• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Using a power bank with music stand lights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Using a power bank with music stand lights Reply with quote

Hi all,
When our windband (about 45 people) plays concerts, we often use music stand lights (similar to Mighty Bright, but different brand).
However, it is always a hassle with batteries dying, not recharging enough etc ... so there are lots of complaints about them.

Myself I've been using a Mighty Bright for some time in combination with a power bank. Never any hassle about bad light or bad batteries. So for me it's just a better solution.

Now people have noticed my setup and are looking to try it out themselves.
However, I use my mute holder to put on the power bank, which works fine.
But other instruments don't use a mute holder, so we're trying to find a solution where to put the power bank. Putting it between the sheet music is not a very good solutions.

Has anyone a solution on attaching the power bank somewhere to the music stand, taking into account that that the matching cord is not that long (doesn't reach to the floor)?
Extending the power cord is a solution, but we rather not have too many things laying on the floor.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Aria stand light. It's cordless and the charge lasts eight hours, so no worries about power cords. Adjustable brightness. It's also a better light than anything else I've seen. https://osmun.com/aria-brio-led-music-stand-light/
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the Aria lights.
I might get one for personal use.
But at 134 dollars in US and 150 euro in Europe, it is financially not feasable to buy 45 of them. While the lights we're using now are about 25 euro each.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a solution but, our band has the same problem. If I were in charge of the band, I would tell everyone to bring their own batteries. Maybe, after the concert tell everyone to keep the light and then be responsible to bring whatever light they want.

The band where I play is a for free thing. The band management is doing everything for free. I would give a pass to management on the lights and make the musicians do it.

If the band has some extra cash get the clip on shelf that goes under the stand.

https://www.amazon.com/Manhasset-1100-Acoustic-Guitar-Frets/dp/B0002E3A8S
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe being tied to a system with light cords running all over the stage. .Unsightly and unwieldy.

No matter what kind of setting I need them for, I've been in ensembles with individual lights for years. Even though it's expensive to get geared up (or dowm), it's worth it in the long run.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have private lights, so everyone is responsible for his/her batteries. As we play outside quite a bit, there is a number of people who use headlamps besides the regular lights that go on the music stands. Works nicely in the dark winter nights.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about supergluing a Neodymium magnet to the power bank case and then just attach the bank to the back of the stand?
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most real gigs I do now everyone uses an iPad Pro with a foot pedal to turn the pages, and the forScore app see the PDFs of the music. Set lists are easy to make, and you never need lights. In bright sunlight it’s conceivable there could be a problem with heat, but I’ve never actually had it be a deal breaker.

Sometimes the band with have their own iPads, and sometimes they email you the PDFs and the setlist ahead of time so you can come prepared to read the whole set. For situations where there is trading off the lead trumpet part, lie, a salsa band or big band we put both parts in the set list so that the lead part can be played by whoever wants it etc.

This is basically how gigs work now, or at least the gigs that pay good money.
It’s way better, easier, no worries about light or wind, or finding paper, etc
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
Most real gigs I do now everyone uses an iPad Pro with a foot pedal to turn the pages, and the forScore app see the PDFs of the music. Set lists are easy to make, and you never need lights. In bright sunlight it’s conceivable there could be a problem with heat, but I’ve never actually had it be a deal breaker.

Sometimes the band with have their own iPads, and sometimes they email you the PDFs and the setlist ahead of time so you can come prepared to read the whole set. For situations where there is trading off the lead trumpet part, lie, a salsa band or big band we put both parts in the set list so that the lead part can be played by whoever wants it etc.

This is basically how gigs work now, or at least the gigs that pay good money.
It’s way better, easier, no worries about light or wind, or finding paper, etc

I see this more and more. I haven't done it yet. I'm waiting for one of these to turn off during a gig. Not that I want it to, I just don't trust it yet. Maybe they said the same thing about a tube amp back in the day?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: