• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso for Eb Soprano Cornet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpeter27

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Caruso for Eb Soprano Cornet? Reply with quote

I'm currently playing soprano cornet in a British style brass band. As many of you probably know, playing this horn is extremely demanding. I'm finding it quite challenging to maintain the necessary range, endurance and tone quality. I studied the Caruso method in the past with Dominic Derasse. I'd like to know if anyone has advice on how best to incorporate the Caruso method to optimize my performance on soprano cornet.
Schilke P5-4
Yamaha YCR-8335
Schilke Eb Soprano cornet
Dynasty E350 soprano bugle
trumpeter@aol.com
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domenic is wonderful!

The late Laurie Frink's "Flexus" book (with John McNeil) is a fantastic study of 'Caruso, plus' work for building and maintaining chops for the most demanding applications. The 'six note' exercise can be a great tool for setting-up on the Sop. - starting on G in the staff, even though our lips are buzzing frequencies more familiar as 'tuning C' on our Bb instruments. In particular, I've adapted some of the 'six note' exercise extensions from the Flexus book, such as including lip bending on repetitions, but I've also modified the 'open note' focus of the range-extensions they use for the 'six note' study to allow range building by fourths: G-C, then D-G, then C-F, then D under the staff to F on top of the staff.

I've done this on all key horns from Bb to G picc, and when you incorporate this into your regular practice, you can really feel it! Occasionally, I'll continue to expand in fourths - linking from A below the staff, and to Bb above...though I'm not quite sure how much sense this might make without looking over the book. It's worth having, and playing through it, or adapting it for your needs is the name of the game - both Caruso and Frink readily adapted their teaching methods to individual student needs.

The Flexus book on Laurie Frink's site:
https://www.lauriefrink.com/flexus

Also of interest, and on the topic of adapting studies - the late, great, Thomas Stevens on Schlossberg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpQFdDgeRWc

Happy practicing!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: