• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Add On

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worldartform

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Add On Reply with quote

Hello Hello Hello, everyone in this Place... I am a new marching band director over, eighty five young/young adults and about twenty five of them are all brass... "Yeah I know... Wow!!! So if anybody know if any fun exercises, routines or anything down to what's the best oil to use etc;

"This post was only to thank you and everyone in The Trombone Place, for welcoming me, I am not here asking for donations, either way I'm thankful"
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Add On Reply with quote

Worldartform wrote:
Hello Hello Hello, everyone in this Place... I am a new marching band director over, eighty five young/young adults and about twenty five of them are all brass... "Yeah I know... Wow!!!

I will add you to my prayer list.

I am not a professional musician. I'm not even a particularly good hacker so take this for what it's worth. The things that helped me most back in high school were scales and lip slurs. I didn't receive any instruction in double and triple tonguing and I wish that I would have. So, you might want to take some of the scale and tonguing exercises from the Arban book and Herbert L. Clarke's Technical studies give them to the kids to study and then make a contest out of it to see who can play the most scales and the fastest scales.

As for lip slurs, I don't know how you would make them fun, but they sure help you improve your tone, range and flexibility. I like the studies in 27 Groups Of Exercises By Earl Irons.

Personally, the most fun thing I did in band was play music that I really liked. Who knows what kids like, but expose them to stuff with which they may not be familiar (baroque music, traditional jazz) as well as some things that have stood the test of time (Light Cavalry Overture, William Tell Overture) and hope for the best.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read the original post I thought it was some sort of spam. So apparently, hidden in the somewhat awkward text, we have a new band director on board at TH. Welcome!
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: