• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Case Reply with quote

I'll be flying to Europe in the near future. Pretty sure it'd be okay, but just wondering if anyone has had any issues stowing a standard horn case in the overhead compartment?

Thanks in advance yet again.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread which is the same topic.

In the post on page one by DrKristensen there is a link to travel recommendations by Torpedo Bags. There are some TSA/government links you should review and save to your phone (or print hard copies) just in case. Pun not intended.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Thank you sir.

Pun is ... okay.

Thread is officially redundant now, so if the mods wish to delete, that's fine.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no problems with my Protex Slimline case fitting into overheads. It is 22 inches/56 cm long, which is the maximum length for the overhead on many aircraft. A case longer than that might not fit. Have a safe trip!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on which ariline(s) you're flying.. I'm sure things have changed and are changing all the time, but there is no "standard".
Check the individual airline web sites that you're flying, I'm sure there will be information there.
I found the airlines to be more or less strict on size, often had to do with how full the flight was.

In Europe and Asia I used either a Protec Vax double case (the one with wheels) or a Protec trumpet double.. both were allowed on board and fit in overheads. But would not have been on Ryan Air.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a connecting flight, look to see if you'll be on a regional jet (particularly the CRJ-200 or ERJ-145 series). Their overhead bins are small and more often than not carryons need to be gate checked and placed in the hold with the checked bags. There is also a chance of this happening on larger aircraft if you're among the last to board a full flight and the bin space has been taken up.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I've had no problems with my Protex Slimline case fitting into overheads. It is 22 inches/56 cm long, which is the maximum length for the overhead on many aircraft. A case longer than that might not fit. Have a safe trip!

Thanks very much

Looked it up, and for Australia it's 85cm/33 inches length and no more than 7kg in weight. I've no doubt they'd not weigh it as long as it looks about right.
And to that end, as soon as this country even hints at opening international borders again, I'm outta here.
I was all set to do the same right before this 'pandemic' hit. I was off to Japan for a month or so at the time. Been going crazy since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: