• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

There is a Disservice Being Done to Young Trumpeters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Ignorant in that they don’t have knowledge or perspective - 👍

as long as people don’t think ignorant means stupid as they often do.

I meant it in the sense that they either don’t know, or deliberately choose to ignore the other aspects of playing for reasons of their own.

Imho, ‘stupid’ is often a difference in point of view that from that of the accuser, whom themselves are often ignorant of the things that have formed the opinion of the person they’re accusing. But I may be ignorant stating that.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve0930 wrote:
Rod, I admire you passion. Is there anything more important when it come harnessing / mastering the trumpet?. For me the lure of the high notes is that - like formula 1 motor racing - feel comfortable with these and everything else feels easy.

You wrote
Quote:
But I’m not a pro and never made my money with trumpet

3 days ago I went to the Metro tunnel in Helsinki. Everyone was wearing masks. I felt nervous but I thought "what the hell? " I had "The Equalizer" with me (My Number 2 trumpet) I played for 25 minutes and left 7euros richer. I felt like a King.

Stay safe - steve-in Helsinki.

I made a little money in regional dance bands but at 40$ per night nobody made much. From 64 to 70 I probably made more playing taps in military funerals sadly! Just didn’t see music at that time giving me the money I needed to live as easily as business. Besides I still needed a solid note or 2 to cut a hard gig. When I came back it was because I had always tried to finish what I started. It took years to get to a level where I wasn’t ashamed to play in front of people. I’m now close enough to my school level that I’ve started to learn how to read chord charts and have a solid f pretty much any time and can “practice play” notes in the double range with little control. This was because I was hard headed and wanted to prove to myself that I could have done it if I’d chosen another path - probably a matter of pride. When I started back almost 8 yrs ago I realized that I had to get back a solid footing to even play what I memorized and played easily when I played regularly. About 3 years ago I realized I could start expanding what I knew, and after a lot of experimenting found some things that worked better than what I was doing. This is thanks to many lessons and enough sense to take what worked and ignore the rest. No one thing got me a few more notes except maybe an open mind and a willingness to try new things. I’m not sure if I had the mindset to do that on my own in 70.@ I knew about North Texas and the Airforce bands and had ins to both, but getting those notes was an unknown and I only wanted to play lead in the name bands so business degrees while playing sports seemed easier at the time. I’ve missed music in the years since and made it a point to get them if I was going to put in the time it takes. I do have passion for music but it’s ego and pride too🤓
Rod
Strobe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rod Haney"]
doitallman wrote:
Only amateurs care about range.[/

And pros who are limited to orchestral section or don’t care for first or lead. That was kind of a snarky statement. And although you are probably a good player you have to admit that having a full range of 3 octaves from low g to hi g is desirable - playable range. Are you saying that having and working on that range is for amateurs only? I feel that the statement leads to mediocrity and a desire to stay within your own personal comfort level. I doubt many who rose above felt the way you do. Pros that I personally knew cared about it all, and tried to play everything put in front of them. If notes that challenged them appeared to them they learned how to get them or just didn’t get called again. Which pros do you know that don’t care about this?
Rod
. I like what you said about "challenging" yourself as opposed to accepting "mediocrity". As I've matured I have learned to appreciate the music more and as I practice and try new approaches I'm becoming a better musician. This includes taking more risks while soloing, playing where I might have been intimidated as a younger player, and working on range enough so I can play the lead parts well without sounding like I am struggling. I agree - yes I care about range, but not at the expensive of the music, and not as a singular pursuit.
Bach Hybrid 239
Olds Super Recording ''40's
King Cleveland ''76 (My First)
Olds Super Cornet ' '59
Boston 3 Star Cornet 1912
King Silvertone Cornet '35
Gawis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Weakness identification Reply with quote

Could anybody assist with weakness identification after looking at my video. If there is any volunteer please let me know so I post a link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: