• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Problem as getting older

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet1Ohio
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Problem as getting older Reply with quote

I've been playing with a big band and also with a brass group in a church. Unfortunately, we didn't get to play too much for obvious reasons. Now, the bid band is started...very excited.

As the band started rehearsals it was great. For me...not so good. I'm very close to 70. The last few rehearsals were very good, but I wasn't. I was, at first, getting a shaky sound and had to pass some things to another person until I could play well. No solos because I didn't no what to expect.

Question, has anyone had this problem and can give me information to get me back to consistent playing and sound. Also, if delays, I may have to talk to my Doc.

Thanks for listening and any ideas/suggestions

LA Benge 3X+
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread on here a month or so ago asking about physical fitness, and if exercise improved trumpet playing. My contributions to that thread were to say that I absolutely believe that exercise positively affects your playing.

You say that you're knocking on the door of age 70. I'm just over 50 - I turn 51 in less than a month. I can tell you that physically, there is A LOT that I can no longer do that I could do not too many years ago. Age and congenital arthritis, in spite of efforts to remain physically fit, have taken their toll. I work around it as much as I can, but there's no denying what time and age can take away if we aren't staying on top of it, and even if we are trying to stay on top of it, it's a battle we will all slowly lose.

This isn't to say that you can't improve upon some of this - I don't know what your diet and exercise regimen looks like, but you might be able to bring things back around with some alterations toward that end.

For now, just try to get back on the horse - chances are it will come back around on its own given some time and work.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s always hard to advise others what to do but I can tell you that aging doesn’t have to mean a major decline in your playing as long as you realize you may need to warm up longer and more softly and also modify your approach to practicing.

I’m about to turn 80 and after a hip replacement, shoulder surgery and two lumbar fusions I have trouble getting around but I’m playing better than ever in a Dixieland group and a big band.

My success is due in large part to my willingness to put in multiple practice sessions every day. Some are as short as ten minutes and others twenty. I try to get in a total of 90 minutes.

I do a lot of fundamentals - Clarke, Arban, Belck - as well as scales and turnes.

I always quit while fresh and so far it’s working.

I’m no Doc but I still have 13 years to work on it!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Problems as getting older Reply with quote

Okay, this thread has me off to the gym. I'm "only" 62, but I want to be playing in retirement.

Jim, was really looking forward to your concert Saturday, sorry rain cancelled it. Drove down from the far NW 'burbs just in case weather was better in Glen Ellyn.

Mike
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you practicing regularly while the groups were not rehearsing? If so, were you getting that shaky sound during practice as well, or just during the rehearsals?

If you were not practicing regularly, that could be part or all of the problem. As you (sensibly, gradually) get your chops back into shape the problem should go away.

If you are not having the problem while you practice but are during rehearsals, then perhaps there is an anxiety issue at play, which is not too unusual. That would be something to discuss with your doctor, especially if it happens during the entire rehearsal.

If it creeps in later in the rehearsal then it could be fatigue-related. Give some thought to your practice routine: Does it match the demands placed on you during rehearsals and performances? That's something to discuss with a teacher.

If you were practicing regularly, and are now having this problem both during practice and rehearsals, then it might be something to discuss with your doctor. It would also be something to discuss with a teacher, so I would highly recommend lessons if you are not already taking them.

Good luck!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am 85 this month and have been playing since 2016 after a 50+ year hiatus, and all I can say is stick with.

Yeah, I have to work harder at playing these days than I did in the 50's and 60's, and I do have to work at staying in good physical shape, and have to work harder when coming back from an injury or lack of band playing because of Covid.

I don't sound great after a layoff, but it will come back, believe me, if you just stick with it.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: problem is getting older Reply with quote

Thanks to you at 85, sir. I am 71 and I get discouraged, cause it ain't all "ever" gonna come back but it comes back some and it is fun when anything does come back. You encouraged me today!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be lots of things; i.e. having looked forward then getting somewhat nervous...; some medical problems? I don't think this has to do with ageing per se at least not in "normal" ageing.
I've found that I will have to practice a lot more than I had to in younger days, more "cleverly" as well - in order to keep up stable and reliable chops.
A good enough warm up routine, stay aware of lactid acid building up, "institutionalize" a practice scheme with suitable changes. Become aware of the daily variations - never use force.
Physical fitness a major variable. Don't sit under the apple tree - too long...
For me personally the BE method became a game changer when it comes to range, endurance etc etc but everyone has to find his own way.
So - back to the drawing board do some reconsidering regarding possible factors and start all over again. I think it's a good thing to re invent oneself now and then!
ps I'll turn 79 late Dec. and I play front row brass band lead big band(s).
But this does not come cheaply so to speak....
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: problem is getting older Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
Thanks to you at 85, sir. I am 71 and I get discouraged, cause it ain't all "ever" gonna come back but it comes back some and it is fun when anything does come back. You encouraged me today!

I am truly happy to hear that, sir. We all get discouraged at times, but we just have to remember why we are doing this. We love the trumpet. And we love music.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Shaky sound Reply with quote

Does either of your hands shake? This definitely would cause a shaky sound.
There is a neurological condition called "Essential tremor" which I have.
My left hand, which holds the trumpet's weight, has it much more than the right hand.
I have been using the Ergobrass trumpet system for awhile now. It helps a lot.
If this is not what is happening with you, try to find out the physical cause of it.
In this case, could it be dystonia?

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of how well I play on any given day, it’s the joy of being able to start anew each morning, trumpet in hand, Arban on the stand. In fact, the emotional lift I get from my horns is pure medicine.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
Regardless of how well I play on any given day, it’s the joy of being able to start anew each morning, trumpet in hand, Arban on the stand. In fact, the emotional lift I get from my horns is pure medicine.

You bet, Jim. Same here.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: problem as getting older Reply with quote

Quote:

100%
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is an interesting thread! I will be 50 next year so by most of your standards I am fairly young. Nothing goes unpunished, though, and I do have issues with my left hand as far as it’s strength and mechanical function go. So, I have recently been thinking if I should still go for „the one“ horn or if I should just stick with what I have. Seeing some of you still play at 85 makes me think „Gee, say I’ll still play at 85. That’s 4000 euro for a new horn divided by 35 years of playing = 114 euro per year and I’ll have a much better horn to enjoy!” I can definitely live with that Now I’m off to find THE ONE …
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get the shakes early in a session but as it goes along it gets better. I think my issue is that I’m not tolerating caffeine like I used to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: