• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

From Intermediate to Advanced Flexibility Studies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HackAmateur

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: From Intermediate to Advanced Flexibility Studies? Reply with quote

This is my first post, so I may not be great at formatting. Forgive me in advance for that.

Before I get into the heart of my question, I will provide some basic information about where I am currently as a player, based on the different fundamentals.

Feel free to skip this next section ('straight to the point' section) if you don't care where ALL of my fundamentals currently are. Or, feel free to only read the flexibility part to save time.

Tone: Advanced (I use a bright 'commercial' timbre, think Conrad Gozzo or Doc Severinsen timbre, but they sound a bit better than me as their tones are stronger than mine)
Range:High F# above High C (in terms of high notes), Pedal G below Pedal C (in terms of low notes)... difficult to slot 'pedal' notes, but I can slot them... also difficult to slot High E, but I can slot it, too
Flexibility: Schlossberg's basic flexibility studies are my foundation (Schlossberg 31, 14, and 15 are part of my routine)... I am proficient at basic flexibility throughout my entire range, except sometimes with notes below low F#, it takes a second to lock in the correct pitch
Finger Dexterity: I practice Clark Technical #1 and #2, in addition to Arban's Characteristic Studies #13... I can play them at a decent, but not great speed at this time
Articulation: I use "tu" for regular single tonguing, "tu-ku" for double and triple tonguining, and "da" for 'legato' tonguing... I practice the double and triple tonguing throughout most of my range, from low C to High Eb above High C (but any higher or lower notes I can't double or triple tongue proficiently at this time, only single tongue)
Endurance: When I'm "fresh" chops, I can normally play up to Double G (aka. G above High C), but when my chops are exhausted, my highest clear and consistent note is High Eb... it takes about 30 minutes of practicing around my absolute highest notes (notes Higher than High Eb) to exhaust my chops

Straight to the point:
Now that the boring overall fundamentals part is out of the way, my priorities on what fundamentals to build and in what order are as follows:

1.) Tone (I'm satisfied with my tone and will continue to build it)
2.) Range (I won't really be satisfied with my range until that G above High C is always resonant and powerful, but I am satisfied with the progress I've made on Range so far)
3.) FLEXIBILITY (I'm not satisfied at all with this, I'm way too sloppy with certain intervals and want to improve)

So, with my tone being refined and me working specifically on range twice a week, I'm building myself up to have a high note range of Double G (G above High C). With fresh chops, I can blast out the High F# and almost feel paint off my bedroom walls. With tired chops, I can play a pretty strong High Eb currently. In the meantime, however, I want to be gaining Flexibility on top of the Range gains I'm currently experiencing.

Basic Schlossberg exercises are a solid foundation that I already have (Schlossberg 31, 14, and 15). But, I want to take my Flexibility to the next level.

Trumpet is a journey and, for me, my chops are getting way stronger, but my flexibility is too sloppy.

I already have a good foundation of BASIC flexibility. So, what are your recommendations on what I can do to take my flexibility to the next level?

If you've been in my position before on overall fundamentals, what has helped YOU to improve flexibility that is lagging behind your tone and range?

Thanks, everyone!

P.S. My Equipment
Bach Stradivarius 180 series Model 37
Two mouthpieces, a Schilke 15 and a Bob Reeves s692s5 with Schilke 15 rim

-Bach Strad 180 series 37
-Schilke 15
-Bob Reeves s692s w/ custom rim
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Hooten had an interesting post recently on slurring and flexibility studies. You can find it on his Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/tomhooten/channel/?hl=en

He groups flexibility studies into three categories, discusses what each is most useful for, and offers examples.

Based on what you are already doing, you might find the Arban slurring exercises beginning on page 42, or the Schlossberg lip drills starting with #59 on page 18 or some of the early studies in Ridgeon's "How Brass Players Do It" (2, 5, 8, 10...) to be a useful additional step and then build from there.

Good luck!
HackAmateur

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Tom Hooten had an interesting post recently on slurring and flexibility studies. You can find it on his Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/tomhooten/channel/?hl=en

He groups flexibility studies into three categories, discusses what each is most useful for, and offers examples.

Based on what you are already doing, you might find the Arban slurring exercises beginning on page 42, or the Schlossberg lip drills starting with #59 on page 18 or some of the early studies in Ridgeon's "How Brass Players Do It" (2, 5, 8, 10...) to be a useful additional step and then build from there.

Good luck!

I appreciate the advice and the resources, Dayton. I'll be looking into these things and likely incorporating them into my normal practice routine.

By the way, I'm a comeback player. Started back in January 2019 and made sure to take about 9 months of lessons from a commercial pro player just to make sure I didn't bring back my old (bad) habits from when I played in high school.

Speaking of Arban's starting on Page 42, I started attempting to practice that back in July 2019, but at the time, I didn't have the endurance to play those regularly, so I had to stop. My chops just weren't up to it.

Now, though, my chops are definitely stronger, so I believe I can handle these Arban's Page 42+ exercises. Only one way to find out!

-Schilke 15
deleted_user_7354402

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all the things you are looking to improve can be addressed in the Boom Method book by Dan Rosenboom. Check out some of his videos explaining his approach. The book sounds perfect for what you want. I think the part about lower and upper bends will really help slotting notes up higher and increase fullness of tone. So much great stuff in that book.
I hope this helps
HackAmateur

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcstott wrote:
I think all the things you are looking to improve can be addressed in the Boom Method book by Dan Rosenboom. Check out some of his videos explaining his approach. The book sounds perfect for what you want. I think the part about lower and upper bends will really help slotting notes up higher and increase fullness of tone. So much great stuff in that book.
I hope this helps

I'll check it out!

EDIT: I'm definitely going to be practicing excerpts from the Boom Method. I looked into it, including his YouTube video demonstrations, and I feel like that's exactly what I need to upgrade my flexibility from basic to good.

-Schilke 15
deleted_user_7354402

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the suggestion might be useful. It’s been pretty helpful for me and super great for me as far as upper register slotting, aperture control and strength, efficiency, and moving around the horn in a relaxed manner. Initially, the exercises really built up embouchure strength to the point that I would maybe do them two days in a row and then balance other days with stamp type flow studies. But after about two months of doing Dan’s exercises I really began to notice huge leaps in all the areas you are looking to improve in. I think I got the book last March and I probably work in it about every other day.
Dan is also great about answering specific questions you may have. He’s also a killer Jazz player as well and has some amazing albums worth checking out
deleted_user_7354402

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking as well, other books that are helpful in this regard might be Tom Steven’s After Schlossberg, specifically for extending Schlossberg concepts and also Pierre Thibauds Supplemental Method Book. The primary method is good as well but the supplemental puts it all together into a routine. If you hang out in his book, your pedal tones will be killer and the exercises can really make your lips supple and crazy efficient.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Intermediate Reply with quote

Hello,
You and I are about in the same place. I found that Colin lip flexibility volume 3 helped me most. Listening to people who could do the things I would like to do is a great aspect to discover. I did spend the pandemic switching to a Schilke 14. I love the sound, but it isnot really conducive for range. A 14B gets me closer, but a Warburgon 5M really helos support the upper range. Tone suffers down low though. I am not familiar with you Reeves, though I assume it is shallower. Imitating better players and analyzing what they do helps me much.
HackAmateur

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermediate Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello,
You and I are about in the same place. I found that Colin lip flexibility volume 3 helped me most. Listening to people who could do the things I would like to do is a great aspect to discover. I did spend the pandemic switching to a Schilke 14. I love the sound, but it isnot really conducive for range. A 14B gets me closer, but a Warburgon 5M really helos support the upper range. Tone suffers down low though. I am not familiar with you Reeves, though I assume it is shallower. Imitating better players and analyzing what they do helps me much.

I'll look into Colin lip flexibility volume 3 in addition to the other stuff mentioned here.

Speaking of mouthpieces...

Well, I have a Schilke 15 mouthpiece for times when I have to play 'concert band' or 'orchestral' type of stuff. Also, I like the Schilke 15 rim. To me, it's extremely comfortable. Also, it's worth noting that I hate every single Bach rim I've ever tried, but that's a whole different topic!

The Bob Reeves s692s5 is a commercial trumpet mouthpiece.

The '692s' specifically refers to one of their standard trumpet mouthpiece underparts. The 's' before 692s means 'shallow cup'. And the '5' after 692 means I had them make the shank slightly larger than usual for a more free-blowing type of sound (the s692s without the '5' is a shank size '4', their regular shank size). But, the rim on that mouthpiece is Schilke 15 rim threaded onto it. I don't like changing rims.

So yes, both my mouthpieces are incredibly different (except same rim). If I'm playing Beethoven or Paganini, I'm using the Schilke 15. If I'm playing soundtrack music or musical theater or pop music, I'm definitely using the commercial mouthpiece.

The difference isn't range itself, but more like range endurance (it's easier to play high notes more often on the commercial mouthpiece, but it doesn't "increase" my range). But that's not the BIGGEST difference between my two mouthpieces...

The BIGGEST difference, by far, is the tone quality and timbre. My normal timbre is 'bright' even on deep cup mouthpieces, so if I tried to play concert band music with the Bob Reeves, it would just cut through the entire ensemble and sound stupid. The Bob Reeves mouthpiece gives me more of a sizzle, more of an edgy tone, which is more suited to commercial stuff, not Paganini. lol

-Schilke 15
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:

Dayton - Thanks for posting this.

dcstott - Thanks for the tip on the Boom Method. I picked it up and it looks pretty interesting.

Hack Amateur - Its a process. Keep at it. It will happen in due time. I would recommend mixing thing up by using other methods. Things started to come together for me a little bit between year 2 year and year 3 of my comeback. I played mostly out of Irons 27 Groups up until that point. Now I kind of change it up every few months between Schlossberg, Irons and Ba Lin. Going to start mixing in Scott Belck and Laurie Frink material as well. There is a lot of material out there to keep things interesting.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: