• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Full of hot air

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeweyDavis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Full of hot air Reply with quote

An observation I had.

When I breathe from the middle of my chest my lips get tired much quicker. It seems that I am forcing the mouthpiece against my lips. When I take a nice big breath and fill my belly everything is less forced. Lips don't get tired as fast and playing with dynamics is easier.
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Full of hot air Reply with quote

Too funny that you posted this today!

I realized I've been lazy with my air, so this evening I focused on big deep breaths and maintaining solid air support. What a great evening of playing!
Yamaha 631 Flugel
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I was going through my collection of old trumpet company catalogues and other associated literature. I came across a Getzen Company publication from about 1966 called "Yogi Exercises and Breath Control" by Fred Sauter. That was a life changing little tract for me that I haven't really thought about. It was all centered around learning to control and practicing breathing from the diaphragm. I have been told about my use of air (a lot of it) by several of my friends (and a local professor of trumpet) in the last year, and hadn't really thought about how I still apply the exercises even today, 55 years later. until I found this little tract. I do the "Cleansing Breath" before I play, without realizing I was doing it. I practice his methods of walking and breathing exercises naturally. Rhythmic breathing exercises are a part of my daily routine. Interesting that you brought this up today!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: FUll of Hot air Reply with quote

Quote:
a Getzen Company publication from about 1966 called "Yogi Exercises and Breath Control" by Fred Sauter.

http://www.trumpetdvd.com/ARTICLE.html
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: