• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Letters preceding serial number in a Getzen serial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
riker35601

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Letters preceding serial number in a Getzen serial Reply with quote

Getzen serial numbers start with letters. Does anyone know the reason for the different lettering?

Mine is an "SK" series. I see there are many different lettering series when I look up the serial on Hornucopia.com. Serial number follows lettering. I would love to know the reason for the different lettering that precedes the serial number. I cannot find any info on this on the Getzen website.

Thanks.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally, the "SK" stood for "Severinsen" (for Doc) and "Knowlton" (for Harold Knowlton, owner of the company at the time). After Doc left, it changed to "K". Over the years the letters were changed from time to time as a way of freeing up more numbers. I can't remember the reasoning behind it, but they didn't want to utilize all 5 numerical digits. There were P's, R's, maybe a few others. I don't think there was any real rhyme or reason behind it. At least not that I can remember.

In 2001 when Doc returned and we launched the 3001 and 3001LE trumpets we went to a "G" for Getzen and it has stayed that way ever since.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
riker35601

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Thanks a million! Reply with quote

Absolutely awesome of you! Thank you so much for the informative reply!!!

Thanks!!
BachintheSwing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: getzen value Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying my brother-in-law's mid-60's Getzen, serial SK2625. It needs a lot of work. What do you think a fair value would be to offer him? I would take it to Charlie Melk and have him re-plate it.
Quote:
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen Eterna flugels were designated KH for 4 valve and KN for 3 valve. It was designed for Knud Holvadlt back in the 1960s. I believe this explains those designations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: