• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

There is a Disservice Being Done to Young Trumpeters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HackAmateur wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:
A lot has been mentioned about strength but I have not found that to be more than an equal part of the equation to me. To me it has been more about learning how to coordinate to keep the lips in line with the breath. This involves keeping the teeth open and the lips in line to receive the air. Without that no method can work to achieve upper register. If teeth or tongue interfere with breath to the lips, range will suffer in direct proportion to the amount of interference. If the lips receive air properly it seems more a matter of developing corner memory and coordination to amount of breath applied. The strength and coordination has been helped by playing softly in upper register. I am simply applying the 2 aperture theory of the Stevens system, no more than that / and I can now ~”play” dbl high c and up after 3 or so months. It simply corrected a mp placement issue and opened my jaw a little more. I’m not saying my high notes are anything I can use ina gig as accuracy simply doesn’t exist, but I’m hitting good notes waay up there. I hope I can build on this to bring more and more usable notes. I don’t think you could call this a method but it sure make sense to explore it. It’s all based on simply putting the lips where they can best respond. I wish someone had shown me this in 64’ when I started.

I believe it!

But, you already had strong enough chops before adopting the Stevens System. If your chops weren't developed already, no theory would have worked very well for you. And that's what I'm saying here.

There are players with barely any development in their chops looking for "secrets" to expanding their range, and for them, there's no technique that will have them blasting out anything above High C or High D, because their chops aren't developed yet.

You had been playing for years and had great chops, so of course expanding your range truly was 'all technique'. That's why the Stevens System worked for you, but it probably wouldn't work for your average high school 10th grader who practices less than a half hour per day... they'd get frustrated and claim Stevens System "doesn't work" because Stevens System (or Maggio or anything else) can't give somebody strong chops. Chops have to be built from persistence and dedicated practice, proper fundamentals, etc., over time.

You had already put in that work, so you already had the chops.

I just did a test to see how much more strength it took me to go from a solid, loud D above high C up to an equally solid, loud double G. The answer is that it didn't take any more strength at all. It just took an extremely slight adjustment of the lower lip (raising the back of it slightly along the back of the upper lip) while I kept the air stream going.

Believe me. It's not a strength thing. It's a technique thing. If a player can play a solid D above C they already have sufficient strength to play the double G IF they employ the correct technique.

A common problem with the player who has a solid D above high C is that they are actually not using the proper technique to play the high D. So the player's embouchure is not in position to employ the proper technique/make the adjustments necessary to play higher. The player has the strength but the player cannot employ the technique.

One way to build embouchure strength is to just do the pencil exercise. Anyone can do it, even a beginner. When you can hold the pencil for 4 minutes you'll have enough chop strength to uproot a tree. At that point you'll still have difficulty with high range unless you employ the correct technique.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where have you seen that few acknowledge players with range that falls between high D and dub C? I can't say I've gotten that sense.

I think it's true that some people have a natural predisposition for higher notes, but there's a continuum. There are people like Doc who take to the horn like they were born to play it, but from everything I've read about him and certain tangible recorded evidence in his earlier pro career he wasn't known for having outstanding range - he was probably a dependable F/G player for a long time. From what I've seen when Doc was with Steve Allen's Tonight Show, he could move around the horn like crazy but Ernie Shavers was the resident high note guy. Double C's didn't come naturally to Doc like they did for Maynard. Eventually Doc found the key to becoming a dependable double C and then some player - and there are visible cues to his changing approach if you look at film of him over time.

I struggled for a very long time with chronic embouchure issues, pretty much anything over a G on top of the staff was a question mark even after I'd been playing for a number of years. Sometimes high C and D would come out but it was never dependable, never felt anchored. Overall my embouchure was very unstable. What made a difference for me was experimentation, making certain changes and also *being aware* of specifics of what I was doing. Maybe there are teachers who can tell you very specifically how to manipulate your setup to play higher, I never encountered a teacher who could help me. Of course *now* I could tell my younger self what to do. 🎺
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
HackAmateur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

I just did a test to see how much more strength it took me to go from a solid, loud D above high C up to an equally solid, loud double G. The answer is that it didn't take any more strength at all. It just took an extremely slight adjustment of the lower lip (raising the back of it slightly along the back of the upper lip) while I kept the air stream going.

Believe me. It's not a strength thing. It's a technique thing. If a player can play a solid D above C they already have sufficient strength to play the double G IF they employ the correct technique.

A common problem with the player who has a solid D above high C is that they are actually not using the proper technique to play the high D. So the player's embouchure is not in position to employ the proper technique/make the adjustments necessary to play higher. The player has the strength but the player cannot employ the technique.

One way to build embouchure strength is to just do the pencil exercise. Anyone can do it, even a beginner. When you can hold the pencil for 4 minutes you'll have enough chop strength to uproot a tree. At that point you'll still have difficulty with high range unless you employ the correct technique.

We agree on more than you might think. But first, I do want to point out that, when you have the strength to play Double High C or higher, going from High D to Double G isn't going to feel like any difference in strength.

An analogy: When you can bench press 400 pounds, the difference between one rep of 200 pounds versus one rep of 250 pounds is going to be far less noticeable than if your bench max is 275 pounds.

I don't have a strong Double G yet (though I can make it come out out of bell), but that F# one semitone below it is very strong (almost always ff volume when I want it to be). But, I do notice a difference in strength required, mostly in my lower orbicularis (more on that later).

The thing in my embouchure that I notice if I'm playing above High C# (so High D to High F#) is that my lower lip orbicularis is more activated (presumably it's holding my lower lip in the correct place) and my upper lip is slightly more "puckered" into the cup of the mouthpiece than it is in the middle register.

I don't think isometrics like pencil exercise are going to activate the correct combination of chop muscles (orbicularis upper and lower), though those exercises would be great if your buccinators reaching muscle failure on high notes. What I mean is the WAY those muscles are activated when holding a pencil with your lips is not the same way they're activated when playing notes from High D to Double G. I'd only cautiously recommend somebody to do the pencil exercise if they had weak buccinators.

So yeah, I understand that I'm doing something slightly different from my embouchure with high notes than middle register notes. But, if my lower orbicularis was weak, it wouldn't matter if my technique was correct or not. I'd be air-balling everything above High C because my lower orbicularis wouldn't be strong enough to hold that lower lip in the correct place.

We don't disagree as much as it may look like we do. Let's say, for example, that a trumpet player is using bad technique or isn't activating that lower orbicularis (the muscle used to hold the lower lip in the right place for high notes)... well, if you taught them the correct technique, they would still have to put in time and practice to build up their lower orbicularis by playing high notes regularly... same with upper orbicularis but to a lesser extent.

Learning the correct technique, if your lower orbicularis is weak, will unlock the potential to play above notes like High D, but until the player actually builds up the chops, the notes aren't going to be strong or usable in performances.

Unless somebody has been playing for over a decade, it's not likely that the correct technique would suddenly unlock multiple semitones.

What's more likely is, with the correct technique, the player will take 1 to 3 years to get all the semitones from High Eb to Double G, depending on the player's practice routine.

And the reason why pro players can simply not play for several weeks and then dust off their horn to play a Double G is because of two things: one thing is that your muscles don't start losing strength until at least 4 weeks have passed (even then, it's gradual loss of strength), and two is because of muscle memory. It's easier to rebuild chops than to build them the first time, in other words. Also, correct technique is a part of muscle memory. Your chops know where they SHOULD be.

The players who unlocked 7+ semitones from a technique or embouchure change are generally players who have been playing seriously for years, practicing diligently throughout those years. Somebody who doesn't fit that description isn't going to gain all those semitones at once. It will be gradual for them, one semitone per 2 months, give or take.

-Bach Strad 180 series 37
-Schilke 15
-Bob Reeves s692s w/ custom rim
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to internet lore at least, Ghitalla taught an adult beginner how to play above high C in about 20 minutes. It was discussed here: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136537&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

From the linK:
Quote:
I met the Italian trumpeter Andrea Toffanelli in Scotland some years ago. We had dinner and Andrea spoke highly about "Mundy".

As a kid, Andrea had good chops, but at the Conservatory in Lucca his teacher wanted to change his embouchure. Due to that, Andrea lost his chops. When he met Ghitalla, he got help and his high note chops came back.

Andrea also told about a stunt that Gitalla did at a seminar in Italy.
He wanted to prove a point: To play high notes is not so difficult.

They found a young man in the street outside, who had never played trumpet, to volunteer. Ghitalla gave him instructions how to form an embouchure etc. After some 20 minutes, Ghitalla asked the man to blow into the trumpet. Out came high notes (above high C).
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strength is task specific. Strength is a technique. My experience teaching is that separating and trying to "train" strength separate from technique typically causes more problems than it solves.

As someone plays, the muscles will gain strength to play that way, right or wrong.

We don't put a 18 month old on a leg press machine to improve their walking.

Just some thoughts.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was really trying to say is more attention should be placed on the 2 aperture setup from the beginning. So that as other skills develop thru play and practice, range can grow with it naturally, not due to a change you had to make to correct a flaw you learned on your first day. I haven’t fully explored Stevens, but the 2 aperture system makes so much sense as a beginning to trumpet. I have truly thought this they and I see only advAntages to this.
Rod
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
... Of course *now* I could tell my younger self what to do. :) 🎺

------------------------------
Don't make us beg, describe what you would 'tell' - and if possible the details of how what you 'do' accomplishes better playing.
YES - this might all be only relevant to your particular situation and your 'understanding' of the description, but it might help others analyze and change their own playing.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We don't put a 18 month old on a leg press machine to improve their walking.

Neither do we demand that they carry heavy dumbbells when taking their first steps.

Yet, teachers demand beginner players to buzz the mouthpiece, or worse, free buzz, before they play the full magnificent and efficient resonance of the instrument.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a another test. This time I wanted to see how much more chop strength it took me to go from a solid, loud D above high C up to an equally solid, loud double C. The answer is that it didn't take any more chop strength at all. What it took was more abdominal strength to support the more resisted air stream.

I'll restate my point about chop strength: If a high school age (or any age) player has a good, solid D above high C they have sufficient chop strength to play a double C and beyond. So, why can't they do it? In most cases the reason is relatively simple: The embouchure they use to play the D above high C is not consistent with the technique needed to play higher and because of that they are unable to make the technique adjustments necessary to play higher. If they try their sound typically falls apart because it alters their embouchure into an unplayable configuration.

We all have a limit on how high of a note we can play. That's because our physiology ultimately limits us. In my case I go from D above high C to double G to double C with a very simple adjustment: I raise the back of my lower lip up toward the back side of my upper lip and the pitch goes up. It is a lip compression technique. I'm limited by my physiology, however, in how far I can make that adjustment and, therefore, how high I can produce a note.

In my case the absolute limit has been G above double C. Even for that note the chop strength is the same as the chop strength for the D above high C. The difference is the positioning of the lower lip and the increased abdominal strength applied to keep the air stream going in the face of increased resistance.

If you think playing higher and higher and higher requires more and more and more chop strength you are chasing a fiction down a rabbit hole.

You report that you have the F# above high C but the double G is a problem. You think the problem is chop strength. If, in fact, the problem is chop strength it's because the embouchure you're using to play the F# above high C is not consistent with the technique necessary to play higher. So, you're trying to substitute chop strength for technique.

In fact, most players who are using an embouchure which is inconsistent with the technique needed to play higher and try to use chop strength as the basis for playing higher ultimately top out at about F# above high C. Some can ultimately get the double G but only with inconsistency and a lot of effort. That describes me 20 years ago, which is the point at which I figured out what embouchure and technique I needed to go a lot higher. So I've been there and have done that.

It sounds to me that this describes your situation. If you could apply the correct technique with the chop strength you already have you would see instantaneous and dramatic results without increasing your chop strength at all. Extreme high range is not the result of super human chop strength. It's a result of normal developed chop strength coupled with the technique needed to produce extreme high range. It's all about leverage, not chop strength.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the best technique requires increasing embouchure effort to ascend. But that trajectory can certainly be drastically improved with the right approach. "Strength" and "effort" are not the same thing.

As has been pointed out, high strength means less effort is required for a given task.

The best approach is to improve efficiency of effort AND strength. That gives headroom for fatigue, both chronic and acute.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Even the best technique requires increasing embouchure effort to ascend. But that trajectory can certainly be drastically improved with the right approach. "Strength" and "effort" are not the same thing.

As has been pointed out, high strength means less effort is required for a given task.

The best approach is to improve efficiency of effort AND strength. That gives headroom for fatigue, both chronic and acute.

A friend of mine has the ability to play in the extreme upper register. When I first met him, he had just gotten to the Old Guard Fife & Drum Corps, and in chatting with him a bit in the bugle room, he started telling me about how he was a high note player, and used Callet's Superchops technique. I was skeptical - remember, this is day 1 of meeting the guy, and at that point I didn't personally know anyone who owned a double C, so I asked him to show me.

So he was all like, "ok - let me get the pitch in my head," and he tooted a low C a couple of times.

Then, on a one-valve Bb bugle with a Bach 1.5C mouthpiece, he popped the cleanest, clearest, most controlled double C I think I've ever heard.

According to Bryan, the reason many people fail to achieve that stratospheric range is a fault of the traditional approach to it - we are taught to work up from our lower register. The issue with that approach, according to him, is that it can't sustain the kind of compression you need in the extreme upper register - there comes a point where it just breaks down. At that point, you HAVE to switch over to a chops setting that starts fundamentally in the correct way to play up there - basically, you are already set to play in the stratosphere, and you learn to play lower, rather than the approach of starting low and trying to learn to play higher.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Robert P wrote:
... Of course *now* I could tell my younger self what to do. 🎺

------------------------------
Don't make us beg, describe what you would 'tell' - and if possible the details of how what you 'do' accomplishes better playing.
YES - this might all be only relevant to your particular situation and your 'understanding' of the description, but it might help others analyze and change their own playing.

I've been trying to re-find where I've described it in here before so I don't have to reinvent the wheel but in general it involves finding the way of setting the mouthpiece that makes it feel anchored and also facilitates moving through the range of the horn - and how I set the mp *does* make a difference. Also being aware of various elements of how the facial muscles come into play, the opening of the teeth, horn angle, the mouth cavity, specific awareness that the tissue under the mp needs to be relaxed, that the tension is transferred subtly from the surrounding musculature, awareness of lip tissue that extends past the edges of the teeth.

For a very long time I never really felt like the mp felt natural on my lips - it never felt like it was in a "notch" or pocket where it belonged. When I went higher, it felt like it was slipping off - this was really aggravating. I would practice endlessly but I never got any real improvement other than on certain elements of technique within a limited range - but I was constantly struggling with this fundamentally unstable-feeling embouchure that other kids who played didn't seem to experience. Looking back now I realize I never got any improvement because I wasn't doing anything fundamentally different. Teachers I had were like most teachers, they could prescribe exercises and guide you in certain points of musicianship but they didn't have a clue how to help me with the nitty gritty of the mechanical frustrations I was having.

Even back in the bad old days of my playing history once in a blue moon I could slide up to a pretty decent F but it was a total accident, it wasn't something I could repeat and didn't have the vaguest idea of how I did it. Two minutes later I might not successfully pick off an A over the staff. The only thing it told me was that it was *possible* for my chops to produce higher notes, though I wasn't confident it was anything but a fluke, that it was possible for me to do it consistently, that my lips might just not be configured to allow it.

Another specific example - I couldn't play chromatically from a low F# to a high C without resetting the mp. I worked at that specific thing over and over, but I couldn't transition from the setup I needed to play the low F# to get to the high C, at some point the notes simply stopped speaking.

I also moved to a more centered placement and shortened my upper incisors so that they're even with the adjacent teeth. That made an immediate, obvious difference - not in range at first but I could immediately play a lot *louder*, fatter. I had sensed the teeth were hampering air flow and vibration of the lip tissue and apparently I was right. Changing mouthpieces also helped.

Real range improvement required changing the balance of how I was using the facial muscles and the rest of the mechanics of how I was playing.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:13 am; edited 6 times in total
HackAmateur

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I just did a another test. This time I wanted to see how much more chop strength it took me to go from a solid, loud D above high C up to an equally solid, loud double C. The answer is that it didn't take any more chop strength at all. What it took was more abdominal strength to support the more resisted air stream.

I'll restate my point about chop strength: If a high school age (or any age) player has a good, solid D above high C they have sufficient chop strength to play a double C and beyond. So, why can't they do it? In most cases the reason is relatively simple: The embouchure they use to play the D above high C is not consistent with the technique needed to play higher and because of that they are unable to make the technique adjustments necessary to play higher. If they try their sound typically falls apart because it alters their embouchure into an unplayable configuration.

We all have a limit on how high of a note we can play. That's because our physiology ultimately limits us. In my case I go from D above high C to double G to double C with a very simple adjustment: I raise the back of my lower lip up toward the back side of my upper lip and the pitch goes up. It is a lip compression technique. I'm limited by my physiology, however, in how far I can make that adjustment and, therefore, how high I can produce a note.

In my case the absolute limit has been G above double C. Even for that note the chop strength is the same as the chop strength for the D above high C. The difference is the positioning of the lower lip and the increased abdominal strength applied to keep the air stream going in the face of increased resistance.

If you think playing higher and higher and higher requires more and more and more chop strength you are chasing a fiction down a rabbit hole.

You report that you have the F# above high C but the double G is a problem. You think the problem is chop strength. If, in fact, the problem is chop strength it's because the embouchure you're using to play the F# above high C is not consistent with the technique necessary to play higher. So, you're trying to substitute chop strength for technique.

In fact, most players who are using an embouchure which is inconsistent with the technique needed to play higher and try to use chop strength as the basis for playing higher ultimately top out at about F# above high C. Some can ultimately get the double G but only with inconsistency and a lot of effort. That describes me 20 years ago, which is the point at which I figured out what embouchure and technique I needed to go a lot higher. So I've been there and have done that.

It sounds to me that this describes your situation. If you could apply the correct technique with the chop strength you already have you would see instantaneous and dramatic results without increasing your chop strength at all. Extreme high range is not the result of super human chop strength. It's a result of normal developed chop strength coupled with the technique needed to produce extreme high range. It's all about leverage, not chop strength.

That's pretty interesting. It's true that the F# above High C is my highest note that I can own (with fresh chops)... and with completely exhausted chops, I have a strong High Eb. That (the High Eb limit) is if I've beaten my chops to death or over-practiced. And if my chops aren't fresh, but aren't exhausted either, High F and High E are usually still strong.

So, since you said that, about 20 years ago, you were in the same position as me when it comes to high notes... I'm extremely curious as to what your advice would be for me to unlock more semitones of high notes.

What would you suggest I do to take my High F# limit to something less limited? You alluded to this being a sticking point for yourself in the past, but you didn't elaborate on how you overcame it specifically. I'm curious.

-Bach Strad 180 series 37
-Schilke 15
-Bob Reeves s692s w/ custom rim
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne Bergeron and Jim Manley offer lessons on their websites.

Many other trumpeters who can walk the walk as well.

While a person cannot save all of the young kids from
information that may be a “disservice” to them……
……common sense is still available in the world.

It never hurts to find someone who CAN DO something
that you want to learn and study with them.

One cannot be too picky when sifting through

the free advice section of life. Discernment is on the individual.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first step in increasing my range was to learn more about how high range is actually produced. I acquired several publications by Pops McLaughlin including his publication entitled "How The Chops Work." These materials introduced me to methodologies about how resistance is created including lip to lip compression and increasing the length of the aperture tunnel.

I then began experimenting with these concepts. It took lot of experimentation over a long period of time before I arrived at my current approach. The process was to try things consistent with the concepts and see what worked and what didn't work. It was a trial and error process. My results were very inconsistent for a long time.

What I found was that the simpler and less extreme the process the better results I obtained. I ultimately arrived at my current method which is simply to push up the back of my lower lip so it slides up and behind my upper lip, thus increasing the length of the aperture tunnel. That method coordinated easily with my normal embouchure so it was easy for me to execute. It became a normal extension of my normal embouchure. It enabled me to play my entire range on a single embouchure setting. As I go higher I am just doing the thing I've described to a greater and greater extent.

Keep in mind that this motion is very slight. It is not exaggerated. If you watched me go from the D above high C to the double G and then to the double C you wouldn't notice any change in my embouchure at all. Everything is happening at and around the aperture. Nothing is happening at the corners, those remain constant.

So, what do I suggest for you? As I said in prior posts your personal physiology is a big factor in what is going to work for you. That being said, the thing that I think is a constant in developing range is aperture control. You want to focus on increasing the control of the aperture.

To do that you have to get in touch with the aperture. One way to do that is to do a simple exercise: Put a drinking straw in your mouth and grip it with your aperture. Get the feel of what it is to use just the muscles controlling your aperture.

If you're going to work on developing strength it's the muscles you use to grip the straw you want to work on. Those muscles are pretty weak compared to the muscles controlling the corners. They have to be developed so that you can consciously and actively control your aperture. That's what I'm doing with the technique I use. Other techniques may be more consistent with how your physiology dictates the shape of your embouchure but the principles of aperture control are the same.

Reconcile yourself to the fact that it's a trial and error thing. It can be very frustrating. I would do things that seemed to work to some extent one day but the next day I was getting inconsistent results. It's an evolving process. What I ultimately found was that I was trying to do too much. I was not focusing enough on just the aperture.

Some say that you want to make the aperture smaller and smaller. That would increase resistance but trying to make the aperture smaller and smaller didn't work for me. It might work for you. It might not work for you. What worked for me was increasing the length of the aperture tunnel. It might work for you. It might not work for you. As I said above. it's a trial and error thing and an evolving process.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
... What worked for me was increasing the length of the aperture tunnel. It might work for you. It might not work for you. As I said above. it's a trial and error thing and an evolving process.

--------------------------------------------------
It might be that 'increasing the length of the aperture tunnel' helps because it exposes the lip tissue that is capable of vibrating at the higher pitches.

The 'key' is finding a way of adjusting the lips so that they CAN and WILL vibrate when there is air flow.

If the sensation of 'increasing the tunnel' gives the results, then great - pay attention to what you are DOING and how it FEELS so you can make it part of your technique.

For other people the 'tunnel' might be less important, but different adjustments would allow the desired lip vibrations.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
... What worked for me was increasing the length of the aperture tunnel. It might work for you. It might not work for you. As I said above. it's a trial and error thing and an evolving process.

--------------------------------------------------
It might be that 'increasing the length of the aperture tunnel' helps because it exposes the lip tissue that is capable of vibrating at the higher pitches.

The 'key' is finding a way of adjusting the lips so that they CAN and WILL vibrate when there is air flow.

If the sensation of 'increasing the tunnel' gives the results, then great - pay attention to what you are DOING and how it FEELS so you can make it part of your technique.

For other people the 'tunnel' might be less important, but different adjustments would allow the desired lip vibrations.

What increasing the length of the aperture tunnel does for me is increase resistance. The technique I use also focuses the vibrations on softer tissue on the back side of the upper lip which can vibrate more easily.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: There is a Disservice Being Done to Young Trumpeters Reply with quote

HackAmateur wrote:
It turns out my highest (usable in performance) trumpet note is High F#. I've played a G# above High C before, but I've never played a single note higher than that, period. People like me apparently don't exist online at all, except for me I guess.

There's no gimmick to playing high notes. You need a strong embouchure and you need to practice playing high notes regularly. If your underlying fundamentals are sound prior to doing that, you will gain range over time, gradually.

THERE ISN'T A GIMMICK. There's no "take my course and in one month, you'll be blasting out Double High C's, even though your highest note was regular High C prior to that". That is FAKE.

"technique" won't do anything for them at all. Technique only works if you already have strong chops, but there's a technique barrier to your higher range. In most cases, that's not what is happening to prevent high notes.

My highest usable note is a High F# above High C. The highest note I've ever played in my life was a High G# above High C.

There are no "gimmicks" or tricks that will make you magically unlock an entire octave of range out of nowhere. This is bullcrap and needs to stop being marketed to you.

Glad that your highest (usable in performance) trumpet note is High F# above Hi-C and that you’ve played a G# above High C before.

Without specific discussion or recommendation ►especially to non-established players◄ there are tips, tricks, and gimmicks that — with careful and thoughtful experimentation — can offer possibilities for different and more efficient ways to play, some, almost instantly

•TCE
•Jerry Callet
•Walt Johnson's. Double Hi-C in Ten Minutes
•Nick Drozdoff’s Lo-Gear/Hi-Gear
•Tastee Bros
•Herbert L Clarke’s “stunt, “ the specifics of which are nebulous — there is a trick I used to practice when traveling with Sousa, when my lips did not seem to respond after being up all night with local town bands, and playing my usual solos the next day. You know the condition, eh? Well, by practicing this "stunt" carefully, knowing just how to get each interval, correctly from high "C" up, I have often reached two octaves above "G" in the top space of the scale - Sometimes higher. This takes no strength, power nor strain

A couple of worth-much-more-than-their cost, non-gimmicky approaches are Jeff Smiley’s Balanced Embouchure and George Rawlin’s Air Play. There are others, I’m sure.

—Denny
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I ultimately arrived at my current method which is simply to push up the back of my lower lip so it slides up and behind my upper lip, thus increasing the length of the aperture tunnel.

I question whether "increasing the length of the aperture tunnel" is what's happening when what you're describing works.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

What increasing the length of the aperture tunnel does for me is increase resistance. The technique I use also focuses the vibrations on softer tissue on the back side of the upper lip which can vibrate more easily.

---------------------------------
I'm curious about why you believe that 'increasing resistance' is helpful?

I DO think that adjusting the resistance can be useful because the 'lip adjustment' (lip posture) that results from the actions of changing resistance (or adjusting lip tunnel) helps determine the pitch at which the lips will vibrate.

Your description can be very useful to some people, especially if they can recognize and feel 'lip tunnel', and how vibrations can be focused on different areas of lip tissue.

The possible 'danger' that I see is if someone thinks 'I just have to increase resistance', and results in making their lips unable to vibrate.
From a viewpoint of 'learning' or 'teaching', the words that are used (and how they are understood) is very important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: