• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Multiple Horn Cases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alaskanaut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Best Multiple Horn Cases Reply with quote

Howdy, I'm in the market for a new triple case. I currently have a Coyote, from Torpedo Bag. I purchased it used, and I've noticed the interior material is pretty rough. It's stripping the lacquer from my horns. I really would prefer a case that didn't do that.

I'm hoping I can get some advice on a multiple trumpet case. I'm trying to avoid the gig bag style, and would prefer something with more protection. I would like to be able to take it as a carry-on, as well. That last would be an added bonus.

I'm currently looking at a Marcus Bonna triple.

And, a Pro-Tec Triple.

I'm open to other suggestions, and any reviews/ feedback. Thank you!
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Wiseman. Marcus Bonna triples are very heavy, and probably less protective than your Coyote. The Wiseman that I have is very light, and I think it does a good job of keeping my horns safe. A carbon fiber model would be even lighter than leather/fiberglass, although it is very expensive.
alaskanaut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Get a Wiseman. Marcus Bonna triples are very heavy, and probably less protective than your Coyote. The Wiseman that I have is very light, and I think it does a good job of keeping my horns safe. A carbon fiber model would be even lighter than leather/fiberglass, although it is very expensive.

Just looked those up. That is a sexy case. I'm going to drop them a line to see how long their wait list is. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it's a lot cheaper than messing up my horns. Thank you
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kind of depends on your needs.

I have several ProTecs. They're solid, decent cases. They're super for schlepping to my vehicle, to rehearsal, and back home. I wouldn't take them on a roadtrip (I'm talking bus, cross country, baggage handlers) or check it on a plane.

I used my old (now, very old) ProTec triple back in college and on college trips and it was fine, because I personally loaded under the bus. Still, it would make me nervous, now.

I have a iPac (or iPaq?) triple with wheels and it's nice and perfect for what I need.

If I was going to Europe again, I'd get or use something else.

I'm very iffy on my new ProTec triple as a carry-on. Sometimes gate-checking is better than the baggage claim, though. Still, it's a gamble I'm not sure I would do.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about keeping the horns in a bag? I keep mine in an anti-tarnish bag because mine are silver, but a flannel bag would work. Or even take a square piece of flannel and use it to separate the horn from the case.
alaskanaut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
How about keeping the horns in a bag? I keep mine in an anti-tarnish bag because mine are silver, but a flannel bag would work. Or even take a square piece of flannel and use it to separate the horn from the case.

I'll give that a shot, for a little while. I would prefer not to have an extra step of bagging my horns, before putting them in the case. I'm not sure about the torpedo bag singles, but I wouldn't recommend the coyote. I would like to get rid of this case, tbh. It doesn't do it for me anymore, and I don't like the company.
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Multiple horn case Reply with quote

Raw Brass; Protective and correct dimensions for carry-on.
LCM
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gard triple trumpet?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the folks around school have MB or Stomvi. I use the Stomvi.

I have a Gard elite triple I carry flugel+cornet in and it's pretty nice—and very compact. There's a youtube video up where someone packs 5 standard horns in one.

I worked with a guy with a raw brass case - it's a standard (pelican or something) wheeled box with a bunch of padding. It weighed a ton but you pulled it like a suitcase and you could park a truck on it.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
ThatFoxtrot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protec ZIP case is a fairly compact triple hard case. definitely would be small enough to use as a carryon. Plus it has wheels and backpack straps. I like mine.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

That's what came to my mind as well. While you wait on a new bag/case, you could use something as simple as pillow cases to "line" your existing case just to keep the roughness of the fabric in your old case from rubbing against your horns. You don't have to put the horns inside the pillow case, but just lay a couple of pillow cases over the rough fabric to protect your horn finishes...until the new case arrives.
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though you only need a triple, I'd get a Musical Bags quad.(sold in the US under various labels, Stomvi for one). I have been using one of these full time for 7 years. Very flexible, and if I only need two horns I use a Bonna double. One horn, just a single Bonna or RB single.

Musical Bags Quad

they also have a Triple , but just get the quad. If you only put three horns in, you can use the fourth slot for accessories

dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
Even though you only need a triple, I'd get a Musical Bags quad.(sold in the US under various labels, Stomvi for one). I have been using one of these full time for 7 years. Very flexible, and if I only need two horns I use a Bonna double. One horn, just a single Bonna or RB single....they also have a Triple, but just get the quad. If you only put three horns in, you can use the fourth slot for accessories...

I bought the musical-bags.com quad case in glossy black a couple of years ago. Great case; very protective; very compact (meets most airline carryon size requirements). The glossy black surface does show scuff marks easily. I imagine all of the brilliant solid colors they offer would result in showing scratches. I had some of that product that you use to get rid of scratches on your car paint, and it worked to restore the surface of the black. However, if I were to buy another one, I'd probably buy one of the speckled cases, which will hide scratches. I see them in black with white specs, and white with black specs...probably prefer the former, but could live with either.

Last edited by dstpt on Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in several situations with an international traveler player who has several Raw Brass Cases, an RB Max designed for 4 Trumpets and an RB Jr that is, from my understanding, a 2.5 case designed for 2 Trumpets and 1 Piccolo or 1 Trumpet and 1 Flugelhorn. Her cases have had lots of actual flight and travel time to both Europe and Africa and still look great! She says that there has been no damage to any of her horns so far!

Though my needs are not as demanding as hers, I have needed a more reliable and user friendly Multi case. After looking at and asking questions about many others, I ended up getting a RB Jr. It is much more robust than I would ever need, but still an easy way to transport, at least my usual, Bb/C/Picc combo. Having a solid retractable built in extension handle and in-line skate wheels, it is anything but cumbersome and it is carry-on sized!

Lots of choices, this one is for me!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: RB cases Reply with quote

Me too
LCM
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Protec triple years ago, the one you can configure the inside. I bought it to carry 2 horns and all my mutes, trumpet stand, valve oil, glasses, etc. It seems to be very protective for general use, but I wouldn’t let someone throw it into a baggage compartment or truck with my horns in it. I’ve been pretty happy with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: