• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kurt Thompson Finally Something Great (not trolling)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
I don't think there is enough industrial-strength cleaner east of the Mississippi to cleanse my ears and brain from that.

And apparently his interpretation of written articulation and note values comes down to simply "whatevs."

You know, I was tempted to give it a listen but now I'm not so sure.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
I don't think there is enough industrial-strength cleaner east of the Mississippi to cleanse my ears and brain from that.

And apparently his interpretation of written articulation and note values comes down to simply "whatevs."

And someone liked this?
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
trpthrld wrote:

Please...PLEASE...don't let me be the only one.

What would we talk about at the reunion?

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
trpthrld wrote:

It's bad, it's not comically bad but the phrasing and rhythm is amateur and the tone sucks. The accuracy is good, he doesn't chip notes, so that's good.

It is not an example of good trumpet playing, and I don't need to post myself playing it to have the credentials to say that.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
delano wrote:
Some here simply don't agree with this but that has nothing to do with Kurt's playing. In fact nobody here has criticized the playing of KT.

There are at least two instances in the thread above where his playing was criticized. I can quote them back to you if you'd like.

The issue at hand when it comes to KT is that people can't separate the playing from the person - KT crafted a reputation for himself here on the TH, and people have a very hard time getting past that.

I tend to see it kind of like HERMOKIWI, and I'll paraphrase - "put up or shut up."

Yeah nice words, but I know where they come from.
But there is another reason I did not and did not want to give comment on KT's playing. You see, this is a video. While it's apparent that he's actually playing in the video, we don't know if that's what we're hearing. It's quite likely he recorded that in a studio, got the recording he wanted, and then filmed the video over the top of the audio.

Maybe you don't know but in this digital era almost everything is possible to fake. And in fact this phenomenon is quite old, let I give you an example (scroll to 0'50):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcb5TGy37o4&ab_channel=WarnerArchive

It may look to you that (capt?) Kirk is playing here but that is not true, Kirk may have had a few trumpet lessons but the actual playing was done by Harry James, so they told me.
So in KT's clip there is a real possibility that what we saw in the video may not have been a live take - it's very likely that he recorded the audio separately in the studio and then "lip syched" to that audio recording for the purposes of the video.
So we can't draw any conclusions. Heck, we can't even be absolutely sure that this was HIM! We can assume it was - is anyone really that dishonest?

Last edited by delano on Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, whether that was him playing live in that video or lip syncing, I didn't think KT's playing was all that bad. And, like Patrick, even if I thought it was bad I wouldn't criticize it because I know I can't play better than KT.

George

PS: And, as delano stated, that truly was Harry James playing for Kirk Douglas in Young Man With A Horn.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing of TH is that even on posts there is an awful lot of reverb.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Well, whether that was him playing live in that video or lip syncing, I didn't think KT's playing was all that bad. And, like Patrick, even if I thought it was bad I wouldn't criticize it because I know I can't play better than KT.

George

PS: And, as delano stated, that truly was Harry James playing for Kirk Douglas in Young Man With A Horn.

I'm pretty sure I play classical repertoire better than KT. Just sayin.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
So in KT's clip there is a real possibility that what we saw in the video may not have been a live take - it's very likely that he recorded the audio separately in the studio and then "lip syched" to that audio recording for the purposes of the video.

The video was done in 4 sections spliced together. If he was pretending to play over a recording he would have done the video in one continuous section.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
It is not an example of good trumpet playing, and I don't need to post myself playing it to have the credentials to say that.

Well stated, Sir.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Yeah nice words...

The only people in this thread who know the inanity of what you are posting are me and you. This is not that thread, and this is not that argument.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
HackAmateur

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:

It's a little bit a guess but your concept of a good trumpet sound seems to be something like a commercial, bright sound.

Your guess is half right. I have multiple concepts of a good trumpet sound, but I consider the "ideal" sound a bright, rich, "sizzling" commercial sound. This is only because I prefer soundtrack music, musical theater music, and commercial solo stuff including pop music (but only pop music composed with intermediate complexity harmonies, not the I-vi-IV-V permanent vamp you hear on American radio stations).

When I hear someone like Alison Balsom or maybe Chris Botti, that's not my ideal sound I prefer to hear, but they're definitely good trumpet sounds.

The reason for my sound concept being this way is because of the kind of music I prefer from a compositional standpoint. I like soundtrack music (both film and video game), I like musical theater stuff (e.g., Broadway productions), and I like pop music that deviates from the cookie cutter harmonies I'm familiar with in the United States (e.g., Japanese Pop Music is a perfect example where this kind of harmonic complexity is very common). You know, pop music with a lot of spice added to it.

I have a strong preference for intermediate (in terms of music theory) harmonies... things that are accessible for a general audience, but also interesting to a musician analyzing it using music theory. Stuff that is beautiful to both the general public and music academics. Great American examples of this are Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder, though Ray Charles is more jazz and Stevie Wonder is more "elevated harmony" pop.

Quote:
A classical, orchestral trumpet player nowadays has a BIG sound but not 'dark' as that concept is used in jazz, sometimes even with the use of a flügelhorn.
The classical sound is big but with loads of resonance which make the sound living and singing. In fact it's a great sound and I fell completely for it. In fact the only right way to learn to appreciate it is hearing it in a live situation.

Big sound is what I meant when I said "fat" orchestral tone. So, I think we might have gotten mixed up with semantics a little bit. It's hard for me to describe what I mean by "edgy" classical soloist tone, though. It's tough to describe what I mean by "edgy". But basically, I'm referring to players like Sergei and Alison's tone characteristics when I say that. It's what makes the difference (to my ears) between a random trumpet player in the orchestra versus Sergei or Alison. That difference is what I'm calling "edgy" classical soloist tone.

There's probably a better way to describe it, but audio of those players speaks for itself way better than I could type a description of it!

-Bach Strad 180 series 37
-Schilke 15
-Bob Reeves s692s w/ custom rim
HackAmateur

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:

Well, it's a solo he recorded with a backing track. So, as long as his articulation and rhythms strongly resemble the original ones, in the context of a solo w/accompaniment track, the player ought to have the freedom to play it in their own style.

If he was in an ensemble situation, his interpretation of the written articulation and note values would be awful, but this is a solo with accompaniment track. lol

-Schilke 15
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:

I wouldn't doubt that for a moment, Patrick.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
trickg wrote:

??? What makes you so sure? (I have really no idea).
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HackAmateur wrote:
trpthrld wrote:

Well, it's a solo he recorded with a backing track. So, as long as his articulation and rhythms strongly resemble the original ones, in the context of a solo w/accompaniment track, the player ought to have the freedom to play it in their own style.

If he was in an ensemble situation, his interpretation of the written articulation and note values would be awful, but this is a solo with accompaniment track. lol

Absolutely correct.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
GeorgeB wrote:
trickg wrote:

For jazz improvisation I think I could play circles around Kurt. For playing the lead book in a big band, however, I wouldn't want to go head to head (or horn to horn) with him, I think he can play that pretty well, a lot better than I could.

Thankfully (for me), I don't want to play the lead book in a big band. Give me the 3rd book, however, and I won't disappoint.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
GeorgeB wrote:
trickg wrote:

I made my living as a full-time active duty Army trumpet player for 10 years. Even if I don't have the chops I had back in those days, I'm not exactly a hack, and even though I made a lot of money over the years playing commercial-type music, my background prior to that was classical - lots and lots of church playing, brass quintet, etc.

There's no way I'd want to go head to head with him on commercial or lead playing, but I hold my own when it comes to classical repertoire, playing with a good sound, intonation, phrasing, etc.
- ACB Doubler

cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
cheiden wrote:
trpthrld wrote:

Okay, I did it. My strongest reaction is to wonder why anybody is getting particularly excited about this trifle of a video. The song and the production are garden-variety karaoke stuff. There's not really much in way of creativity to be judged. His tone and approach are fine for some stuff and I won't fault anyone for liking it. What I don't hear is anything particularly excellent by any metric.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
HackAmateur

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
trpthrld wrote:
cheiden wrote:
trpthrld wrote:

Okay, I did it. My strongest reaction is to wonder why anybody is getting particularly excited about this trifle of a video. The song and the production are garden-variety karaoke stuff. There's not really much in way of creativity to be judged. His tone and approach are fine for some stuff and I won't fault anyone for liking it. What I don't hear is anything particularly excellent by any metric.

The 'metric' is KT's past videos... and the metric is also that I like pop music with intermediate harmonies. But mainly, I was just surprised that KT played this with good musicality, considering nothing I've seen from him in the past was musical.

We all know that he can sure scream high notes, but this is the first example I've seen of him playing some high notes in a musical way. The high E at the end was a nice touch and the other notes above the staff weren't loud and crass I expected from him.

He has been uploading trumpet videos for like a decade, so I think it's fair game to point out the fact he played this with a pretty good tone. What's wrong with pointing out the fact that somebody's tone is getting better after a decade of harsh, unmusical high note playing? lol

-Schilke 15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: