• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Virtual playing opportunities for students

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Virtual playing opportunities for students Reply with quote

One of my virtual lesson students is, according to his mom, “getting tired of playing all by himself.” This particular student’s mother has home schooled him last year, and will be doing the same this school year, by her own admission, out of fear of covid. (I have strong opinions about that, but let’s avoid that discussion here if we can).

So, I’m looking for some type of “virtual ensemble” for him to participate in. He’s going into 8th grade (or at least would / should be), his level of playing is about average for a second year player.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Brad
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have periodic recitals or trumpet ensembles with your students? If not it would be a good idea to do. You could find some trumpet ensemble music, or duets, for students to play and it could be done outdoors with bell covers and ample distancing. Parents love it, it gives the students something to work towards. This is assuming you are in the same area as your virtual lesson students.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea about a recital, but it turns out that during the coming school year, where I teach is back to in person in school, and no option for parents to have their kids attend school “virtually” (which IMO is the right decision; kids I taught last year who we’re doing virtual school were in general way behind where they should be).
So most of my problem is solved, with the exception of one student whose parents are opting for home schooling.

Brad
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a “play on my own” type, and I enjoy using play along series like “music minus one”.....also recently bought play alongs for the Canadian Brass and Concert Band at Home.....so many good options.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, if your student is old enough and proficient enough, how about haing him/her join a community band once they start up again. Also, what about you starting an ensemble for your students to perform in. some time ago I thought about starting an ensemble for home schoolers, but somebody beat me to it.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Patrick Hasselbank

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual playing opportunities for students Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
One of my virtual lesson students is, according to his mom, “getting tired of playing all by himself.” This particular student’s mother has home schooled him last year, and will be doing the same this school year, by her own admission, out of fear of covid. (I have strong opinions about that, but let’s avoid that discussion here if we can).

So, I’m looking for some type of “virtual ensemble” for him to participate in. He’s going into 8th grade (or at least would / should be), his level of playing is about average for a second year player.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Brad

Tell him use the musescore for practicing. It is a good toll for beginners and professionals. Especially I love the tutorial function- https://musescore.com/user/4607586/scores/2357801/piano-tutorial
popTbop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by popTbop on Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popTbop wrote:
Open jazz sessions.

Bring horn. Sit in. Play. Start with private sessions with just other musicians. Work towards playing public venues with live audiences. No rehearsals, no hassles. Just show up and ask to sit in and play.

Call something simple, like C Jam Blues -- something you can woodshed ahead of time. Have fun with it.

In public clubs and venues, audiences love to see youngsters give it a go, no matter what level they're at. Everyone's super supportive. And talk about learning a lot real fast!

I used to do this when my boy was a wee lad, and he was playing professionally in the teens (bass, that is), and still is to this day. But same principal. In fact, if you can find a jazz player in town, maybe he'd be willing to mentor the lad and take him to some sessions that he might be going to himself to listen and sit in, when he's ready.

I posted this seven months ago, when we were being more restricted by covid, but I just had to address this.

Regarding him participating in an “open jazz session” this is a seventh grader, as in just above beginner status. A “jazz session” of any sort would be completely over his head…..as it would be for most kids in their second year of playing.

Brad
popTbop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by popTbop on Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that there's a difficulty in coordinating the voices. That is, playing without a time-delay between musicians. There is software to do it, but it takes savvy and time. I'm not sure you want to make that kind of investment for one person.

There are, however, a lot of play along books. You can research it. Don't just look for trumpet-specific books, but vocal song books, too. I don't know the patience or intellectual level of your student; the vocal music will call for a simple transposition. Could be fun and a challenge, depending on the student and how this is presented by the teacher.

My point is also that there are play-alongs available for low-proficiency players, not just the more challenging adult-oriented ones. That seems to me the closest to what you're looking for without a substantial time ramping up a solution to virtual playing.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
My understanding is that there's a difficulty in coordinating the voices. That is, playing without a time-delay between musicians. There is software to do it, but it takes savvy and time. I'm not sure you want to make that kind of investment for one person.
…..

The specific situation I posted about resolved itself, and not in a good way, the kid is no longer taking lessons.

But you’re correct, I found it impossible to play along with students last year when I was teaching virtually. The slight time sync problem, plus it’s very difficult to hear the kid when I played with him.
I know virtual lessons have been done via Skype for years, maybe I should have tried using that. At any rate, all lessons are back to in person now, thankfully. And I believe society REALLY did a number on kids in general with the overblown covid restrictions.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: