• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stomvi Trumpets

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Stomvi Trumpets Reply with quote

How many of you play Stomvi trumpets? I am interested to hear impressions and experiences with these horns.

Last edited by Jon Arnold on Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question. You think it is a great horn. If I post it is a great horn, do you feel better? What if I say it is not a great horn, do you feel bad? Is this a phenomenon of the times? Do we need validation? I'm curious why people ask this question.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the question legitimate. Stomvi is a real brand but one that does not seem to be common, so before possibly ordering a new horn online (which I would never do) it is fair to collect impressions. Not all impressions will be useful to the OP, but some possibly will.

To the OP: sorry, I have never seen a Stomvi horn so no comment from me other than I think they look very elegant and some remind me (visually) of Schilke horns. Not useful, I know
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know lots of pros in LA playing Stomvis

i have never played one but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the chance to A-B a Stomvi Elite Bb against my Bach Strad. The Elite is Stomvi's version of a Bach Strad, pretty much. The Stomvi had the same ease of blow from low to high and maintained the same tone color; the high F sounded just as fat and full of overtones as the notes in the middle of the staff. Great intonation, beautiful build quality--it is a very, very well-made horn, on par with Schilke, IMHO. I'm hoping to try the VRII and the S3 in the near future because I've heard they're even better.

Stomvi-USA also makes great mouthpieces.

I have a couple of Stomvi Flex mouthpieces and I love them--I've played Warburtons for over thirty years and they're great, but my 3FVR/J6 (K.O. threaded my Warburton 4 rim onto it) is my favorite. I can play any style on it and sound good.

Sorry for the digression there. Yes, the one Stomvi trumpet I tried was awesome. But I know everyone has different tastes and playing approaches, so the best way to find out is to play one.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe more common on the west coast?

Their 4-valve model looks really cool
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a few Stomvi Bb and C trumpets at ITG some years back. They seemed to be well made horns, but (for me) didn't real stand out amidst the great horns from Bach, Edwards, Shires, Yamaha...that I played there. Of the Stomvis I tried I liked the S3 and VR II standard bell best for "all purpose" playing.
Aaronis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Interesting question. You think it is a great horn. If I post it is a great horn, do you feel better? What if I say it is not a great horn, do you feel bad? Is this a phenomenon of the times? Do we need validation? I'm curious why people ask this question.

I'm guessing you would have a real answer if the OP had asked about King Cleveland Superior Cornets.
1955 Mt. Vernon Bach
1947 Olds Super
Holton Revelation Model 48
1964 Holton Galaxy Cornet
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomvi horns are not something that I have seen in my environs. I understand that they are very respected by those who are in the know. What is the difference between Stomvi Spain and Stomvi USA if any? Just curious!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do symphonic music and sometimes I been asked to support another -amateur- orchestra, their trumpetplayer uses a Stomvi C-trumpet.
It's a good instrument, well made (he uses this horn for over 25 years now!).
Compared to my Antoine Courtois Delmotte C I would say it's nothing special, not outstanding, just a solid good sounding trumpet.
If you buy one you won't be disappointed
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbjt51 - It is my understanding that Stomvi USA horns are/were assembled in the USA from parts sourced from Spain.

I have a Stomvi USA horn - it is very were made and has a great even sound.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumara999 wrote:
cbjt51 - It is my understanding that Stomvi USA horns are/were assembled in the USA from parts sourced from Spain.

I have a Stomvi USA horn - it is very were made and has a great even sound.

Thank you for the info Kumara999! I had several interactions with K. O. Skinsnes now at Stomvi USA when he was with Bob Reeves a long while ago.

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've been playing an original Reeves VR for over 20 years. When I retired as a USN musician years ago I had a Schilke B5. It was a great horn that I used for brass quintet, concert band and lead in the big band while I was in. After retiring I began playing in a Carolina Beach Music band, basically R&B, Motown, Blue eyed soul, etc. 1 1/2 sets and lots of back to back hard amplified playing. I began to wonder if I was working too hard an I started seeing adds for the VR in the ITG. After some research and talking with Bob I ordered one in gold plate. It turned out to do what was advertised. It's a great efficient horn.

After that band folded I was back to playing BQ, shows, and concert stuff. In the mean time I tried and played an XO 1600i, Wild Thing, Schilke S42HD, and a Lawler TL. I seemed to always go back to the VR. Yes, a couple horns had a darker maybe nicer sound, but the VR was more efficient and the sound really carried, especially for playing shows. A few years ago I sent it to KO at Stomvi USA for a PVA and check up. I asked him what could improve the horn. He suggested a VR II bell. I had the new bell put on and this has now been my main horn for 20+ years. It's a great horn.
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaronis wrote:
Richard III wrote:

I'm guessing you would have a real answer if the OP had asked about King Cleveland Superior Cornets.

Funny.

When someone has a horn and says they love it, then asks what other people think, that's why I said what I did. The OP edited that part out of his original post.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THat should be 1 1/2 - 3 hour sets. Yes one group I played with did 1 3 hour+ set, 15 minute KC medley and a 20 EWF medley about 2 hours into the show. The VR kept me going.
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for me. The original Stomvi distributor down here is a fiend and we played many models at one time to try them out. There were many claims by the company and we found most not true… dark tone colour, superb intonation, etc. Build quality was excellent. In many ways, just another nit Bach trumpet. If you liked it, fine. If not, nothing to dwell on.

Teaching, many kids rocked up with a stomvi trumpet pegged as a step up model. It was tight, sat very sharp, needing at least 3-4cm of slide out, and bits fell off all the time. They were precisely what a kid did NOT need to be on and I feel held them back. It was so disappointing I recommended kids to avoid them, much to one store’s chagrin.

They now have a lot of innovative instruments, mostly picking up on 4 valve instruments that have more heft than their 3 valve offerings. Extremely expensive.

Meh…
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Aaronis wrote:
Richard III wrote:

Funny.

When someone has a horn and says they love it, then asks what other people think, that's why I said what I did. The OP edited that part out of his original post.

It is unfortunate that the OP edited his post.

The people that count when looking for validation of one’s instrument choice are themself, their director, teacher, and session mates, followed by the audience. While there is nothing wrong starting a fan thread on a model or brand, that is probably not the best way to determine if the horn is right for you.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, I play a Stomvi VR II and love it. I have not played any other Stomvi trumpet models. I would like to try other Stomvi models in the future.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for validation, nope. Looking for feedback from people who have played or play Stomvi trumpets.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Hi, I've been playing an original Reeves VR for over 20 years. When I retired as a USN musician years ago I had a Schilke B5. It was a great horn that I used for brass quintet, concert band and lead in the big band while I was in. After retiring I began playing in a Carolina Beach Music band, basically R&B, Motown, Blue eyed soul, etc. 1 1/2 sets and lots of back to back hard amplified playing. I began to wonder if I was working too hard an I started seeing adds for the VR in the ITG. After some research and talking with Bob I ordered one in gold plate. It turned out to do what was advertised. It's a great efficient horn.

After that band folded I was back to playing BQ, shows, and concert stuff. In the mean time I tried and played an XO 1600i, Wild Thing, Schilke S42HD, and a Lawler TL. I seemed to always go back to the VR. Yes, a couple horns had a darker maybe nicer sound, but the VR was more efficient and the sound really carried, especially for playing shows. A few years ago I sent it to KO at Stomvi USA for a PVA and check up. I asked him what could improve the horn. He suggested a VR II bell. I had the new bell put on and this has now been my main horn for 20+ years. It's a great horn.

Thank you for your feedback. Very constructive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: