darbari/Java: Magic Realism'.

keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: