• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marcus Bonna Triple cases pix/review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhellerstein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Marcus Bonna Triple cases pix/review Reply with quote

Hi all.
After many years I decided to upgrade my case situation. I did a bunch of web search and vendor questioning on double and triple cases and found things really hard to visualize. I thought maybe I'd share comparison pix of what I got and a bit of what I learned.

Thanks to some sales I ended up buying both a MB triple and an MB compact triple. As it happens I'm not trying to use either case for 3 horns -- I'm using the "triple" for flugel+Bb, and the "compact triple" for a single top-action rotary + mutes. I also have a used Yamaha Xeno double which is very compact as a point of comparison.

To start, I'm very impressed with Marcus Bonna's construction, fit and finish. Internal padding is stiffer and more substantial than my old Protec Vax case was. Fiberglass case is lighter than the wood on the Protec. And the Bonna comes with all kinds of touches both practical and thoughtful. Most notable is a repositionable hard rubber block to put on the floor of the case (eg next to the valve casing on your Bb) so your horn *cannot slide and impact the bell* in a crash situation. But also plenty of firm foam blocks, a mouthpiece case, valve-oil soft pouch. And most everything (case cover, wheels, handles) is removable, cleanable, replaceable. Just really solid and thoughtful.

---
COMPACT TRIPLE

I'll start with the compact triple because it's the weirder of the two. It's REALLY compact. Like almost as small as the Xeno double, which is small!

The way it works in the standard config you'll see in web ads is that you lay your Bb sideways on the floor of the case, lay a firm foam flap and pads over it, and then stack your other horn (Bb/C) on top. A pic can fit in the other slot. All my Bb horns have 5+" bells, and I could not make the stacking scheme work for two of them. So this may only be a triple for conventional-belled horns, and even there it's ... tight. I wouldn't.

I got it because it's a great case for a single large trumpet (say a rotary) and extras (pic or mutes), which is what I wanted. The case I got from East Coast Trumpets came with the wheels and telescoping handle. I'm not sure that feature is worth the money on a case this compact, but this was what they were selling on clearance so I took it.

I was able to get my cornet into the space for the pic actually, with its 4.75" bell. It's a bit tight -- the bell pushes against the divider and the exterior wall of the case, and requires bending the case lid a bit.

I wouldn't throw the case like that into the trunk of my car, but I figure it'd be OK in a pinch if I treat the case like a gig bag and handle it with care.

----
FULL TRIPLE

The full-size triple is a proper side-by-side triple case -- quite a bit wider than the compact triple, a smidge shorter top-to-bottom.

The product pix on the web tend to show it with Bb/C/Eb type mix. I needed it for flugel + Bb. Pic of that config here. It's got a bunch of space left over which I just basically padded out so the horns don't move (and they don't).

This one really benefits from the wheels and retractable handle. The handle can be zipped off to slim down the bag if you prefer to use the backpack straps, maybe for walking in wet streets or if you ride a bike.

Hope that's all useful to the next person looking at these cases. Happy to answer more questions. Fullsize pix at https://bit.ly/mbcasepix21.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: