• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ACB flugel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: ACB flugel Reply with quote

I am a Monette player and I'm getting an ACB flugelhorn...should I invest in a Monette mouthpiece or just use the one it comes with?

Thanks!
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you play enough flugel to justify the expense, then it makes sense to buy a Monette mouthpiece. I think it would be best to try out the horn as-is for at least a month before spending half the cost of the horn on a new mouthpiece.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monette's claim to fame seems to be that they match shank length to the pitch of the instrument and have a larger throat and matching backbore. Since flugelhorn mouthpieces already all seem to do this, I wonder if folk who use Monette flugelhorn mouthpieces have seen a big change in how it influences their playing.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monette flugel pieces will have the rim contour and "feel" that OP is used to. most modern flugel pieces still have small throats, whereas a Monette should have a large throat and matching backbore.
mikepodorski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ACB Doubler Flugelhorn (love it!). The horn is great, but I would definitely suggest an upgraded mouthpiece. The intonation seems to be off with it, and the rim diameter was pretty big. I bought a Trent Austin 15cf (close to a 1.5 rim diameter and shallower cup) and Yamaha 14f4 (feels like my go to trumpet 14b4 with a deeper cup than the TA). I don't know if a Doubler priced horn warrants a super high end mouthpiece. But, I do like the continuity between my trumpet and Flugel mouthpiece.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just chiming in here to say we have a lot of mouthpieces in our line with rims that are fairly comparable to the Monette line. Just send us an email at mpcsales@austincustombrass.com or call 816-410-0826 x700 for more info.

Best,
Trent

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike some, I find the flugel to be pretty forgiving in terms of playability. For tone there are lots of options depending on what type of sound you want. The supplied ACB mouthpiece I found serviceable but not remarkable. The upgraded ACB 5MDF mouthpiece is far more interesting. If you want a really dark sound I enjoyed the Reeves HF cup that I tried. Didn't play it long enough to know if it'd work for long and in all settings.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you currently don't have any Flugelhorn mp's, 1st FH?, then I would definitely wait until you get the horn and play it a while before starting the mp 'shuffle'. My approach with the flugel has always been to have a similar rim to my trumpet mp and go from there. My flugel is almost always an in-between horn (trumpet, flugel, trumpet, repeat...) so for me keeping the rim sizes similar is important.

Trent has already chimed in, give him/them a call, I find ACB to be a very helpful and knowledgable resource.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: