• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shout out to Band Teacher El Revelli

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimwjensen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Shout out to Band Teacher El Revelli Reply with quote

I just want to post a shout-out to El Revelli, our band teacher from Aragon High School way back in the 1960s. Not only was he an excellent teacher and musician, but he also was a major role model in my life. El passed away in 2017 and I still think of him often.

Here's to you, Mr. Revelli!
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Band Teacher El Revelli Reply with quote

jimwjensen wrote:
I just want to post a shout-out to El Revelli, our band teacher from Aragon High School way back in the 1960s. Not only was he an excellent teacher and musician, but he also was a major role model in my life. El passed away in 2017 and I still think of him often.

Here's to you, Mr. Revelli!

I had two. Firstly, my ninth grade band director Bill Broderick. Great sax player and arranger. We had the only junior high stage band in the county. He was a working musician and he not only introduced me to playing jazz, he also turned me on to listening to jazz. It was in his bandroom that I heard my first Maynard record (MF HORN II had just been released) and it was he who recommended that I check out a local concert by this guy named Stan Kenton. MINDBLOW!!
The second was my 10th grade band director, John Lamb, who, among other stellar credits, played bass with Duke Ellington for six years. John also taught me a lot about jazz and being a real working musician. I didn't get a lot of it at the time, but I remembered a lot of things later and realized he had given me some real pearls.

keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: