• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Model 48 Deceptions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Model 48 Deceptions Reply with quote

The Holton Revelation Model 48 name has come to have something of a following, probably owing more to the remarkable late 1950s renaming of the Model 48 Deluxe than to the actual reversed, unbraced, traditional Revelations that preceded it which were also fine horns within the sound concepts of their era.

EBay is filled with horns that are not Model 48s being listed as Model 48s. Even Josh Landress is falsely listing a 1927 Revelation as a Model 48 and quoting the 1950s catalog description of what is a completely different design from the horn for sale.

For this, I blame the mis-information regarding the Model 48 name at the Holton Loyalist site - a site where the proprietor won't disclose his or her name, and refuses contact.

This has become an epidemic, and I have reached the limits of my tolerance for frustration with mis-information, so here is the history surrounding the Model 48 name, offered in hopes of reducing the number of people scammed, and the number of emails I get from those buyers who discover it too late.

Holton did not have model numbers until they were first instituted in 1931 by Tony Getzen (later founder of the family firm), who became plant superintendent at Holton in 1929. The Revelation name on the other hand had been used on trumpets since late 1919 - specifically trumpets with an innovative minimally braced, more open, and after 1921 reversed construction, design, that we often associate with classic Schilke design today.

The first Holton trumpets with model numbers were released in 1932 and consisted of the Model 30 (ML bore mainstay, built 1932-37), the Model 50 Symphony(.473 bore, built 1932-35/6), the Model 46 (.442 bore, built 1932-35/6), Model 42 (.423 bore, built 1932-33/4) and the Model 32 Streamline (.453 bore, built 1932-37/8, used a bottom-sprung Ideal valve block). These were the "Holton Revelation New Professional" line. All of these were the same minimally braced, reversed construction, smaller bell Revelation design, with the Streamline being elongated as a Peashooter.

In 1937/8 these were all replaced by the Model 34 and Model 34M Holton Resotone trumpet in .459 and .461 bore, which featured a bell garland and was otherwise similar to the Model 30.

A competing design was developed at that time by Holton's play tester Arvid Walters which consisted of two leadpipe-bell combinations, each then built as both a Revelation style trumpet and as a traditional Besson/Bach style trumpet with standard construction and normal bracing. In 1938/9 Holton management opted to switch to this design scheme and released these as the Model 45 and Model 48 in both Revelation and Deluxe models. The 48s, both Revelation and Deluxe, of this time were the first Model 48s. All 4 horns included single radius tuning slides, and the 48s featured the first true multi-inflexion leadpipes.

Tony Getzen left Holton in 1939 and Arvid Walters was appointed Chief Design Engineer in 1940, a position he would hold until replaced by his apprentice Larry Ramirez upon his retirement in 1981 (though Ramirez was already designing horns like the Maynard models and the Farkas French horn in the 1970s while technically apprenticing).

After WWII, Walters refreshed the 45 and 48 designs, switching to squared tuning slides on the Deluxe models. He also designed the 47 Symphony, 49 Stratodyne (a 48 Deluxe with a lightweight bell - rose brass bell after 1950), and the LB51 to round out the set.

In 1958, the Deluxe models were rebranded the Holton Revelation Model 45 and 48, which caused some confusion as traditional Revelation form also remained in production for a while. The 45 had also been switched to using Courtois valves. These remained in production until Leblanc replaced the entire trumpet line-up in 1965.

There is also the myth of the Model 48 Llewellyn, which has been around, reinforced by the falsehoods at the Loyalist site, for a long time. The Llewellyn model was launched in 1927, and retired with the second generation designs it belonged to after 1931. Llewellyn had been dead for almost a decade the time the Model 48 launched, and Holton never used his name again after his death.

Any reference to a Model 48 with regard to an instrument produced outside of the 1938-1965 window is simply false. And within that window, there are several different design variations, all by Arvid Walters, but not including any dubbed Llewellyn.

Its time people stop falling for the Model 48 mystique (and associated high prices) when sellers use the name to misrepresent instruments as something other than they are. I am particularly frustrated to see JLandressBrass doing it. I contacted them, but the issue persists. . .

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20

Last edited by OldSchoolEuph on Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had composed a very sarcastic reply to the post above, partly regarding the idea that this whole "bogus 48s on ebay and the internet" thing has become a widespread problem. This is partly because I regard vintage trumpets much like I regard the IPA form of beer - overrated, overpriced, not nearly as good as people seem to be fooled into thinking they are, and generally not worth my time or money. It also only effects a very small segment of the population - trumpet players seeking out vintage instruments.

However, I have to admit that you've done a heck of a job of researching and documenting this subject, and you clarify just what is what for anyone who wants to know. Whether or not the people who are trying to obtain one of these elusive treasures will find your post here and prevent them from heartache if they inadvertently purchase the wrong thing is anyone's guess, but at least the information has been published somewhere, and should be able to be found with a bit of skilled Google-fu.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP

Last edited by trickg on Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Ron, thanks for your research. It's really difficult to find information about brass instrument manufacturers.
-LIonel
https://yourbrass.com/
interfx
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ron for the additional history of model 48, helpful for various Holton collectors like myself.

I am not sure what your many references to the loyalist site are about? The references on the loyalist site, come from Holton advertisements from various time frames. Also, the Holton Loyalist FB page has vintage advertisements including the Revelation model, but that's about it. Not sure what 'in-depth' inaccuracies exist? In fact, the loyalist site does NOT go into depth on any model, at all. (I made a quick edit of the model 48 section, but not sure if that was your point...)

https://www.holtonloyalist.com/trumpets/

Lastly, I'm NOT 100% sure of your comment of 'refuses contact'?

1. SEARCH here on TH
- You have replied to threads about Holton instruments (latest in 2020), where I have shared information on HoltonLoyalist.com about adding new vintage ads, including the Holton Revelation trumpet. You replied to the same thread, after me! You have NEVER contacted me about Holton Loyalist here on TH (at least to going back to 2006).

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145924&highlight=holtonloyalist

2. CONTACT US
- If you clicked on Contact Us on the website, you would get directed to FB page to leave a message. NO message has been ever been received, but welcomed.

Would very much appreciate it, if you do NOT make false accusations ('refuses contact').

Finally, if you have a 'specific' suggestion or 'needed correction', please send me a 'direct message', if you have any suggestions to include on HoltonLoyalist.com, I would be more than welcome to make them, as with other updates I make.

FINALLY, I volunteer my time as you do and I do not claim to 100% accurate, but am always open to learning, correcting, etc. information to be as accurate as possible, as none of us were around when some of these materials & instruments were produced. I'm sure you take a similar approach when you find new information to update your files.

Best regards -
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interfx:

This is the first I have been aware of an identity behind the Loyalist.

Over the span of 2010-2016 I must have sent half a dozen emails to the address posted at the Loyalist site (I see that is no longer there in the new version - but you realize that Facebook does not allow communications from anyone not willing to join their cult, right?) None of those emails were responded to.

The inaccuracies being cited over and over by EBay sellers include:

"Model 48 Llewellyn" as a section heading - then showing a picture of a ca. 1928 Holton Lewellyn - a decade prior to the first Model 48. I get sent screen shots of this page and waste a lot of time helping buyers understand what they have.

The association of the 1953 catalog description of a Model 48 with 1920s Holton Revelations. I have not seen it myself (and the site appears down right now), but I have been told of it several times and even Josh Landress is copying it right now (which results in a misrepresented horn at his site).

There have been others over the years - which I tried to email you regarding - I would build a bigger list, but every page right now, in both IE and Chrome, is giving me this:
Composer detected issues in your platform: Your Composer dependencies require a PHP version ">= 7.2.5".There has been a critical error on this website.

If you would like to use any content from trumpet-history.com including pictures of my Holton horns (100+) or the model guide Kenton Scott also hosts at horn-u-copia, you are most welcome. (A nod to the source is requested, but can be a tiny footnote if you wish)

I apologize for venting my frustration in your direction - it has just been building for a long time and a recent barrage of EBay activity pushed me over the edge. All efforts to save the history of Holton are deeply appreciated.

If there is a non-Facebook contact, I will certainly make use of it, but I'm not on Facebook.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
interfx
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ron for the note back.

I honestly don't remember the emails back from 6 years ago, but around that time I had to update the site (2016), because hackers were doing DNS attacks, and overwhelming my server & email account with 100,000's emails monthly... Perhaps your emails at that time were in there. Who knows, 6 years later.

I'll send you my personal email here on TH through Messages, so we can connect offline. (Understand completely about FB.)

Thanks for the offer of referencing your site, will take you up on that when I have time to update the site. Also, since are not on FB, I uploaded last year a whole series of Holton ads that you could benefit your research and materials. I will send them to you, once we connect via TH messages.

Thanks -
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked up a 1947 Holton 48 with a reverse lead pipe and .450 bore (I measured it). The Holton is the top horn in the photo. The valves are on the left.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Benge_%26_Holton_Trumpets.jpg
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
SilverSpunk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I've seen the name "Holton 48" used with the older Revelation trumpets.

I've always considered the 20s 30s Revelations similar horns to the 1940s Holton model 48 but not the exact same, I've even seen people tag these horns with the name "POOR MAN'S COMMITTEE" which I find humorous.

However I'm sure many in the trumpet community have seen countless examples of both floating around on auction sites over the years and should already know the difference between the older revelations and 1940s model 48.

Older Revelations have a different bell engraving, slightly tighter bell profile, are usually silver plated or gold plated (you will rarely see one in brass or lacquer) and these horns have the old school thick squarish top valve caps.

The 1940s model 48 are usually in lacquer finish or silver plate and have a different styling with the receiver, braces and valve block.

I've even seen a transitional example years ago that had features of both horns.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were many "Model 48" horns - all of them designed by Arvid Walters. They include:
Model 48 Revelation (Late 1938-12/1941) - Bore .458", reversed, single radius
Model 48 Deluxe (Late 1938 - WWII) - Bore .458", standard, single radius
Model 48 Revelation (Late 1945- 1958) - Bore .458", reversed, single radius
Model 48 Deluxe (Late 1945 - 1958) - Bore .458", standard, D-radius
Model 48 Stratodyne (1947/ - Bore .459", standard, D-radius
Revelation Model 48 (1958-1964) - Bore .459", standard, D-radius

The closest Holton ever built to a .450" bore would be .453". There is no record of any Model 48 being offered in multiple bore sizes, however, Holton did custom build for artists (Heim for instance insisted on evaluating horns as .453" bore even if that was not a planned option). In the photo noted above, the pistons have been rebuilt without blocking the ports. Any measurement there would be reduced. It should also be noted that Holton bore sizes tended to be a bit +/-, and they offered more bores than they did piston port bores.....

However, there were no Model 48 Llewellyns, as Arvid Walters was responsible for the Model 48 design, and did not assume the role until the end of the 1930s. Edward Llewellyn died 5+ years earlier. Additionally, Tony Getzen did away with the artist linked models in 1932 when rolling out the first model numbers (there had not been any during the time that Llewellyn models were made)

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(The closest Holton ever built to a .450" bore would be .453".)

I am handy with measuring tools. (Engineering and Science background). I was surprised at the bore measurement, so I measured it with a manual caliper in addition to a digital caliper. The horn tech that worked on the brace didn't think anything had been done to the valves or the valve casings. They just didn't have much wear. The slides were in the same condition. I used a different tech to work on my Chicago Benge. The next time I see him I'll show him the Holton and see what he thinks.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHirakawa wrote:

I am handy with measuring tools. (Engineering and Science background). I was surprised at the bore measurement, so I measured it with a manual caliper in addition to a digital caliper. The horn tech that worked on the brace didn't think anything had been done to the valves or the valve casings. They just didn't have much wear. The slides were in the same condition. I used a different tech to work on my Chicago Benge. The next time I see him I'll show him the Holton and see what he thinks.

The give-away on 99% of vintage valves is the spring box. That is raw brass as manufactured. These have been covered in nickel during the rebuild. Unblocked ports is common, but spotting them can be tricky because what the port looks like in original condition varies widely. In this case, whoever did the clean-up after plating was in a hurry on the top port of second valve, giving away the unblocked rebuild (edges attract extra - don't ask me why...).

I have found Holton horns where the catalog claimed .461" and the actual bore was barely .459", so some variation from expected is not surprising, but for a 48 to have been built as a .453" bore is (Heim was long dead by then), ratrher remarkable. Just to be sure, I went and pulled a bunch of period 48s and 45s, and they all measure .458".

You may have a horn with the bore closed in, or you may have something very special...

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
JHirakawa wrote:

The give-away on 99% of vintage valves is the spring box. That is raw brass as manufactured. These have been covered in nickel during the rebuild. Unblocked ports is common, but spotting them can be tricky because what the port looks like in original condition varies widely. In this case, whoever did the clean-up after plating was in a hurry on the top port of second valve, giving away the unblocked rebuild (edges attract extra - don't ask me why...).

I have found Holton horns where the catalog claimed .461" and the actual bore was barely .459", so some variation from expected is not surprising, but for a 48 to have been built as a .453" bore is (Heim was long dead by then), ratrher remarkable. Just to be sure, I went and pulled a bunch of period 48s and 45s, and they all measure .458".

You may have a horn with the bore closed in, or you may have something very special...

Thanks for the info. Interesting observation. But I don't understand how replating the valves would affect the inside diameter of the 2nd valve slide. I remeasured and the 1st and 3rd valve slides also measure .450 ID. Take a look at the valves of the 1948 Chicago Benge that is in the same photo as the Holton. Those valves look very similar to the 1947 Holton valves. The spring boxes are nickel plated on it too. I'll ask the tech that worked on the Benge if he thinks the valves were replated. He's pretty sharp. Has clients that play for the Chicago Symphony orchestra.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This turned out to be a very interesting thread for me. I just picked up a 1947 Model 48 Holton and the info on the internet is very sparse with it comes to vintage Holtons. In comparison, when I managed to snag a Chicago Benge earlier this year, everything I would ever want to know about a Benge was out there. At least I thought so. Then Joe Lill sent me a photo from his Senior prom. He was sitting at a table with my brother.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
JHirakawa wrote:

My 1948 Chicago Benge has a .447 bore. Joe Lill says it's a very rare horn too. Just my luck. Must have a natural attraction to small bore horns.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
There were many "Model 48" horns - all of them designed by Arvid Walters. They include:

The closest Holton ever built to a .450" bore would be .453". There is no record of any Model 48 being offered in multiple bore sizes, however, Holton did custom build for artists (Heim for instance insisted on evaluating horns as .453" bore even if that was not a planned option). In the photo noted above, the pistons have been rebuilt without blocking the ports. Any measurement there would be reduced. It should also be noted that Holton bore sizes tended to be a bit +/-, and they offered more bores than they did piston port bores.....

However, there were no Model 48 Llewellyns, as Arvid Walters was responsible for the Model 48 design, and did not assume the role until the end of the 1930s. Edward Llewellyn died 5+ years earlier. Additionally, Tony Getzen did away with the artist linked models in 1932 when rolling out the first model numbers (there had not been any during the time that Llewellyn models were made)

I thought my 51 Stratodyne was a model 49? It’s mint with a valve dr valve job and it’s a good big band horn. Was I wrong?
Rod
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

I thought my 51 Stratodyne was a model 49? It’s mint with a valve dr valve job and it’s a good big band horn. Was I wrong?
Rod

The original Stratodyne was a bell option on a 48 Deluxe. This did not last long and soon became the Model 49. Around the time yours was made, they also switched from a yellow brass lightweight bell to a red brass lightweight bell.

I used a 54 Stratodyne as my main horn these last few months

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Holton 48 from a Goodwill Auction. I usually don't bid on that site because it's such a crap shoot. I look at the site once in a while when I have idle time at the coffee shop. What perked my interest in that horn (besides being a 1947 Model 4 was the 3rd valve slide stop assembly. It had all the parts, and they looked original. Even had o-rings next to the nuts. That told me the previous owner cared, so I put in a modest bid. The lacquer looked bad, but I took that as a plus. Bad lacquer could scare away other bidders. Sure enough, the horn was in exceptionally nice condition for a Goodwill buy. I got lucky when I got the Benge too and it had all the 3rd slide stop parts. Once again thanks for providing the information on Holton horns.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again - a thank you to our ophicleide friends who use the wrong mouthpiece

https://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/id/592

See page 6 for a description of the Model 48. News to me that it had a bell "choke".
( No listing of the model 48 in the 1937 catalog or any before - the 1938 catalog is not available at this site.)

If you have the time, you can view catalogs for about 60 years and find pictures, model names and numbers, and specifications for Holton trumpets and cornets.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
See page 6 for a description of the Model 48. News to me that it had a bell "choke".

More research is needed on that at some point. Today, we think of a "bell choke" as a narrowing of the bore in the bell tail to a diameter less than that of the valve block within the area of the bell tail that laminar flow starts to re-establish. This effectively gives the bell greater and more drawn out conicity, which will richen the tone.

However, at the time this was written, the company had a lot of trouble with terminology. For instance, indicating a larger lead-in pipe. What it has is a faster taper leadpipe. Similarly, choke in this instance may refer to the bell throat or flare transition where a Bach 72 is faster to increase taper than a Bach 43 is, and thus has greater volume within the bell favoring lower frequencies. I suspect this is what they are really talking about, but I have not had the time to undertake the measurement safari necessary to validate that assumption.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(The closest Holton ever built to a .450" bore would be .453". There is no record of any Model 48 being offered in multiple bore sizes, however, Holton did custom build for artists (Heim for instance insisted on evaluating horns as .453" bore even if that was not a planned option). In the photo noted above, the pistons have been rebuilt without blocking the ports. Any measurement there would be reduced. It should also be noted that Holton bore sizes tended to be a bit +/-, and they offered more bores than they did piston port bores.....)

I remeasured my 1947 Holton Model 48 again, several times. The bore does measure closer to .453". Tks for the information.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: