• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Pencil and Personal Trumpet Embouchure Exerciser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StellaMaris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: The Pencil and Personal Trumpet Embouchure Exerciser Reply with quote

This is the cheapest trumpet gadget I can think of but one of the most valuable: the pencil.

In high school and college I spent a lot of time using a pencil as a way to build up my embourcher and strengthen my corner and chin muscles.

I would place a pencil in my mouth like a straw and without smushing the pencil with my lips, I would tighten my embouchure around the pencil until my corners and chin muscles were hard and hold this facial position for as long as I could, at least I'd say at least 50 seconds at a time a day. It really helped to strengthen my corners to then help take pressure off of my lips when playing.

I later switched to a device that can be found on amazon which is just called a personal trumpet embouchure trainer. https://www.amazon.com/TODAYTOP-Embouchure-Training-Trombones-Saxophones/dp/B081RXYZ69 That was really useful because one end I would put in my mouth like the pencil, but the other end I could also put in my mouth like the pencil but then softly try to pull it while maintaining the embouchure position against the tension of pulling against it.

These exercises helped me not only to take more pressure off of my lip and play with greater ease, but also convenient to take with me while not in a practice room.

Anyhow, those are two things that had really made a difference in my practice routine and playing, does anyone else use those?
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried them for awhile but decided a more valuable approach for me was to focus on playing soft slurs like those in Scott Belck’s book. The difference for me is that the pencil trick is just weight lifting for your chops but playing slurs involves making music while you are building your embouchure.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that a copy of Warburton's P,E.T.E? https://warburton-usa.com/products/p-e-t-e

How do they get away with this?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Isn't that a copy of Warburton's P,E.T.E? https://warburton-usa.com/products/p-e-t-e

How do they get away with this?

A patent is only worth it if you can afford to defend it, and good luck defending it against companies overseas.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a P.E.T.E. and I have been using it for 60 seconds once a day for about three and a half years. I am not using it to build chop muscle. It is just a maintenance thing and I feel it helps me maintain my endurance and range for the rigorous band playing I do.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Rbmcneil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pencil exercise was recommended to me and I use it during my commute to and from work. I hold or try to, the eraser end between my teeth without letting them touch and exhale for as long as possible. It is fun and I imagine other motorist must think I'm mad...lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: