• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Heavy Metal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Skyfacer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Heavy Metal. Reply with quote

It's been quite a while since I've played Trumpet (48 years) and I've forgotten how heavy they can be. I've initially got myself a HiTech pTrumpet (plastic), and it is remarkably light.
After playing around with the plastic instrument, I then decided to buy myself a Chinese 'stencil' Bb Trumpet. It's branded Steinhoff, it's silver-plated, and plays nicely It cost me $Aus 595 ('free' postage)
What I was not expecting was how heavy it is. It comes in at 988 g. (minus the mouthpiece of course) Are metal Trumpets usually this heavy ?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That comes in between 34 and 35 ounces. That's within a reasonable range of what you can expect a trumpet to weigh. Some might be a little less (maybe 32 ounces or so) and some like my Adams A8 may be a lot heavier (50+ ounces).
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be an option:

https://www.ergobrass.com/trumpet/

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy Metal. Reply with quote

Apollo Skyfacer wrote:
It's been quite a while since I've played Trumpet (48 years) and I've forgotten how heavy they can be. I've initially got myself a HiTech pTrumpet (plastic), and it is remarkably light.
After playing around with the plastic instrument, I then decided to buy myself a Chinese 'stencil' Bb Trumpet. It's branded Steinhoff, it's silver-plated, and plays nicely It cost me $Aus 595 ('free' postage)
What I was not expecting was how heavy it is. It comes in at 988 g. (minus the mouthpiece of course) Are metal Trumpets usually this heavy ?

I'd be warry of buying anything too inexpensive - coming back to the horn after so long you need an instrument that you know is of sufficient quality that you'll be able to know that whatever progress you are or aren't experiencing, that the instrument itself isn't holding you back.

As for the weight, some trumpets are going to be heavier than others, but most of the trumpets you'll likely encounter at this juncture are going to be more or less the same. There are things that can help with that, but my thought is that the best thing you can do is learn to get used to the weight.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth mentioning that the weight you perceive is affected by the length of the horn and how far its center of gravity is from you. You might find that a similar weight cornet feels less heavy. As a plus you can buy a reasonable quality cornet used for relatively little $.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Apollo Skyfacer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trickg. The Chinese 'stencil' Trumpet branded STEINHOFF that I paid $Aus 595 for turned out to be surprisingly well made and it plays nicely. No discernable intonation problems as far as I can tell. And the first and third tuning slides work perfectly.
As I mentioned before, I spent some time on the 'HyTech pTrumpet. I was so successful playing that plastic Trumpet, after 48 years. that I decided to get a real brass one.
I have no intention of dedicating my whole time to Trumpet playing, More like getting familiar with an old friend. I therefore, decided to take the risk and get a cheap one. It turned out that the STEINHOFF is very well made and will be suitable for what I want to use it for.
Apollo Skyfacer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bach-Again. Thanks for the links. It was interesting and just goes to show how much the weight of a brass Trumpet bothers some people.
Even though I mentioned how heavy my new STEINHOFF Trumpet seems to be, the weight doesn't actually bother me. I had spent some time on the HyTech pTrumpet which only weighs in at 562 g.(minus mouthpiece) compared to the 988 g of the STEINHOFF. So, it was quite noticeable the difference in the weights.
I can appreciate the pTrumpet and the HyTech pTrumpet being promoted as suitable learning instruments for very young children.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: