• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Soloist over True Grit ending titles?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Soloist over True Grit ending titles? Reply with quote

There's a nice solo over the ending titles in the 1969 John Wayne movie True Grit. Nothing pyrotechnic or high, just a nice full, melodic sound. Anyone know who it is?

To clarify I'm talking about the original film soundtrack.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“The last track True Grit-Instrumental (first orchestration) is a rendition of the original orchestration which features a trumpet solo from Marek Zvolanek and harmonica from Steve Lockwood.“

https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2006/05/15/true-gritjohn-wayne-filmselmer-bernstein/

Could be the track you are referring to.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
“The last track True Grit-Instrumental (first orchestration) is a rendition of the original orchestration which features a trumpet solo from Marek Zvolanek and harmonica from Steve Lockwood.“

https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2006/05/15/true-gritjohn-wayne-filmselmer-bernstein/

Could be the track you are referring to.

No, I'm sure the Zvolanek recording is fine but I'm referring to the original film soundtrack. Zvolanek wasn't born yet when the film was made.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd like to know who played that as well.

There was sheet music available for the title song ( sung by Glen Campbell ) and is typical Elmer Bernstein quality. I have played the song several times and it sounds quite nice on trumpet.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard from Gio Washington-Wright. He has access to some kinda data base that gives bunches of info on who recorded what movie, tv, etc.

He tells me it was Uan Rasey on True Grit. Guess he was loaned out to Paramount from MGM for this one.

https://youtu.be/TV8Zjf6yc_A?t=7601

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Just heard from Gio Washington-Wright. He has access to some kinda data base that gives bunches of info on who recorded what movie, tv, etc.

He tells me it was Uan Rasey on True Grit. Guess he was loaned out to Paramount from MGM for this one.

Interesting - I was going to say it has a similar feel to the theme from "The Waltons" - which Uan was soloist on the first version of the theme. There were a couple of other players who later did it as well.

Uan might have even been playing cornet on the True Grit theme, which I believe he used on The Waltons.

The sound editor chopped off his last note on the first phrase.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
trpthrld wrote:

Interesting - I was going to say it has a similar feel to the theme from "The Waltons" - which Uan was soloist on the first version of the theme. There were a couple of other players who later did it as well.

Uan might have even been playing cornet on the True Grit theme, which I believe he used on The Waltons.

I don't hear any chopped note, just a solid clean cutoff.

To the best of my information, Uan never played "The Waltons" - that was ALL Graham Young. I could be wrong on that. Graham's other big movie credit was "The Great Waldo Pepper." Most of his studio stuff was TV, records & jingles.

Yeah - back in a time where there was so much work in LA that dozens of trumpet guys were working all the time. Easy to get lost in the crowd.

Uan always played trumpet - never cornet. His mouthpiece was HUGE, but he could and did play everything on it.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Robert P wrote:

Interesting - I was going to say it has a similar feel to the theme from "The Waltons" - Uan was the soloist on the first version of the theme. There were a couple of other players who later did it as well.

I don't hear any chopped note, just a solid clean cutoff.

Listen closely at 2:07:25 - you can hear the note get chopped off and a brief, hollow *thunk* right after which I think was some artifact of the editing process. Not sure if his part was being punched in and they did a clumsy job of it or they butt-spliced sections of music together.

Quote:
To the best of my information, Uan never played "The Waltons" - that was ALL Graham Young. I could be wrong on that. Graham's other big movie credit was "The Great Waldo Pepper." Most of his studio stuff was TV, records & jingles.

Yeah - back in a time where there was so much work in LA that dozens of trumpet guys were working all the time. Easy to get lost in the crowd.

Uan always played trumpet - never cornet. His mouthpiece was HUGE, but he could and did play everything on it.

The cornet part I'm not sure about - maybe it's just that his tone had a warm, cornet-like quality but I was told about Uan playing on the first version of The Waltons theme by a guy named Jay Daversa who said he himself played on a later version - maybe the last one? - and he mentioned someone else who also did a version - it might have been Graham Young.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard that edit too
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle of the solo - yeah, I hear it now. I was thinking of the end of the solo.

Graham Young was the Waltons. Others may have recorded it but Graham is who did the one that's used for the show.

Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Middle of the solo - yeah, I hear it now. I was thinking of the end of the solo.

Graham Young was the Waltons. Others may have recorded it but Graham is who did the one that's used for the show.

If you listen to the intros from the various seasons which ran for nine years and different specials there are a number of recordings. The basic melody is the same, same driving waltz rhythm but the orchestrations, recordings and solo performances vary quite a bit, I'd be very surprised if they were all the same player.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: soloist over True Grit end titles Reply with quote

I am one who would go along with Uan Rasey playing the soundtrack. He left an amazing library of sound bites out there. We play the horn for years and years looking for that kind of sound and whether we find what we are looking for or not you have to just sit back and drink in work like that on True Grit and The Waltons for that matter. I just watched True Grit on Encore a couple days ago.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/_zMFNiYjZyA

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.N.A.Mendez wrote:

Thanks for that clip on Uan Rasey. Such an amazing trumpet player.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
A.N.A.Mendez wrote:

Thanks for that clip on Uan Rasey. Such an amazing trumpet player.

Yeah. That was great!
TMT

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Bob DiVall, and the subject of a great anecdote by Tom Stevens:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1120753&sid=fc485922d1c3f663e0f17bba3f878a7f
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: soloist over True Grit end titles Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
I am one who would go along with Uan Rasey playing the soundtrack. He left an amazing library of sound bites out there. We play the horn for years and years looking for that kind of sound and whether we find what we are looking for or not you have to just sit back and drink in work like that on True Grit and The Waltons for that matter. I just watched True Grit on Encore a couple days ago.

So, I'm sure this has been asked before and I'm guessing it's NOT Uan Rasey (though I could be wrong) but anybody know who does the solo on the old Bob Newhart theme by Patrick Williams (the Chicago based show)?

Keith
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: soloist over True Grit end titles Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
So, I'm sure this has been asked before and I'm guessing it's NOT Uan Rasey (though I could be wrong) but anybody know who does the solo on the old Bob Newhart theme by Patrick Williams (the Chicago based show)?

Buddy Childers on both Lead & Solo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: