• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The greatest of them all!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crouch was an overblown moron who rode to fame on Wynton's coattails by embracing the early 80s 'back to the tradition' sham that Wynton and Columbia records (and Crouch) were largely responsible for.
Crouch was a hypocrite, a failed avante garde drummer who was never hesitant to lambast any music or musician who tried to push the music past 1945.
How he ended up as a 'social critic' (or whatever he was) for the Village Voice is a total mystery to me. There's nothing good to say about him as far as I'm concerned.....as my grandad used to say "if he was on fire, I wouldn't pee on him to put him out....."

keith
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the people who are bagging on Miles's technical ability. He was the top of the top. He was admitted to Julliard. The story is that he his rhythm was so good he leave the room and come back and still be on beat. He re-invented himself multiple times (I've been listening to his remake of Cindy Lauper's Time after Time, which is pretty awesome). I'm reading the Gavin "Life in a Dream" biography of Chet Baker and he talks about how indebted Chet was to Miles early on and how often recordings had to re-spliced to make them playable. Miles was just *good*. People he played with said he could make their bad chords good (see the story here: https://excellentjourney.net/2018/04/08/miles-davis-so-what-and-being-in-accord-no-matter-the-chord/. Listen a little more before you talk down Miles.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better not get upset by nonsense posts. Those posts speak for themselves. All the people here, even with only basic knowledge of trumpet playing, know, no need to make things clear to anybody.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not the greatest "trumpet player" whatever that means to anyone. But by far the most influential jazz artist on any instrument in the entire history of the music. Maybe Armstrong and Charlie Parker come close...and possibly Ellington, but Armstrong and Bird pretty much did one thing and played in a singlular style (admittedly brilliantly) throughout their careers. Miles was the most influential artist in at least 5 different style genres of jazz...most of them invented by him and his bands. His peers in this are Stravinsky and Picasso, not mere trumpet manipulators.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's in his autobiography, but there doesn't seem to be much written, or said about his audition to Juilliard. What, exactly he might have played for them(?) whether it was jazz or legit.. is anyone's guess, but he certainly did not have classical motivations to enter the school. What he really wanted more than anything else was to reside in NY in order to meet Charlie Parker, which took him a little while, but was achieved.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been raised on a steady diet of Doc, Maynard, and Chase, I admit I didn't reallly comprehend Miles in my youth. Now that I'm old(er) I'm starting to understand and it will take me the rest of my life to digest all of his work. I have at least one book of transcribed Miles Davis solos and in some ways they are harder to play authentically than transcriptions of Clifford Brown (and I've just about given up on ever pulling off a Clark Terry solo). Technically, they're more playable but I'll never come close to nailing the musicality, and I've been playing for over fifty years. Miles was a genius and what be did can't be duplicated.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Better not get upset by nonsense posts. Those posts speak for themselves. All the people here, even with only basic knowledge of trumpet playing, know, no need to make things clear to anybody.

I don't see even one "nonsense" post in this thread.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the recording of "Ko-Ko":

"Rumors persist to this day about precisely who played trumpet and piano on this piece; some claim it's young Miles Davis who plays trumpet and Gillespie comping at piano, on both takes; most claim Gillespie plays trumpet and, or instead of, piano; some claim Hakim is the pianist on all or part of one or both of the takes. However, Miles Davis confirms in his autobiography that he did not play trumpet on "Ko Ko":

"I remember Bird wanting me to play "Ko-Ko," a tune that was based on the changes of "Cherokee." Now Bird knew I was having trouble playing "Cherokee" back then. So when he said that that was the tune he wanted me to play, I just said no, I wasn't going to do it. That's why Dizzy's playing trumpet on "Ko-Ko," "Warmin' up a Riff," and "Meandering" on Charlie Parker’s Reboppers, because I wasn't going to get out there and embarrass myself. I didn't really think I was ready to play tunes at the tempo of "Cherokee" and I didn't make no bones about it."

Miles was an excellent player but (in his own words) not equal to the technical ability of Dizzy. Of course there was also Clifford who, in my view, surpassed Dizzy.

Miles was the greatest in terms of reinventing himself and in terms of his persona. There is no cult in jazz like the cult surrounding Miles.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could almost compare him to the biblical Gabriel.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
Having been raised on a steady diet of Doc, Maynard, and Chase, I admit I didn't reallly comprehend Miles in my youth. Now that I'm old(er) I'm starting to understand and it will take me the rest of my life to digest all of his work. I have at least one book of transcribed Miles Davis solos and in some ways they are harder to play authentically than transcriptions of Clifford Brown (and I've just about given up on ever pulling off a Clark Terry solo). Technically, they're more playable but I'll never come close to nailing the musicality, and I've been playing for over fifty years. Miles was a genius and what be did can't be duplicated.

If you manage to make it through the Clark Terry, then try one of the Diz solos!!!!

keith
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post your favorite Miles video. Thanks.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
Maybe it's in his autobiography, but there doesn't seem to be much written, or said about his audition to Juilliard. What, exactly he might have played for them(?) whether it was jazz or legit.. is anyone's guess, but he certainly did not have classical motivations to enter the school....

I read a biography, but it's from the library so I can't remember, but his mother was a music teacher with a classical bent. Julliard only began offering jazz performance in 2001. I can't imagine they were accepting jazz trumpet performance as a field circa 1944. Wikipedia says he criticized its classical-only focus, but clearly he was good enough to be admitted and he had a decent chunk of a classical curriculum.
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:

How he ended up as a 'social critic' (or whatever he was) for the Village Voice is a total mystery to me. There's nothing good to say about him as far as I'm concerned.....as my grandad used to say "if he was on fire, I wouldn't pee on him to put him out....."

I think you're missing out by not wading into at least a handful of articles, which were at times both provocative and brilliant. Others wouldn't necessarily agree with everything he wrote, but I guarantee you would find him compelling if given 1/2 the chance. Dismissing him lock, stock and barrel for not embracing every avant garde player...keep in mind, since the bebop era, a ton of players got it into their heads that they couldn't play something familiar or relax, but had to come up with a whole new approach to music, to validate themselves. Isn't it partly true to an extent with Miles, if you look at how he chose to title the nonette recordings, "Birth of..." The idea firmly in his head, that any new release of his, would be > revolutionary and ground breaking, NOT warmed over turkey.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/16/913619163/stanley-crouch-towering-jazz-critic-dead-at-74
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Can you imagine Miles on studio call, or in a theatre pit, or with a symphony. All the greats I recognize could pull all this off and sound good even playing Miles tunes. Maybe a great musical talent but a great trumpet player, no.
Rod

I think I get where you're coming from. As a player, I've always striven to be able to play whatever needed playing though admittedly I've neglected improvisation. One of my proudest moments was when I sightread 2nd trumpet for West Side Story.

It's honestly been harder for me to appreciate players that are not great technicians though I've come around somewhat. And there is no shortage of players I love that that I don't suspect would do justice to a studio call, pit or symphony. And at the same time, I seriously doubt many of the players I love would do justice to all that Miles did.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ChriZZ83

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: I'm not very much into Miles. Most recordings I can barely listen to the end.

But!

In my opinion Miles isn't a trumpeter in the first place. He was an artist. For example: There are many, many excellent painters and illustrators out there who can draw photorealistic portraits with only a simple pen. But mostly they have nothing to say. On the other hand there is a painter who draws three thick, uneven and asymetric, black lines on a gigantic canvas and to many people this means the world. They see or at least interprete what the artis felt during the process of creation.
This is what I think about miles. There are uncountable trumpeters out there whose technical abilities are just way, way above Miles', but they have nothing to say. Or at least the tell a different story.

Personally I hope once the world of Miles and Jazz overall will open to me. It hasn't yet. I still listen to Bitches Brew and think: If I you take a group of musicians, shut their eyes and ears and tell them to just play what comes into their minds you'll receive something like bitches brew. ... Plz don't hang me for that

Greetings
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
rothman wrote:
Maybe it's in his autobiography, but there doesn't seem to be much written, or said about his audition to Juilliard. What, exactly he might have played for them(?) whether it was jazz or legit.. is anyone's guess, but he certainly did not have classical motivations to enter the school....

I read a biography, but it's from the library so I can't remember, but his mother was a music teacher with a classical bent. Julliard only began offering jazz performance in 2001. I can't imagine they were accepting jazz trumpet performance as a field circa 1944. Wikipedia says he criticized its classical-only focus, but clearly he was good enough to be admitted and he had a decent chunk of a classical curriculum.

Miles was probably well exposed to classical music as his primary teacher in St Louis was Gustat ?sp who was one of the greats of his era with the city symphony, I own a pristine 8B Gustat model Conn so he was a heavyweight. If miles was indeed admitted to Juilliard I’m sure that recommendation would count. I am sure that the exposure to theory could have helped his career but I can’t ever see him in classical music. As has been lauded miles was a force in music who took style to different unexplored places but was not a stand out trumpeter.

I’m not or ever intended to take away from his music but was responding to the topic heading of ‘Greatest of all time’. Some will opine he was the greatest composer, visionary, ad finitum, but who will say he’s the greatest trumpet player of all time?

Rod
StevenE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When one says, "the greatest," it is helpful to ask him to define his terms more specifically.
Without realizing it, when many people say, "the greatest," they mean one of two things: (1. who had the most significant career, or (2. who resonates with them personally the most.
I never have shared others' enthusiasm for Miles Davis. I agree that he was responsible either in whole or in part for many new styles and directions of jazz - the "cool" period back in the Fifties to so-called "modal" improvisation to fusion, etc. - but in terms of mastery of trumpet technique he is strictly an also-ran in my view. I just don't think he was a very good trumpet player.
StevenE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Stanley Crouch, it is interesting to read the last chapter of Gene Lees' book Cats Of Any Color. It goes into some detail about Crouch, Marsalis and Davis. Davis didn't like Marsalis.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
khedger wrote:

I think you're missing out by not wading into at least a handful of articles, which were at times both provocative and brilliant. Others wouldn't necessarily agree with everything he wrote, but I guarantee you would find him compelling if given 1/2 the chance. Dismissing him lock, stock and barrel for not embracing every avant garde player...keep in mind, since the bebop era, a ton of players got it into their heads that they couldn't play something familiar or relax, but had to come up with a whole new approach to music, to validate themselves. Isn't it partly true to an extent with Miles, if you look at how he chose to title the nonette recordings, "Birth of..." The idea firmly in his head, that any new release of his, would be > revolutionary and ground breaking, NOT warmed over turkey.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/16/913619163/stanley-crouch-towering-jazz-critic-dead-at-74

I never said I dismissed him wholeheartedly because he 'didn't embrace every avante garde player'. There are plenty of avante garde players who I could never embrace for various reasons. But Crouch dismissed ALL of them, after supposedly having BEEN one of them. He did nothing but carp about Miles being a sellout for doing Bitches Brew and his later material, all the time cashing in handsomely by totally dissing anyone who played anything aesthetically North of 1945 and attaching himself like a lamprey to Wynton's 'neo con' movement. As i said....he was a total hypocrite.

keith
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I've never been into Miles. For some guys the sun rises and sets with Miles Davis. I can't tell you the number of times someone, after learning that I was a trumpet player would ask, "oh - so you like Miles Davis?" No. Not really. And I've tried. Either I just don't understand what I'm listening to, and therefore don't have the ability to appreciate it, or if it's something else.

It's undeniable what he did as a musician - he pushed the envelope, took things in new directions, and put together some really fabulous bands - but Miles just has never been my cup of tea.

That recording sounds decent though - it's some of the better playing I've heard from him.

I think it depends on when in his career you hear him. I think when he was younger playing more straight up jazz he was more listenable, had stronger chops.

I find things like Bitches Brew, Live At The Fillmore East unlistenable. I listened to as much of each as I could stand. Some people find them to be great artistry. Okay. At some point I think he was riding more on mystique than his chops. Not sure if it was because of drugs and lifestyle, maybe even psychological issues. I think he was playing on less than ideal physical tools for the instrument to begin with.

Listening to Sketches Of Spain I can't help but think how much better an album it would have been if someone who was a stronger player had done it.

I've long wished it was possible to hear what he sounded like at the point when he auditioned for Juilliard. He played well enough to pass their audition process even if he never really felt at home in the environment - just trying to envision Miles playing straight-up legit trumpet.

I don't consider myself a big Miles fan, but was at the Olive Garden one night and heard what I thought was some really nice playing and Shazam'd it - lo and behold it was a young Miles.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: