• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

After 20 yrs Hiatus i'm Giving This a Go Again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiker74

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: After 20 yrs Hiatus i'm Giving This a Go Again Reply with quote

Hopefully this is a place to put our weird wild journeys in trumpet playing in order to gain encouragement from each other to keep going

I started playing in 6th grade after school in the cafeteria. This would have been around 1987 or 1988 I think. I then played concert band in 7th and 8th grade and then in High School I did Marching, Concert, Jazz (more big band classics than jazz) and Pep band. In college I was not a music major, but the NAIA D1 school I attended offered a stipend to people to play in the pep band for home games and the occasional away game. It wasn't a lot of money, but was nice for taking my then wife to be out on a date night for a steak now and then. It had a additional benefit as this is where my wife and I met.

I played briefly in a church ensemble, but after that my playing was rather spotty and did not really "count" and I essentially stopped around 1999. I'd pick up my Bach Strad 43 every once and a while and oil the valves and play a couple scales, but that's about it. My wife kept her Strad 37 as well. In 2016 to fund my other hobby of astronomy I sold my Bach 43 for a telescope

In 2020 my 12yr old son wanted to be in band and picked trumpet. He plays my wife's Olds student trumpet that we had fixed up. He's been doing rather well and I was motivated to start playing again. He has his first performance this Thursday. My wife started playing again as well. Our Jr High trumpet player has got us both back into it.

I recently found a great used Schilke S32HD in lacquer on here and was contacted by the seller. I've played it a few times weekly and need to play much more to develop my embouchure. My son is a typical 7th grader and we have to really push him hard to practice. I keep meaning to practice as well, but then the clock shows 9:00 and the kids start their bedtime process around that time.

It's tough to find time to play when you have family responsibilities. My ramp up song is Malaguena. It was my favorite song I played in concert band, so once I can play that well i'll venture into other things. I really want to become better at reading music and getting through sight reads better. I kinda squeaked by as I was a really good ear player. My wife was a Piano major and also played trumpet so i'm hoping maybe she will give me lessons for reading music better. It's really easy to get discouraged after hearing myself play as well. I can play a pretty good high C and E, so i'm doing ok I guess

If you could send multiple virtual kicks in the pants my way i'd appreciate it!

Jon
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arban Book - the duets - great for family bonding.

You can separate your sight reading studies from actual playing - something you can do after 9:00pm.

Oh - one of you needs to sign up for trumpet lessons.

Glad you are back.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing! Do you have a specific goal in mind for your playing? For instance, do you want to join a community or church group? If you don't, try setting a goal. It might help with your motivation to practice.

Lessons are a great idea. Discuss your goal with a teacher, who can help you figure out what to practice and how to practice it to achieve that goal.

Good luck!
Hiker74

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Welcome back to trumpet playing! Do you have a specific goal in mind for your playing? For instance, do you want to join a community or church group? If you don't, try setting a goal. It might help with your motivation to practice.

Lessons are a great idea. Discuss your goal with a teacher, who can help you figure out what to practice and how to practice it to achieve that goal.

Good luck!

Thanks-it might make sense to not let my wife teach me and rather go to an outside source given that my wife and I are both in the same boat
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: After 20 yrs Hiatus i'm Giving This a Go Again Reply with quote

Hiker74 wrote:

It's tough to find time to play when you have family responsibilities. Jon

I hear you. When my kids were younger I used to go weeks, even months at a time without practicing because I was working two jobs. When my youngest son wanted to learn the trumpet at age 11, I started practicing again so I could teach him. It was the best thing ever for my playing and as the years went on I had to practice more to stay ahead of him! He grew up to be a fine player and whenever he comes home on holidays from graduate school (physics, not music), we put on the play-alongs and jam to our hearts' content or until our chops give out, whichever comes first (it's almost always the chops!).
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent introductory post -- thanks for the details and welcome to the Group.

I'll add to spitvalve's comments re: schedule and responsibilities. Get a book of simple duets and carve out 10-15 minutes here and there to play them with your son. Perhaps it's how we were all trained in our own school years, but you don't have to have a solid 30-45 minute practice session for it to "count."

I will occasionally take the horn out on the deck with me while I am monitoring our grade school age children playing in the yard. A couple scales, some long tones here and there, just doodling... if I have to put the horn down to "referee" their activities (heh) it's not the end of the world.
Hiker74

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get back in a routine is extremely tough. I've been second guessing myself why I started this back. I'm not developing very well and i've been discouraged. I think the only way to get somewhere with this is to get some private lessons going
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run away! Run away!

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: