• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

KTM and multiple tonguing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gradyfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: KTM and multiple tonguing Reply with quote

I switched to KTM two months ago, and I'm now very happy with the results, with one exception.

Before, with the tongue tip placed behind the upper teeth, I was able to double- and triple-tongue cleanly and rapidly. Using KTM hampers the speed of my multiple tonguing, and it's sloppy. I'll add that I can now single-tongue sixteenth notes cleanly using KTM at the same bpm I could before the switch. Also, I regularly practice K tonguing and can K tongue well. So I don't think the problem lies there, either.

I understand it may simply be that I need to give it more time (although I have been at it the last month on a daily basis with little progress). But I wondered if anyone had the same difficulty with multiple tonguing when they made the switch to KTM and whether they have any tips (other than lots more practice) to solve the problem.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to focus on relaxing the tongue. Don’t force the tip of the tongue into position, let it “wander” some. Air/fluidity.

In my experience, KTM is easy to over articulate…as in, too harsh, too much tension.
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gradyfan

Claude Gordon's
KTM / K Tongue Modified:
First a word about tongue placement. Say the syllables "aw - eee - aw - eee" and you will notice that the tip of tongue stays behind the lower teeth.

The tip of the tongue should not be anchored rigidly behind the lower teeth, since the tongue must be allowed to float up and down into the correct level for each note. Let the tongue tip go where it needs to go but no higher than the very top of the bottom teeth.

The tip, then, should be placed lightly behind the lower teeth, by the top of the teeth, not down at the gum line.

The front center portion of the tongue moves forward to make the attack against the upper teeth.
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes time. Have patience. I feel like I progressed slower than most people. A CG friend that started around the same as me could soon do 16ths at 160 but for me I probably was at about 100 before KTM and in a month at 110’and then in a year at 120 and another couple years got to 150 and short spurts at 160. I can K tongue though faster than most people around 150 or faster. Focus on the clarity and don’t worry about speed. Be careful to NOT think of it as “anchor tonguing” because it’s not rigid. Use models and systematically work through material with a smart routine.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: