• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip Slurs and Low Range

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lip Slurs and Low Range Reply with quote

HackAmateur wrote:

With beginners, to get any decent resonance at all, they normally HAVE to play at f or ff volume.

Ohhhhh, no, no, no, no, no

—Denny
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lip Slurs and Low Range Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
HackAmateur wrote:

With beginners, to get any decent resonance at all, they normally HAVE to play at f or ff volume.

—Denny

I don't really disagree with what HA said - beginners are doing whatever they need to in order to get a usable sound, and that usually doesn't have a lot of dynamic range - a solid mezzo forte to forte. Surely you remember back when you were a beginning player and being generally blatty and splatty.

For what it's worth, I don't think of anyone with more than 2 years on the horn as a beginner. For me, I was a beginner in 5th and 6th grade. (In my school, beginning band didn't start until 5th grade.) This was the point in time in my life as a trumpet player when we were mostly still learning basics out of method books and we introduced some tunes on sheet music toward the end of our 6th grade year.

By 7th grade the method books were mostly gone and we were learning real sheet music. At that point I'd like to think I moved into the intermediate category. 5th and 6th grade? Blatty and splatty. It is what it is.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Lip Slurs and Low Range Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
HackAmateur wrote:

—Denny

This depends on the individual student.
HackAmateur

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lip Slurs and Low Range Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Denny Schreffler wrote:
HackAmateur wrote:

—Denny

This depends on the individual student.

For me, this was certainly the case. I couldn't play mp or p volume with any good resonance until I had already practiced f and ff volumes. It was loud, but the "blatty" quality wasn't there for very long on louder volumes.

My issue was learning to play soft when I was a beginner. That was much harder than playing at regular or loud volumes.

But, maybe a different beginner than what I was would be better off starting with softer dynamics to produce resonance. I don't really know.

I'm not a teacher or a band director, so I don't get a bunch of beginners that I have to teach, but of course I've heard beginners playing in contexts where I wasn't the teacher. Almost always, it seemed they had to play a normal (not soft) volume or slightly loud to get good tone resonance out of their notes... just like me.

I guess it really does depend on the student, though. Band directors (who played trumpet in college) would know more about this than me, by far.

-Bach Strad 180 series 37
-Schilke 15
-Bob Reeves s692s w/ custom rim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: