• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Advice on fighting Acid Reflux and Neck Puff?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alternaterep

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Advice on fighting Acid Reflux and Neck Puff? Reply with quote

I've been playing trumpet for 6 years, and have really been taking it seriously the past 3 years or so, with my sights set on being a professional trumpet player. In the last 2 years I started developing neck puff that created a domino effect, causing pain when I play, difficulty swallowing, and at its worst, it caused my vocal cords to fatigue easily.

Through all of this, I began trying to fix these issues however I could. I started doing exercises to strengthen my throat, and I'm still actively working on playing more freely.

It wasn't until last year, however, that I realized I likely had acid reflux for a while, and I have a theory that this worked in tandem with tense playing to cause many issues for me. Initially, I believed that trumpet playing caused discomfort in my chest, but once I figured out that it was reflux it made a lot more sense. After finding out my reflux was actually pretty bad, I began chasing down ways to tackle my reflux issues, hoping to reduce my reflux and prevent further injury from trumpet. This theory has been proving somewhat successful, although not even close to a "silver bullet". (As with any solution.)

I'm a fairly stubborn person when it comes to my passions, and I'm not willing to go down without a fight. I also believe that I've made a lot of progress in playing more healthily, although I'm not sure that I haven't passed a tipping point.

I wanted to make a quick post and see, has anyone else ever had an experience with acid reflux affecting their trumpet playing?

Would anyone have any advice?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medical discussions and advice are prohibited on TH.

That said, you might have a hiatal hernia. Schedule an appointment with your doctor to discuss and get advice.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For information I have a hiatal hernia and reflux for years (if not decades) and I have no problem to play. There is very good pharmaceutical drugs to fight the reflux but the very important points are what you drink, what you eat and… your weight.
As wrote LittleRusty, have an appointment with your doctor. Hiatal hernia and reflux are very common and well known. Your doc knows what to do.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltrane wrote:
For information I have a hiatal hernia and reflux for years (if not decades) and I have no problem to play. There is very good pharmaceutical drugs to fight the reflux but the very important points are what you drink, what you eat and… your weight.
As wrote LittleRusty, have an appointment with your doctor. Hiatal hernia and reflux are very common and well known. Your doc knows what to do.

I spoke from experience. While my neck didn’t inflate I had a hernia in my neck that trapped stringy food. It felt like I was going to die when it happened.

I eventually had a scan done where I had to drink this totally disgusting pepto bismol pink liquid designed to coat the throat and then show up on the scans. 🤮
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: