• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

WHO PLAYED THIS SOLO????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaggsZ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: WHO PLAYED THIS SOLO???? Reply with quote

Here is a rather famous track from Atomic Basie called Li'l Darlin' by Neil Hefti. There is a nice trumpet solo at 2:05.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqn4nyZz0to

The trumpeters listed are Joe Newman, Snooky Young, Thad Jones, and Wendell Culley. But I cannot figure out which one played the solo. I tried my best, and I don't have the ears or experience to figure it out.

If you know, please tell me. However, if you don't, your guess is as good as mine (my guess is Thad Jones).
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know who played the solo, but Atomic Basie IS one of the best albums I own. Just listened to it a few days ago.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it's Sonny Cohn based on this video.

(My Google-fu is strong, although there are a lot of references to the fact that it was Sonny Cohn featured on "Lil' Darlin")

Link

- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - scratch that. This is live. I found another reference saying that the solo on the record was recorded by Wendell Culley.

https://www.jazzhistorydatabase.com/content/musicians/culley_wendell/bio.php

Touring and other highlights:Featured soloist on such jazz classics as “Lil’ Darlin’” with Count Basie, as well as “Airmail Special” and Midnight Sun with Lionel Hampton. Appeared on radio, television and on film including: That’s the Spirit (1933), Murder with Music (1948), Count Basie at Birdland (1956), Count Basie on the Kraft Music Hall (1959), and Count Basie in Zurich (1959).

I'll see what else I can find to see if I can confirm it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another reference, and this one pertains to the actual album:

https://www.amazon.com/Basie-Count-Orchestra-Hefti-Arrangements/dp/B001CMPR5S

"... and for contrast, the oldest member of the band, Wendell Culley, contributes a wistful, ruminative muted trumpet solo on Lil' Darlin'. "

I'm going with Wendell Culley on this one.
- ACB Doubler

LaggsZ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all are the greatest! Now I have a new trumpeter to admire... Wendell Culley! Thanks very kindly!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because it brought it to mind. Another nice rendition of this piece was done by Frank Capp.
https://youtu.be/xEavbtQ7ZNA
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
mihamilton

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all sang together, one at a time . In fact, the solo was written by someone on the side with 99% probability. There were then and now composers who wrote all the music. It's challenging to play the role of performer and creator of music. Outsourcing is not a new concept, and they knew about it in music too. Unfortunately, there were no platforms with free audio sounds back then; maybe you wouldn't even have to write solos. I'm joking, of course, a good solo is complicated to write; it's crucial to understand in what form the song needs it, where to put the accents is a science, so many musicians, in principle, refuse to write a solo.

Last edited by mihamilton on Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to say thanks for posting this so I could be reminded of how marvelous the Basie band was.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Who played this solo? Reply with quote

this question and the replies have reminded me how much I miss the big band era and musicians that just, "got it."
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Who played this solo? Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
this question and the replies have reminded me how much I miss the big band era and musicians that just, "got it."

Yeah, same here. It's an era I grew up in and man do I miss it.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! Indeed. And I´m so blessed (I´ve recently learned... ) that I have had the good fortune to play in a Swingband already at the end of the 1960s! Writing solos? Listen to the entire trumpet section playing Bunny Berigans solo in Marie (Dorsey)......
Oh my, these guys certainly "got it" - that elusive 'gift' so unevenly distributed... Doesn´t help to tell yourself "Well, git it".....(although we played it once or twice, ruining my lips...).
These guys , they were so deep inside the music, were the music.

And Basie: the sheer power of Kid from Redbank.....(as you could read in many an old score ""sock it"...- or what was written in one tune, don´t remember which one, in the drummer´s score: "Hit everything at sight.."
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Snooky Young on Lil Darlin!

Link
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Lil' Darling Reply with quote

Here's a bit of trivia for you...Neil Hefti brought Lil' Darling into Birdland for Basie to hear his newest composition/arrangement. Hefti kicked it off at a tempo of 150 or so as that's what he had in mind when he wrote it. A few bars into the chart Basie stopped the band and told Hefti he would prefer the tempo much slower. MUCH slower. Basie kicked it off at what became the tempo the band recorded it and played it for many years after that. I know this to be true because my friend Snooky Young was there and told me the story.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that bit of history, Tony - I had no idea, but I sure am glad Count Basie decided to slow it down.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Who played this solo?? Reply with quote

Thanks for the story, Tony. When you relate things in here it is much more to some of us. It is part of musical history, not just trivia, although it is darned good trivia.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Who played this solo?? Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
Thanks for the story, Tony. When you relate things in here it is much more to some of us. It is part of musical history, not just trivia, although it is darned good trivia.

Can tell that when the pro who helped me when my chops broke down giving me the first lessons of my life - died some years ago - the band he was rehearsing, in all its "big bandedness", stuffed into the church - played Lil´Darling in the very tempo that made it so gentle, so reflective and warm. Really filled both the building and our hearts.
William James Basie certainly had an ear for the soul of music!
Thanks Tony for sharing - music is more than just signs on a sheet.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lil' Darling Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Here's a bit of trivia for you...Neil Hefti brought Lil' Darling into Birdland for Basie to hear his newest composition/arrangement. Hefti kicked it off at a tempo of 150 or so as that's what he had in mind when he wrote it. A few bars into the chart Basie stopped the band and told Hefti he would prefer the tempo much slower. MUCH slower. Basie kicked it off at what became the tempo the band recorded it and played it for many years after that. I know this to be true because my friend Snooky Young was there and told me the story.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

My high school band director and jazz saxophonist, Wayne Chaffin, was a big Jimmie Lunceford, two-beat fan, so we always played "Lil' Darlin'" at an up-tempo as you described, Tony. We played dances for civic organizations and other schools. (early 1960s)
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Bucaneer61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My college director said the first time we played this tune - OK people, this should be played at "grown folks tempo". Ive never forgot that.
Blessing Artist Flugelhorn, rose brass bell
Accent Picc by B & S
Conn 28B Concert Grand Bb - 1925
Martin Handcraft Imperial - 1937
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: