• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benge owners:Burbank (Kanstul) model 1S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alty62244

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Benge owners:Burbank (Kanstul) model 1S Reply with quote

In addition to a Benge (L.A.) 3x, 3x+, 6x,(Claude Gordon), and a Burbank 5*, I have a Burbank 1S made my Zig. In an earlier discussion about bells (2x vs 3x, vs 5x), the 1S Bell is noticeably much, much larger than any of the 3.....(or the Claude Gordon 6x as well). Where does it sit in the discussion of bells, dark or bright and free blowing. I find it's sound enormous for the level of air. Is it less resistance?
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to know what a Benge 1S might be.
I don't see anything about such a Benge anywhere.
1S was a Callcchio bell though.
Those interested in Benge trumpets would certainly like to hear and see more about this one.

Does it have "1S" stamped anywhere?
Could the been have been added later or do you think it was original?
It is always interesting to see an atypical Benge.
alty62244

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for not being more clear in my original posting. The horn is a Kanstul-built, BURBANK 1S......I hope there is a knowledgeable Benge, Kanstul, Burbank member who can help me with the specs and uniqueness of this horn....it blows exactly like my Benge 6X Claude Gordon......Big, Big, Big..a monster thrououht it's rage
alty62244

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....oh, yes....to answer your question, just as with the Burbank 5*, the Burbank 1S is stamped on the bell.....this is not a Benge, but a Burbank trumpet made in approx 1985.....
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see anything elsewhere about a Burbank 1S.
I'd guess that this is a unique trumpet that has Zig's take on a Calicchio 1S bell.
That may well make a great trumpet. If you want more input from people interested in Benge, you will have to post more info. Pictures of the 1S would be a good start.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul listed the 1501 as having a 1s bell and a 7 leadpipe, and the 1502 "Hollywood" as a 1s bell with a 2 leadpipe - so basically those Kanstul models were Calicchio 1s/7 and 1s/2 derived. It would appear that you have the Burbank version of one of them.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
alty62244

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !!!

Great news from Ron Berdt and Heavyweight member re: the Calicchio 1S. I thought that might be it. This horn is the best that I have played since 1955 when I was in 5th grade as a beginner. Thanks guys !!!!!
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldon Benge made a 1x bell that he didn’t consider successful, and had pretty much dropped the model by the time he moved to Burbank. As I understand it, the 1x trumpet was a medium bore horn. I don’t think any 1x Benges were made in Anaheim when Zig Kanstul was running the shop. According to Charles Hargett, Zig wasn’t interested in re-creating the 1x after he started Kanstul Musical Instruments and was making the Chicago series and the Burbank Trumpets with Michael Thimas. I suppose it’s possible that someone convinced Zig to make a 1-Star Burbank trumpet with the Benge 1x bell mandrel as a one-off.
alty62244

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO "Liberty Lips". Thank you for the info.I got the horn when Dr.Larry Zingale was teaching at Miami-Dade Community College, in 1985. He was friends with Zig, and decided to order 3 of the 1S model on Zig's say-so. but I don't remember his specifics regarding the history of the model when he sold me 1 of the 3 while we were playing our weekly duet practice. He also talked about Calicchio's horns, so unless someone who was a co-worker or one of Zig's sons, remembers, I will live with the knowledge that it was either Zig going back to an old Benge proposed project or a Calicchio clone.....happy either way .......thanks to all of you......what a great bunch of guys on this website !!!!!!!!!
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone like Robb Stewart or Josh Landress could take some measurements and determine whether it’s a Benge 1x bell or a Kanstul-Calicchio 1S bell. They could also give you information about the leadpipe and bore size if you’re interested. My suspicion is that it’s a copy of the Benge 1x, because I think Zig would have labeled it a Kanstul Signature 1501 or 1502 if it was the Calicchio copy.
alty62244

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grat suggestion. I will take a measurement of the Bell when I return home from the hospital (too much free time here with nothing to do), but I'll do that next week. The bore size on the valve casing says "ML" so if it is the proposed 1X then this will be a Kanstul hybrid (the bell size is larger than any of my horns, period: Bach, Benge, Olds Mendez, Selmer K-modified.....all of them, and the sound is bright and rings. The 2x bell, as mentioned elsewhere gave that horn a darker color........oh well.......more later when I can measure...
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: burbank model; kanstul 1s Reply with quote

Ron Berndt's knowledge is wide and vast. I was very interested in the answer to this one. Everytime he answers a question like this I know he has been to the top of the mountain. And I mean that very much as a compliment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: