• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

WANTED: Olds Standard Trumpet Review and Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: WANTED: Olds Standard Trumpet Review and Recommendations Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me whether or not I ought to pursue acquiring a 1940's Olds Standard ? Of course price is everything so I am curious to know what anyone thought was a good price for one in good shape ? How do these stack up against the others in the Olds line up ? Some say since it was the predecessor of the Super, it is comparable to one. I see them being made concurrently though, hence my confusion. I've owned a couple of Special cornets, LA and two-toned Fullerton. Nice horns but nothing special to my mind. Of course I've owned several Ambassadors spanning different eras.
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a couple Standards, a 1940 and 1947, and really like them. They are the most Besson like trumpet in the LA Olds lineup. For me the tone is darker than the Supers, but different than the later Recordings (maybe less 'shimmer' than the Recording). Definitely less of a commercial type horn than the Super. They play great, intonation and slotting is on a par with the best LA Olds horns. I've seen them listed for sale in the 500-800 range, and in my opinion they are the best horn you could get in that price range.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love mine. They were great vintage pro horns made by Olds, I think they replaced "The Olds" as the go to horn in the 1940s.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I did well to pick this up for $ 356 USD with Shipping to Canada ? There were a couple of small, 1/4 in diameter, professional patches on the lead pipe and it apparently had a thorough going over by the same pro shop. Otherwise it looks in really good shape. The original owner apparently used this on the Lawrence Welk Show so I guess some of those tiny Champagne bubbles burned a hole through it in spots. Larry wouldn't allow any lemons on his set was my reasoning for clicking the mouse.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
OK so I did well to pick this up for $ 356 USD with Shipping to Canada ? There were a couple of small, 1/4 in diameter, professional patches on the lead pipe and it apparently had a thorough going over by the same pro shop. Otherwise it looks in really good shape. The original owner apparently used this on the Lawrence Welk Show so I guess some of those tiny Champagne bubbles burned a hole through it in spots. Larry wouldn't allow any lemons on his set was my reasoning for clicking the mouse.

Last edited by Abraxas on Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
Abraxas wrote:

I seem to recall URL's are blocked on this Forum so, I offer the item number from Feebay. 353649103245

I use URLs all the time. Just click the URL button above the edit window and paste the URL and close the tag.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some of the old Olds Cornet's required a special mpc shank. Do the trumpets need a special Olds MPC also ? Thanks.

... and here's the ad I got this from ...... Advertised for $335 , i am surprised it lingered there for so long, before I got it for $300..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353649103245
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came in today and despite being cosmetically rough in spots the valves , no pun intended, blew me away. Near mint. If the Supers, Mendez, Recording and Opera are all better than this Standard, i must put them on my bucket list. This horn is fabulous !!!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Good to read you like it so much.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
Nice! Good to read you like it so much.

So are the Supers, Mendez, Recording and Opera that much better ?
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
So are the Supers, Mendez, Recording and Opera that much better ?

I cannot say, I’ve never played an Olds Standard. All I can say is that the Recording I have does play amazing

The only Olds horns I can compare it to are an Ambassador I once got for a friend, and the Olds Super cornet I own. The Recording is very mouthpiece sensitive, making it an extremely versatile horn. It’s also easier to play than either of the others. But the Super cornet is a great player too (just a little less sensitive than my Recording, and having more resistance). The Ambassador was a good horn for its price and played well, but the Recording is easier to play subtly and overally a better quality horn (though I did consider keeping the Ambassador too ).

As for the Super Recording, I once had a chance to try one and decided to pass on it because I was afraid I might buy it on the spot if its reputation is true.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I've owned a few Ambassadors and Specials. The Specials were both cornets, an old brass LA and a two tone Fullerton. They were ok. No pun but nothing Special I thought. Ditto for the Ambassadors except for an LA model which was truly charming. When one of the valves started hanging up, I proceeded to destroy it trying to improve it's functioning. Problem with these horns is that they are not considered worthy of new valve jobs but i hate throwing them in scrap bins too cause they play so well.

I guess I'm just going to have to save up and patiently hunt down an Opera and Recording. I have been told that the Standard was very close to the Super. Not sure how others feel about that ?
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bixtone wrote:
I own a couple Standards, a 1940 and 1947, and really like them. They are the most Besson like trumpet in the LA Olds lineup. For me the tone is darker than the Supers, but different than the later Recordings (maybe less 'shimmer' than the Recording). Definitely less of a commercial type horn than the Super. They play great, intonation and slotting is on a par with the best LA Olds horns. I've seen them listed for sale in the 500-800 range, and in my opinion they are the best horn you could get in that price range.

Can you tell me if it requires a special shank on the MPC like some of the other ancient Olds ? Thanks.
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpets do not require a special shank. The cornets do require a special larger shank up until the mid 1950s. The Standard model cornet was produced only during the era of the larger shank.
I am using some Olds shank backbores made recently by Jim New that are excellent.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm putting mine in the shop today for an overhaul. Going to finish it in a lacquered matte, I guess , although last minute recommendations are welcome.
taylordiving

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Abraxas, does anyone else agree that $300 is an absolute steal for that horn? All the best with your new purchase and I'm sure you're going to love it.
1941 & 1942 Olds Supers
Getzen Eterna Cornet
Yamaha 8315G Flugel
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taylordiving wrote:
Well done Abraxas, does anyone else agree that $300 is an absolute steal for that horn? All the best with your new purchase and I'm sure you're going to love it.

I put it in the shop here in London, Canada and they did a fantastic job of getting it back to the point it looked coming off the line. I'm really thrilled at the valves and slides that are like velvet now. That set me back another $350 but I finally own a horn that was worth spending some money on. I don't deserve the horns i own now and I certainly can't rationalize the purchase of any more unless they are those stunning deals, that pop up every couple years.... like this one. Funny it sat on Ebay for $350 for a month until my offer took it. That i did not understand.

I just need to figure out how this apparent quick change Bb / A works.

Provenance : One of Lawrence Welk's trumpet players owned this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: