• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback Players - What's your story?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long was your break before coming back?
1-5 years
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
6-10 years
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
11-20 years
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
20+ years
61%
 61%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 21

Jlensgraf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Comeback Players - What's your story? Reply with quote

I happen to be a comeback player still square in the middle of his comeback. Starting in elementary school, I continued playing through high school - in marching band, symphonic band, jazz band, and even a ska band.

However, when I went to college I left my trumpet at home and never picked it up again - as I sadly let my father sell it during college. It was a unique horn that I regret letting go to this day and have yet to see again on the used market (Bach 37G with 1st Valve Trigger).

Fast forward to my late 30s in 2018. I picked up a used F. Bession International (Kanstul made) and slowly starting to get back into it on and off for a few years. It is only in the past 10 months that I've really picked up my practice and have stuck to it daily (for the most part). Combine that with several online lessons with two great teachers, and I am finally at a point where I feel my tone is back to what it used to be and my range is even better. My next step is to join some groups and start playing in that setting (Church, Community Band, etc). I see that happening in the coming years.

One of the biggest differences between my comeback and when I played before is practice. Before, I simply used all the time at school playing as my practice and rarely did it on my own. Today, I only practice on my own as I have not yet joined any groups. Today I also have access to all the great resources for trumpet players online and a nice little library of trumpet books (24 or and counting - I may have a problem). The one thing I've not gotten back yet is my musicality, but I'm working at it. I'm not looking to become a professional or make a living on trumpet. I just want to sound good and provide enjoyment for others when I play in public.

I cannot be the only one who has drawn inspiration reading the posts here on Trumpet Herald. And I think it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to comeback stories for me and other to continue to draw motivation and inspiration from. I did try to search for an existing thread like this in the forums but did not have any luck.

So, what is your comeback story?

p.s. regarding equipment - I grabbed a used Conn V1 earlier this year that I've been having a lot of fun playing. Any other Conn V1 players here?
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Comeback Players - What's your story? Reply with quote

Jlensgraf wrote:
I happen to be a comeback player still square in the middle of his comeback.

After playing from early 1960 until mid 2000, I'm back since late 2014.

Jlensgraf wrote:
My next step is to join some groups and start playing in that setting (Church, Community Band, etc). I see that happening in the coming years.

I had no plan to ever play again until I got put on the spot to join a Brass Ensemble at my church. Found my horns in storage, worked on them and played around on them a bit for a couple of weeks before going to my first rehearsal with the group. After a very honest analysis of my then current skill level compared to the rest of the group, I started working out my comeback practice plan. After a few months of playing every other Sunday with the ensemble, I went on a trip to visit my oldest son for 2 weeks. A Mississippi Symphony Orchestra musician subed for me while I was gone. When I came back, we became fast friends and I started traveling with her to play in many of the situations that she was involved in. Playing well was and is a challenge at times but my shortcomings inspire(d) me to start chasing the dream again so I jumped in the deep end. BTW I will be 70 in less than a month, am retired from my day gig and since my Wife passed away in January, I practice a lot! Covid has impacted "live" performances a bit but a lot has started back up again. Let's hope it stays that way.

Jlensgraf wrote:
I cannot be the only one who has drawn inspiration reading the posts here on Trumpet Herald. And I think it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to comeback stories for me and other to continue to draw motivation and inspiration from.

TH has been a great resource to get back in the swing! I truly hope that your comeback is as rewarding as mine has been.

Best regards,

Mike

PS You might consider moving this thread to "Comeback Players" in the Forum to get more views. Your call!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Comeback Players - What's your story? Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
I had no plan to ever play again until I got put on the spot
...<snip> to play in a summer band I've played in since about '04. Somewhere around 2014 I hung it up, migraine issues, and thought that was it. Some very good friends helped persuade me to give it another shot this year and I had a lot of fun with the group this past July. I have avoided calling myself a 'comeback' player but that's just fooling myself, I am on the come-back trail. The best part is, for whatever reason, the migraines have not returned and I'm really getting back in shape again. If I'd practice as much as I read the very inspiring posts here on TH I'd probably be doing better!

BTW-Ditto: ...PS You might consider moving this thread to "Comeback Players" in the Forum to get more views. Your call!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a career-musician who has had forced lay-offs due to health.

Played until I got a hole in my ear drum on a deep-water Shark Safari in Hawai'i, and had to lay off about nine months.

Crawled my way back and then had two strokes. No playing for about two years I don't even remember.

Crawled my way back again, then had sight problems ​which included sightlessness for a while. Seven operations. Talk about terrifying (I live alone).

Been creeping my way back again.

I've got a series of Schlossberg exercises popular on the west coast way back when, designed especially for players coming back for one reason or another. Doing the best I can, but I guess my professional days have come to an end. So it's just me and Art Farmer on Flugelhorns playing jazz covers of Swedish folk songs. (Art wins.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I started in second grade around 85 I think through high school and into the military some. I have had a few come backs and trying to do it again. I guess its on and off comeback over the past 20 years or so. Hopefully I will be able to really be able to do it for good this time.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
Well I started in second grade around 85 I think through high school and into the military some. I have had a few come backs and trying to do it again. I guess its on and off comeback over the past 20 years or so. Hopefully I will be able to really be able to do it for good this time.

That must have been a real drag being in second grade at 85 years old.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
That must have been a real drag being in second grade at 85 years old.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: