• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Learning jazz

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Hasselbank

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine is also uses scores for learning and teaching from here: https://musescore.com/hub/trumpet?text=beginners. Maybe not so effective, but as an additional tool it can be great!
Patrick Hasselbank

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Learning jazz Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
Just want to get opinions

I’m an average adult student learning jazz for the first time. I’m just curious how long it might take to become a solid jazz player. I know I’ll never be a pro (just not a lot of time left) I’m 56. Anyway what do you think I could expect it to take to learn the language and not be embarrassed to do any kind of performing. I also understand there are many variables just want your opinions. Thanks.

My opinion is this- it always better to start playing by using scores. You grow up not just like musician but you level up you music theory. I can offer you those two sites for using- https://musescore.com/sheetmusic?text=jazz%20beginners and https://www.musicnotes.com/search/go?w=jazz+beginners&from=header

Good luck!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Learning jazz Reply with quote

Patrick Hasselbank wrote:
Trumpetstud wrote:
Just want to get opinions

I’m an average adult student learning jazz for the first time. I’m just curious how long it might take to become a solid jazz player. I know I’ll never be a pro (just not a lot of time left) I’m 56. Anyway what do you think I could expect it to take to learn the language and not be embarrassed to do any kind of performing. I also understand there are many variables just want your opinions. Thanks.

My opinion is this- it always better to start playing by using scores. You grow up not just like musician but you level up you music theory. I can offer you those two sites for using- https://musescore.com/sheetmusic?text=jazz%20beginners and https://www.musicnotes.com/search/go?w=jazz+beginners&from=header

Good luck!

Using sheet music will delay your development. The whole idea of jazz improvisation is to get away from sheet music and play by ear. You don't need to know anything about music theory to be proficient at jazz improvisation.
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: smooth jazz Reply with quote

I know guys like Chris Botti went to Indiana and studied jazz and Rick Braun went to Eastman. I'm sure in jazz studies they learned to improvise, but do you think they do that in smooth jazz? My teacher said they don't (maybe not in a traditional way) Thoughts?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improvise? Of course they do. Just in their style and not bebop and other styles closer to that.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mograph

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use the model of "engine and rudder" pretty often. In this case, most of the advice you'll get comes under "rudder," to my mind. It gives you direction, gives you a vocabulary, helps you respond to tunes, and helps you sound good.

But equally important, is the engine: the desire to mess around.

You need something inside you that makes you want to make stuff up on the fly, and gives you the permission to screw up.

The last bit is key: I knew a professional cellist who just couldn't improvise, because she was so reluctant to play a wrong note. Eventually, her husband (jazz guy) brought her into the fold, but it took a while. Sorry, I don't know how he did it.

I find that the desire to mess around is encouraged by singing my own improvised lines along with jazz recordings, either over a sparse background, or call-and-answering the soloist. I'd never want anyone to hear me do that, but it keeps my engine running.

I think that both the engine and rudder need to be exercised in parallel. Keep messing around, but let the studies refine the messing, making it slightly better and easier over time.

Hope that helps.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: