• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kurt Thompson Finally Something Great (not trolling)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
trickg wrote:
delano wrote:
Some here simply don't agree with this but that has nothing to do with Kurt's playing. In fact nobody here has criticized the playing of KT.

There are at least two instances in the thread above where his playing was criticized. I can quote them back to you if you'd like.

The issue at hand when it comes to KT is that people can't separate the playing from the person - KT crafted a reputation for himself here on the TH, and people have a very hard time getting past that.

I tend to see it kind of like HERMOKIWI, and I'll paraphrase - "put up or shut up."

Yeah nice words, but I know where they come from.
But there is another reason I did not and did not want to give comment on KT's playing. You see, this is a video. While it's apparent that he's actually playing in the video, we don't know if that's what we're hearing. It's quite likely he recorded that in a studio, got the recording he wanted, and then filmed the video over the top of the audio.

Maybe you don't know but in this digital era almost everything is possible to fake. And in fact this phenomenon is quite old, let I give you an example (scroll to 0'50):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcb5TGy37o4&ab_channel=WarnerArchive

It may look to you that (capt?) Kirk is playing here but that is not true, Kirk may have had a few trumpet lessons but the actual playing was done by Harry James, so they told me.
So in KT's clip there is a real possibility that what we saw in the video may not have been a live take - it's very likely that he recorded the audio separately in the studio and then "lip syched" to that audio recording for the purposes of the video.
So we can't draw any conclusions. Heck, we can't even be absolutely sure that this was HIM! We can assume it was - is anyone really that dishonest?

Well played, sir.

Thread killer.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
delano wrote:
GeorgeB wrote:
trickg wrote:

I'm pretty sure I play classical repertoire better than KT. Just sayin.

I wouldn't doubt that for a moment, Patrick.

??? What makes you so sure? (I have really no idea).

I made my living as a full-time active duty Army trumpet player for 10 years. Even if I don't have the chops I had back in those days, I'm not exactly a hack, and even though I made a lot of money over the years playing commercial-type music, my background prior to that was classical - lots and lots of church playing, brass quintet, etc.

There's no way I'd want to go head to head with him on commercial or lead playing, but I hold my own when it comes to classical repertoire, playing with a good sound, intonation, phrasing, etc.

Yes, you are right. I have no knowledge of Americam army bands. I had some vague notion of a show orchestra but my opinion in this is based on nothing, just an idea. Here in Holland the few army bands consist of very well classical educated pro musicians and there is indeed no reason to think that that is different in the USA. Maybe the looks are different, often the army bands here look a little bit boring.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, delano Patrick posted his history before I got around to answering your question of what made me so sure he could outplay KT in classical playing. I liked your truly honest reply to Patrick.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: