• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry 600 Series Equivalents ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Curry 600 Series Equivalents ??? Reply with quote

I picked up a handful of Curry 600 series Cornet, MPCs a couple years ago and really have come to like the 40M and 40 C. I like the fact that I can kick it up several notes higher than say a 7C, without effort and without fatigue. I presume the shallower cup is doing that.

Being a perpetual neophyte, I am overwhelmed by the number of different MPC's out there.

Since my 40M works for me , on Cornet, I went hunting for one for my trumpet. Easily found, but living in Canada means I'd have to pay about $100 for a new one, with shipping etc. I'd take anything close in an M or S cup and maybe even a C cup. I like Curry mpcs. I don't like the prices.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest an alternate to Curry for us poor folks, but of the same dimensions as say a 40M or S or C , in that order of preference. Thanks as always.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try https://mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=Curry+cornet

They’re $61.59 plus shipping.
Maybe you can get a rate better than $40 for shipping there.

If the shipping is still rough maybe you can have a friend in the United States accept delivery and then mail them to you. I don’t know if you’ll find a brand new curry mouthpiece for better than 61.59 anywhere.
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Curry 600 Series Equivalents ??? Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
I picked up a handful of Curry 600 series Cornet, MPCs a couple years ago and really have come to like the 40M and 40 C. I like the fact that I can kick it up several notes higher than say a 7C, without effort and without fatigue. I presume the shallower cup is doing that.

Being a perpetual neophyte, I am overwhelmed by the number of different MPC's out there.

Since my 40M works for me , on Cornet, I went hunting for one for my trumpet. Easily found, but living in Canada means I'd have to pay about $100 for a new one, with shipping etc. I'd take anything close in an M or S cup and maybe even a C cup. I like Curry mpcs. I don't like the prices.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest an alternate to Curry for us poor folks, but of the same dimensions as say a 40M or S or C , in that order of preference. Thanks as always.

sometimes you have to pay the band, currys are always available on ebay. you found something you like, that works, cheaping out doesn't always work. Stay with what works, they really aren't that much more expensive.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Try https://mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=Curry+cornet

If the shipping is still rough maybe you can have a friend in the United States accept delivery and then mail them to you. I don’t know if you’ll find a brand new curry mouthpiece for better than 61.59 anywhere.

Sorry, I meant $100 CAD. with $15 shipping it's $77 USD, which is $97 Cad and like everyone else I guess, our government is bankrupt so you know i got taxes upon taxes and customs clearance charges ... i'm sailing past $100 CAD and almost at $100 USD.

My whole point in asking is to see if anyone knows of comparable specs on say a Bach, or any other mfg. I thought Curry was basically copying other MPC's but perhaps I am mistaken.
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
Shaft wrote:

Sorry, I meant $100 CAD. with $15 shipping it's $77 USD, which is $97 Cad and like everyone else I guess, our government is bankrupt so you know i got taxes upon taxes and customs clearance charges ... i'm sailing past $100 CAD and almost at $100 USD.

My whole point in asking is to see if anyone knows of comparable specs on say a Bach, or any other mfg. I thought Curry was basically copying other MPC's but perhaps I am mistaken.

Curry is a big step up from bach.
but horses for courses is the way it goes.

regards,

tom
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the 10 1/2 D is pretty close to a 40 M. I may just go for a Heil Mary pass and buy a 10 1/2 EW. Found a bunch on sale up here in Canuckistan.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

regards,

tom

Sorry ... in what way Tom ?? Can you be more specific ?
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
Quote:

regards,

tom

Sorry ... in what way Tom ?? Can you be more specific ?

Yes, it starts with the guy making them first of all, he has vast knowledge as a great player right off the bat, he makes an assortment of "different" types of mouthpieces for every type of sound you could want, His stuff is always spot on when it comes to specs, for example an 00C, a 00TC, and a 00Bc will all have the same ID's, but yet they will all have their own inherit qualitites based on the way they are cut. For example, The 00C, very bach like C cup, but with a more comfortable rim, the OOTC, same id, but with a more V- shaped cup, the 00BC, same blank as a Bach, but again with a more comfortable rim. BAsically what i'm trying to say is that when you Buy Curry, you have options that a big manufacturer like bach will not give you, like personal service, and answers to your question. I like Curry obviously, and have had good experience with buying them. It helps to know what your looking for as far as sound concepts your chasing. There are alot of other good trumpet mouthpiece makers, find whats most comfortable and allows you to play the notes. I like curry brand to get this done.

regards,

tom
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the 40C allowed me to very easily reach high notes I can't with your typical Bach 7C, 3C , 6 etc. I don't want to find out it was the horn though, after spending $100 on a mpc that wouldn't have much resale value.

As i said and it's worth repeating, I'm looking to see what offerings Bach might have that are close to the dimensions of the 40 M. So far, I think the 10 1/2 C is close but am thinking the 10 1/2 d or even E would be closer and thought I might as well bulk up on cushion for my old puffy lips and get a 10 1.2 EW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: