• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practice mute

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeweyDavis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Practice mute Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a practice mute. So far I have checked out the Yamaha Silent Brass and the sshhmute. The Yamaha costs much more than my trumpet did. The sshhmute is priced okay.

Any thoughts on them?

Thanks
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO you have already checked out the two quietest. I have both. The Yamaha is my go-to mute for trumpet and flugelhorm. BTW you can buy just the Yamaha mute without the play-along accessory.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Practice mute Reply with quote

DeweyDavis wrote:
The Yamaha costs much more than my trumpet did

You might want to invest in a better horn then. The silent brass is $180 on amazon.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: DO-IT (or doit) Your own self - Hold my beer! Reply with quote

I make my own. Not too hard, but my experimentation of where and how many and how large the vents took a few times. I can make a couple of these a night, but the third one usually has a really messy cork and too many holes.

I make a few for the other guys in the section. The Baptist church orchestra requested a set done as straight mutes for their whole trumpet section. They are not as quiet as a Yamaha Silent Brass, or even the SSHHHHMUTE (Spelling??) but will work backstage. The straight mutes have a much better low register than most straight mutes, actually, but you do need to sand corks for intonation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1quvv085cln62up/DSCN0293.JPG?dl=0
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Eazy Bucket Silencer
https://www.dillonmusic.com/eazy-bucket-trumpet-silencer-mute/
In a survey of mutes someone posted on TH some time ago, this one ticked off all the boxes for me. Very quiet. I have played in a hotel room bathroom with my wife asleep in the room and not awakened her.
The only disadvantage of this mute is that it has to be carried separate from the trumpet -- does not fit into the bell very far.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi huntman

i have been !making those for a while now too.and they work great!

it's nice to see others problem solving in a similar fashion
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Bremner. It is cheap, light, and mutes the sound. Some resistance change vs. playing open but ok. I’ve got them for trumpet, flugel, and bass trumpet.

The silent brass (had the old one for years) is heavy, clumsy, and all those wires got on my nerves, so I sold it.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
ChriZZ83

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of reduced volume I can recommend this little boy here:

https://www.thomann.de/de/thomann_compact_warmup_trumpet_mute.htm?sid=d2d1069eace3c8e2b04fc3363b9467e9

But the resistance increases significantly. Nevertheless, I never had a more quiet mute.[/url]
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Practice mute Reply with quote

DeweyDavis wrote:

That says more about your horn than the Silent Brass system.

trumpet2012fhl wrote:
You might want to invest in a better horn then. The silent brass is $180 on amazon.

Yeah. Unless you got a good deal on a really nice used horn (it happens!).
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
DeweyDavis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I have much to consider.
DeweyDavis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Practice mute Reply with quote

trumpet2012fhl wrote:
DeweyDavis wrote:

Patience grasshopper.
NYCTPT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Shhh and the Yamaha. Both are ok, but I really only use them in emergency situations as the pitch and resistance is just too much of a pain for me. Recently, I got a mute made by Mark Hughes from the Houston Symphony. They're really cheap ($35, I think) and it's by FAR the best playing practice mute I've played. It's a little older than the others, but the pitch was good from low F# to g above high C. Response was very natural as well and didn't seem to make me feel too spread after using. I just had to play on it for a week in a hotel room and had no problems with neighbors or adjusting to playing naturally when I got home. For me it was the best and it's not even close. And, on top of everything Mark is a really great guy so it's nice to support a colleagues business!
DeweyDavis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYCTPT wrote:
I have the Shhh and the Yamaha. Both are ok, but I really only use them in emergency situations as the pitch and resistance is just too much of a pain for me. Recently, I got a mute made by Mark Hughes from the Houston Symphony. They're really cheap ($35, I think) and it's by FAR the best playing practice mute I've played. It's a little older than the others, but the pitch was good from low F# to g above high C. Response was very natural as well and didn't seem to make me feel too spread after using. I just had to play on it for a week in a hotel room and had no problems with neighbors or adjusting to playing naturally when I got home. For me it was the best and it's not even close. And, on top of everything Mark is a really great guy so it's nice to support a colleagues business!

Thanks for this. Does Mark need a website that he sells the mutes on?
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out the Divitt Trumpet Practice Mutes. It plays with less resistance than the EZ Bucket or the Yamaha practice mute for me. You can get them from Austin Custom Brass....
https://www.austincustombrass.biz/divitt-trumpet-practice-mutes-fantastic-new-product/
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about the UpMute from Stomvi. Also, Divvitt seems to be popular and is more affordable. Haven't tried either yet, but those are the two I've heard others rate as the #1 practice mute at present
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
I've heard good things about the UpMute from Stomvi. Also, Divvitt seems to be popular and is more affordable. Haven't tried either yet, but those are the two I've heard others rate as the #1 practice mute at present

i have all that are mentioned in this thread, my handmade renuzit was hands down the best ever, and is still great, but the upmute, its the best i've ever used, hands down, but remember, using a practice mute requires a slightly different approach, "less air" , that will benefit all aspects of playing if done with correctly.

good luck

tom
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a few practice mutes and until recently carried the Dillon version of the small Best Brass practice mute. I also have the Faxx version. Both play fairly well in tune and the blow isn't bad for a practice mute. They are very quiet.

I recently purchased the new Divitt mute. First of all, they are really cool looking. Of all the practice mutes I have owned and/or played, the Divitt easily plays the most open in all registers and is the most in tune of any of them. It is a bit louder than the Dillon or Faxx mutes, but it is still quiet enough to use to warm up in a trumpet section without irritating the trombone players in front of you, and as we all know, trombone players are easily irritated.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words about my mutes.
They are available through J. Landress Brass and Austin Custom Brass, or directly from me by contacting me through my website or Facebook/Instagram pages.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also interested in this topic. I have the old version of the Yamaha Silent Brass. I really liked it because it does greatly dampen the sound, I can hear myself with a decent sound in the earbuds, but most of all because I can plug my phone into it and practice jazz improv with play along recordings.

My problem is that when I go on vacation for a few days or more my chops are wrecked and it takes a while to rebuild them. I am assuming this is caused by some change I am making when I play due to the back pressure of the mute.

I have never played with a practice mute that doesn't cause back pressure. Do any of you know of a practice mute that you can use several hours a day for a few days without wrecking your chops?
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I have often said that the best mute of any kind is no mute at all and that the use of any mute should result in a Union fine. However, mutes are a necessary evil, and for that reason I have more than a small fortune invested in a ****load of mutes in order to be able to use the best ones I can find.

As far as practice mutes are concerned, although not the quietest, the best practice mute I have found to date is the Divitt, hands down. It is the closest thing to playing an open horn and for me it is the least likely to cause playing problems after repeated use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: