• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I need a little advice for a youngster

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: I need a little advice for a youngster Reply with quote

A friend of the family has a son entering into his third year (7th grade) of school music playing the trumpet. He took to it really well when he started and excelled pretty quickly. One of those kids excited to practice and learn.

Unfortunately, this summer he got braces (top and bottom) and it has really messed with his playing. To the point that he was seriously considering quitting band. The mom asked me for any advice I could give him. Fortunately for me, I never had to deal with playing with braces. I did have friends that did and I know it was a real pain, literally and figuratively, to deal with.

I figured somebody on here would be able to give me some better first hand advice I could pass along to help this kid and keep him on the horn. Any tips, tricks, or suggestions to make it easier on his lips and to help him adjust his embouchure accordingly? What about mouthpiece recommendations?

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played through it for years, Blessing and a 5C. No fun, but I made it. Today I would look into getting (renting or borrowing) a tenor horn, baritone horn, valve bone or the like. At the time I didn’t even know these existed but now I do. In retrospect, playing low brass for a while (and maybe go light on the trumpet) would have avoided the permanent lip injuries/problems caused by the braces and would at the same time also have supported my airstream development, among others.

Get him a Getzen valve bone
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Brassnose - p.m. sent.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett, I read these two posts wrongly. It likely doesn't apply to you, but I'll re-post anyway, (sent a pm to Brassnose), FWIW.

I've got a pristine Yamaha valve bone I could part with if it can help. If not, no foul. As we say in Hawai'i, "If can, can. If no can, no can." LOL

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered talking to his orthodontist? There are other ways to align teeth besides fixed brackets. It’ll require some more thought and effort by the orthodontist (and may be a bit more expensive). However, if the kid’s a prodigy then it’d be a shame if they’d quit because of this.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I played through it for years, Blessing and a 5C. No fun, but I made it. Today I would look into getting (renting or borrowing) a tenor horn, baritone horn, valve bone or the like. At the time I didn’t even know these existed but now I do. In retrospect, playing low brass for a while (and maybe go light on the trumpet) would have avoided the permanent lip injuries/problems caused by the braces and would at the same time also have supported my airstream development, among others.

Get him a Getzen valve bone

Just my opinion, FWIW….which might be not much.

I teach a lot of middle schoolers who go through this same situation. IMO, trying to switch a 7th grader to a lower brass horn is probably going to discourage him more than he already is. Yes, trying to play trumpet with braces is difficult at best, but with proper encouragement, some exercises to help them acclimate and possibly some aids like Morgan Bumpers (braces “guards”, available on Amazon). it can be done. I would guess that more than half of my students get braces, and the vast majority continue playing with them, and continue after they’re removed.

Brad
rdpyle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been teaching students in this age group for more years than I want to think about. Every year I have multiple students get braces. It is absolutely possible to adjust to playing with braces, and to adjust again when they come off.

When the braces go on, the student is essentially given a new embouchure. Therefore, the old way of playing will likely no longer work. Forget about the level they are at, and go back to square one. I always bring a bag of mouthpieces to the first lesson after getting braces, and the only goal is to find something that doesn't put pressure right on the corner of a bracket. Usually the student will end up on something slightly bigger or at least with a different rim profile. Occasionally it will be much bigger, very rarely smaller. Some students use wax or brace guards until they get used to the feel of braces, but most of them agree with me that the last thing we want to do is add even more stuff inside the mouth.

Once a comfortable mouthpiece is found, I go all the way back to the first page of their beginner method, and rebuild from scratch. The good news is that because they have already developed some strength and control, things progress much more rapidly than when they were true beginners. What might have taken weeks to learn as a beginner may only take a few days. High range and flexibility are expected to be the last skills to return, due to the braces digging in to the back of the lips. I constantly stress to the student to work from a place of ease, and gradually expand the playing skills to encompass more difficult things. At no time should they be allowed to sacrifice good technique! If something doesn't work without pressing, twisting, or any manner of forcing, then it is a skill that will have to develop later.

My average student takes about 4-6 weeks to really feel like they are able to play well again, even if certain skills may be lagging. The majority of ones who take longer are usually clinging to their old way of playing, and it is not until they embrace a different way that works for them that progress can begin.

Perhaps the most difficult thing is helping the student mentally. It can be crushing to a young player, especially one who is dedicated and has excelled, to no longer be able to play at the level to which they are accustomed. I prepare my students for braces starting weeks before the actual date, so they know what to expect. When teaching, I use the strategies laid out by Carol S. Dweck in her book Mindset, encouraging the student to think of this as a challenge to overcome, and emphasizing the process over the results. Praise the successes, but remind the student that the other things that may not be going so well are works in progress. The goal is to build the student up through a series of successes, however small, in order to maintain a positive outlook. I have also been known to intervene with band directors, in order to ensure that the student is not being forced to play things beyond their current ability. Above all, remind the student that this is only temporary, and that many of the best players in the world survived braces, and that at one point in time those players were struggling with the exact same issues. We were all beginners once!

Robin
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rdpyle -
Robin - at that impatient age when, at least in U.S. culture, instant gratification is so common, isn't going back to the beginning a real challenge? How do you deal with that? Thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son was a fine player in middle school. 1st chair in local honor bands, 3rd chair 2 years in midstate. (all of middle Tennessee). He got braces and it wrecked his playing. But he loved playing and kept after it. We used an epoxy putty mix that you molded to your braces. It was the only thing that worked. I have had kids use Morgan Bumpers (I taught middle school band) with some success. But if I was going to do it all over again I would get him online lessons with Jeff Smiley and get him into the Balanced Embouchure method.

Jeff advertises that his method works for kids who get braces. I have started using his method over the last 2 years. I don't have braces, but I can see how my new embouchure would work better with braces than my old traditional embouchure.

And I would highly recommend invisalign braces. I started using them last week. The orthodontist is allowing me to wear them without the studs on my teeth until I finish an important upcoming gig. I only have the brace on my lower teeth. The uppers don't need braces. I can play with the brace in, but it will require a little work to get used to playing with it. But it doesn't cause the kind of pain I've seen with regular braces in my students.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: I need a little advice for a youngster Reply with quote

I faced this as a decision when 14-15 and my parents, (who always supported me in music) said the decision was mine. I opted to not have braces because I had been to enough music performance contests by that age to see how they mess with players. Now, at 71 there have been tooth situations over the years.
I admire the teacher who said he has worked with alot of young players who have braces. My teacher at the time, who was very wise, said it isn't going to be easy playing at all. It's a to each his own. Good Luck to the young person you have talked about.
LennyLTrump

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through similar challenges. I only started trumpet early this year, made decent progress, then my primary dentist said I need to get braces for teeth alignment.

One of the questions orthodontist asked is whether I play any instruments. I mentioned alto sax for several years, and that I'm new to trumpet.

I went with the invisalign-type. There are a few brands but Invisalign is recognizable. They're user removable for meals. However, because no air can pass between the top teeth gaps or the lower teeth gaps, they cause me to lisp (actually sounds like "lithp") when speaking. Obviously affects the airflow when playing trumpet. Even being removable, I practice while wearing them since they're supposed to be on for at least 22 hours a day. Took a few days before I could produce a consistent sound.

I don't have first hand experience with traditional braces (my violinist kids have them) but because they have protruding wire holders glued to each tooth, I can see that they change the gap, shape, and airflow between the front teeth and the mouth. I can also see that someone who plays with significant pressure between mouthpiece and mouth (I don't, I use very little pressure) can be subjected to pain and even injury.

With both types, traditional and invisalign-type, the embouchure changes but the latter is removable so there's an option to remove before playing but I don't think my orthodontist would approve. The orthodontist also explained to me that the traditional wired braces provide more control on teeth alignment. They're also less expensive.

Next embouchure challenge will be after the treatment is done and the braces are removed and we're supposed to use retainers thereafter to keep the teeth from moving back.
rdpyle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
@rdpyle -
Robin - at that impatient age when, at least in U.S. culture, instant gratification is so common, isn't going back to the beginning a real challenge? How do you deal with that? Thanks.

That is a challenge, to be sure. From day one, I teach my students that practice is a life-long process, and that improvement isn't always a steady and predictable thing. Plateaus and breakthroughs happen to all of us, and the longer you are in this game, the more likely it is you will experience a setback. I speak very openly about my recovery from Bell's Palsy, and the other issues I've dealt with (broken teeth, accidental lip damage, oral surgeries, etc.), and how in every case my comeback has made me into a better player. Also, comparisons to athletics can drive the point home to younger kids. Tom Brady didn't just pick up a football as a kid and know how to throw a spiral. He practiced a lot, and still does. He worked with great coaches, and still does. Even though he is a champion, he continues to work to improve. Over time, the vast majority of my students come to embrace this mindset.

One of the most important tools is parental involvement. It is essential that the students are supported at home, and are receiving a consistent message. Again, this is something I cultivate from the very beginning of lessons. Too often, parents think that trumpet is something a child does for 30 minutes a week in their lesson. I frequently end up teaching the parents about growth mindset as much as the students.

Being forced to start over, whether from braces, injury, or layoff, can allow us to eliminate poor techniques that we learned at a time when all we cared about was getting the note out any way possible. One of my colleagues once remarked, "We spend the first few years learning to do everything wrong, and the rest of our lives trying to undo the damage!"

Robin
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had several students over the years go through getting braces both on and off. Generally, it is not a surprise to be getting braces and the student knows it is going to be happening well in advance.

Since we know what is coming, we approach it head on. We start going back to basics before the switch and build that into their routine ahead of time, and it has made things so much smoother and easier! Range and flexibility take some time to return, but they are much more comfortable with the switch in general that way.

Yeah, I did that!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
And I would highly recommend invisalign braces. I started using them last week. The orthodontist is allowing me to wear them without the studs on my teeth until I finish an important upcoming gig. I only have the brace on my lower teeth. The uppers don't need braces. I can play with the brace in, but it will require a little work to get used to playing with it. But it doesn't cause the kind of pain I've seen with regular braces in my students.

I'm a recent graduate from Invisaligns. Because I play trumpet my orthodontist never glued any of those "attachments" to my mouthpiece area. In my case, I was missing a top front tooth and I found it easiest to play with the top Invisalign in and the bottom out.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdpyle wrote:
I have been teaching students in this age group for more years than I want to think about. Every year I have multiple students get braces. It is absolutely possible to adjust to playing with braces, and to adjust again when they come off.

When the braces go on, the student is essentially given a new embouchure. Therefore, the old way of playing will likely no longer work. Forget about the level they are at, and go back to square one. I always bring a bag of mouthpieces to the first lesson after getting braces, and the only goal is to find something that doesn't put pressure right on the corner of a bracket. Usually the student will end up on something slightly bigger or at least with a different rim profile. Occasionally it will be much bigger, very rarely smaller. Some students use wax or brace guards until they get used to the feel of braces, but most of them agree with me that the last thing we want to do is add even more stuff inside the mouth.

Once a comfortable mouthpiece is found, I go all the way back to the first page of their beginner method, and rebuild from scratch. The good news is that because they have already developed some strength and control, things progress much more rapidly than when they were true beginners. What might have taken weeks to learn as a beginner may only take a few days. High range and flexibility are expected to be the last skills to return, due to the braces digging in to the back of the lips. I constantly stress to the student to work from a place of ease, and gradually expand the playing skills to encompass more difficult things. At no time should they be allowed to sacrifice good technique! If something doesn't work without pressing, twisting, or any manner of forcing, then it is a skill that will have to develop later.

My average student takes about 4-6 weeks to really feel like they are able to play well again, even if certain skills may be lagging. The majority of ones who take longer are usually clinging to their old way of playing, and it is not until they embrace a different way that works for them that progress can begin.

Perhaps the most difficult thing is helping the student mentally. It can be crushing to a young player, especially one who is dedicated and has excelled, to no longer be able to play at the level to which they are accustomed. I prepare my students for braces starting weeks before the actual date, so they know what to expect. When teaching, I use the strategies laid out by Carol S. Dweck in her book Mindset, encouraging the student to think of this as a challenge to overcome, and emphasizing the process over the results. Praise the successes, but remind the student that the other things that may not be going so well are works in progress. The goal is to build the student up through a series of successes, however small, in order to maintain a positive outlook. I have also been known to intervene with band directors, in order to ensure that the student is not being forced to play things beyond their current ability. Above all, remind the student that this is only temporary, and that many of the best players in the world survived braces, and that at one point in time those players were struggling with the exact same issues. We were all beginners once!

Robin

This may be the best post I've ever read on the subject.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rdpyle - thanks, Robin.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdpyle wrote:

Robin

Teflon plumbers tape works well to cover the braces where the mouthpiece hits. Get the thickest you can find. Blue Monster brand is good.

Experiment with different diameter mouthpieces. Different sizes will contact the braces in a different spot.

It will feel different. Focusing on how it feels causes students to forget to breath. Focus on a good breath and sound.

Get Invisalign or some thing similar that can be removed when playing/eating/etc.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:

Teflon plumbers tape works well to cover the braces where the mouthpiece hits. Get the thickest you can find. Blue Monster brand is good.

That is genius. I've recommended Ezo denture cushions before, the the teflon tape would make less of an impact on the embouchure.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
rdpyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:

Experiment with different diameter mouthpieces. Different sizes will contact the braces in a different spot.

It will feel different. Focusing on how it feels causes students to forget to breath. Focus on a good breath and sound.

Get Invisalign or some thing similar that can be removed when playing/eating/etc.

I have never tried the teflon tape. I can see how that could make things more comfortable without adding too much "stuff" inside the mouth. Inevitably, I'm sure I'll have an opportunity to test it out later this year.

I hope no one thought I was suggesting that the student focus only on feel, and ignore the wind and sound. That was certainly not my intention. It's just that the change in feel, and discomfort along with it, can be so overwhelming that the student often thinks of nothing else. I have found that addressing that issue head on, in combination with keeping the attention on tone and breath, often puts it in the rear-view mirror a bit quicker.

@Billy B
Do you have any advice on exactly how to teach younger students what sound they should be listening for when they play? More and more, I find that young students do not listen to music enough, so they don't have a strong mental concept of good tone, and since the sound is enough different behind the trumpet compared to out front, I'm not sure they would be listening for the right thing anyway (I know I didn't at that age).

Robin
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Mpc for Braces — out of production and getting rare Reply with quote

Lots of good advice, already.

• Try to find a ►Neill Sanders◄ mpc.

In looking online for — and not finding — Keith Amstutz’s Brace Guard product, I ran into this old essay by Jim Donaldson on the Children’s Music Workshop site …
https://www.childrensmusicworkshop.com/resources/articles/braces/

—Denny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: