• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing CD's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Playing CD's Reply with quote

How many people still use CD's? My wife said I was weird. "no one buys CD's anymore".

I just like the idea of buying a CD and reading the liner notes etc.

If not a CD what do you use to listen?
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to them all the time.

A few years ago my wife bought a Honda CRV because it was the only car she could find that still had a CD player.

Hup
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to CDs still. I rip them from my desktop computer since we got a 2019 KIA, to play from my phone to the car, but last week it seems a stupid Google update of Chrome now hides my music where I cannot find it for the moment. Guess I will have to drive my 2004 Ranger or 1994 Bronco to hear my CDs for a while, till I can overcome Bezos's tyranny.

Did I mention how I HATE Google products? Being a Luddite is getting harder and harder!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still buy CDs, but I mostly rip them to play on my iPad and whatnot. I don't have a working CD player rigged up at the moment...

Half Price Books used to have $1 clearance CDs, which was a lark, because I'd buy any weird stuff for a $1. I've bought some kind of odd Armenian pop CD and a random Chinese CD with a bunch of flutes and traditional string instruments. Also, sometimes you find great stuff. I've bought trumpet CDs and given them to students, as well.

Alas, those $1 clearance CDs seem to have gone up to $2 and $3. Still a good deal, but I'm less likely to just randomly buy weird stuff, now.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
McH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate downloads!
Like the original poster, I enjoy reading the liner notes etc. -- I know you can download these as well but, to me, it's just not the same.
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still buy cd's and listen to them all the time, i also still buy lp's and listen to them, recently introducing my two sons to the beauty of the Lp experience, after they watched what i do to clean the Albums they just laughed and jumped on Spotify, i guess you can't teach new dogs old tricks.
I do plan on eventually digitizing all my cds but it will have to wait until i retire, a few thousand rips is a big investment in time that just isn't available at the moment. My most recent puschase are cd's that featured my first trumpet teacher Don Joseph, Three Leaders, One Side Man, the Poetry of Don Joseph which features him in with 3 different groups, the Second Also feature him on trumpet is the Guitarist Chuck Wayne's Cd, String Fever. If you want to hear nice jazz soloing and almost never going outside the staff, listen to Don Joseph, He passed away years ago but i remember his 5 dollar a half hour lessons that lasted all afternoon, he gave me his personal arban book because when i showed up for my first lesson i didn't own one, it was torn and tattered but is my most important trumpet book in my large collection. I bought a new version in college because it was so thread bare, but i just couldn't disgard it. He was a really great guy who played jazz licks with me for almost two years.
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I appreciate the benefits offered by analog LPs, I don't have the room for the necessary equipments and a what would eventually be a fairly large collection of LPs. I already have a substantial investment in classical and jazz CDs which I have collected over the years. My car is a classic Mustang (which I plan to keep) with a CD player and excellent amplifier and speaker system.

There is an interesting "hard disk CD ripper" I've seen advertised, called the Brennan B2. According to the listing on Amazon, it features "Hard Disk CD Ripper & Recorder, Storage and Player with Bluetooth, YouTube, Internet Radio, Stereo Power Amplifier, NAS, Wav, Lossless (FLAC) and MP3." It retails for around $600-700. I don't feel the need for something like that, but maybe others on TH do.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No CD's, no records or hard copy anything. I download the album if i really like it. But mainly I have my Pandora station and Youtube. If I want to read about an artist I Google them.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one cares about high fidelity anymore.
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDs? I'm still listening to the tape deck in my 1994 Toyota Landcruiser. My 15 yr old daughter's friend looked at it with a look that suggested that in her mind I might as well have had a wind up gramophone in the car.
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim19043 wrote:

There is an interesting "hard disk CD ripper" I've seen advertised, called the Brennan B2. According to the listing on Amazon, it features "Hard Disk CD Ripper & Recorder, Storage and Player with Bluetooth, YouTube, Internet Radio, Stereo Power Amplifier, NAS, Wav, Lossless (FLAC) and MP3." It retails for around $600-700. I don't feel the need for something like that, but maybe others on TH do.

I have one of these - its a nice bit of kit, works well for ripping the CDs in a high quality "lossless" format. Easy interface via my phone or tablet. Good for internet radio as well. I'm pleased with mine - and yes I do know that it is based on a Raspberry Pi/ SSD. Doesn't take too long to rip the CD's and the internet databases are pretty good at recognising them and associating track names etc...
JMWTpt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Playing CD's Reply with quote

I purchased a new car last year and was faced with the same dilemma in selecting a car. The only car that I could find with a CD player was a model of VW, and the CD player was virtually hidden. I didn't buy the VW for other reasons. My solution was to resurrect my battery powered 1990's Sony CD Walkman with a wire to the aux input for the radio located in the center console in my car. The Walkman is placed in the open compartment below the radio. It plays one CD at a time, but the sound is very good using the 10 speakers in the car. (Nothing like a little Yanochek at high volume!)
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son (27) is into vinyl in a big way, and has put together a pretty decent system to listen to them with a fairly solid Audio Technica turntable (cheaper clone of the venerable Technics turntable) and a pair of Pioneer bookshelf speakers designed by Andrew Jones.

When people make the claim that records actually sound better, IMO that's true - there's a warmth and depth you get from the record that just doesn't seem to be present in digital music, even though supposedly the human ear can't tell the difference.

Personally, I don't listen to CDs anymore - I have a YouTube subscription and almost everything I listen to anymore is through that, streamed to a Bluetooth speaker or in my car.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my car was new I got to compare MP3, CD, and the now mostly defunct DVD audio. The CD was clearly better than any of the MP3 and other digital formats that I tried. Note that I never got into the much higher bit rates due to concerns about file size.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
S Koons
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
When people make the claim that records actually sound better, IMO that's true - there's a warmth and depth you get from the record that just doesn't seem to be present in digital music, even though supposedly the human ear can't tell the difference.

trickg,
I think most anyone can hear the difference. But some, like you, prefer LPs and some, like me, prefer digital. I think bad early digital sound and excessive digital hype permanently turned turned off some listeners.
SK
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim19043 wrote:

I tried it out earlier this year, and ended up sending it back. The filing system was clunky, and it failed to download the promised CD info.

I do like the idea of having a substantial portion of my CD collection on one device. I now use the dbPoweramp CD ripper software, which rips CDs as mp3s, or as FLACs, which have quality equal to the original CD (lossless), at a fraction of the size. It also imports all the pertinent CD info from the web, including album covers, which are stored as tags in the sound file. I bought an inexpensive CD drive so I don't burn out the one in my desktop. I rip everything to a dedicated external hard drive. I use MusicBee (free software) to manage the library. Lastly, I use Mp3Tag (also free!) in case I want to edit any tags.

All in all, a satisfactory alternative to the Brennan, and for about $100 (software + external CD drive and external hard drive).

PS - for years I have been religiously entering CD info, including musicians, into OrangeCD database, so I have that information easily available. It's nice to find all the albums in my collection on which Freddie Hubbard plays!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S Koons wrote:
trickg wrote:

trickg,
I think most anyone can hear the difference. But some, like you, prefer LPs and some, like me, prefer digital. I think bad early digital sound and excessive digital hype permanently turned turned off some listeners.
SK

I don't prefer LPs at all - I think they are better to listen to if you are really going to listen and are looking for the best musical experience, but their lack of portability makes it hard to do much on the go, and I'm always on the go.

I think that what my son also prefers about vinyl is that the technology is old, and isn't dependent upon software or any kind of digital interface to use. Long after CDs have become obsolete (much like 8 tracks and cassettes have become obsolete) coming up with the technology and capability to play back a vinyl record wouldn't be that hard to duplicate.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: