• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Edwards X-13 or Schilke HC-1 (or 2)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrewB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Edwards X-13 or Schilke HC-1 (or 2) Reply with quote

Ok, so in a perfect world, one of two things would happen…Either there would be a dealer near me who would carry and have demo stock of both horns for me to audition, or I would have enough money to buy both, play them for a while and sell the one that I don’t want…BTW, I’m in SW Florida, but can travel, within reason.
But, alas, we live in an imperfect world.
I play mostly commercial and small group music. I know everybody has a preference, but the only way I can make a conclusion is to try them both.
Any suggestions? Thx
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew, I got in a killer situation years back to try simultaneously, a variety of makes and models and even several of the same types to compare. But that was special.

I have bought numerous horns for the last decades almost exclusively by internet. You don't just have to play two or three horns, locally. Several of the major sellers have very flexible return policies. Yes, you generally have to pay return shipping but . .

I've even had multiple horns sent me and tried them to see what and if, I wanted to keep one.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The X-13 is a fantastic horn. It is a fine section horn, but I think it is tailor made to the small group setting where its gorgeous sound can stand out more. The only way to know if one will work for you is to try it, along with as many other horns as you can get your hands on. Virtuosity Music (Boston, MA) just received an X-13 in stock. You might check with them regarding their trial policy. They don't have either Schilke HC in stock, but do have a B5, which may be a better match for commercial playing than the HC series horns. Good luck, and have fun on your search!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are both outstanding trumpets. Schilke and Edwards/Getzen horns are both built to the highest of standards.

In my opinion, the Schilke HC2 (I haven't played the HC1) will sound brighter than the X-13 and will feel more solid in the hand. That does NOT mean the X-13 is poorly built or delicate. It just feels and is exceptionally light.

Both should have excellent intonation, though I haven't played either extensively enough to say so with certainty. It's been awhile since I've played either of these trumpets, but I would say the Schilke is at its best where brilliance counts. Again, the yellow brass HC1 might be less bright, compared to the copper belled HC2, but I only have one or two comments on other threads to go by.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
DrewB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Edwards X-13 or Schilke HC1 (or2) Reply with quote

thanks for all your responses. Yes, ordering them from a dealer is a possibility, but now, all DEALERS that I have found not only get you for the shipping both ways, they tack on between 15 and 20 percent as a re-stock charge. On a $4000 horn, that can be $700-$900 per horn!!!
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never played an X-13, but I own a Schilke HC-1. In fact, I practiced on it for about two hours today. I love the horn. It plays easily and sounds great. It has a relatively easy high register. But, as you know, the X-13 is also a great horn. I don't suppose that one is better than the other; it's a matter of which one you prefer. Some folks like mint chocolate chip, some prefer pistachio almond.

Get both and be happy.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played an HC-1 and 2 briefly at ITG one year.
The #1 played OK, the HC-2 sounded like a cornet and gave me that immediate feeling that I would get in trouble playing it on a gig. Way too open.

The X-13 I bought - one of the best trumpets I've had the luck to play.
https://yourbrass.com/
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree with Dayton, after having my X13 for a couple months now i would say the X13 is a small group horn. At 63 that's all I do now. I dont play in big groups or do commercial work anymore so the sound of this horn and the balance and ease of play is perfect. You can blow the hell out of this horn and not play to loud or to edgy with a normal piece. It's sort of cornetish and it's great. I'm sure you can stick a shallow piece in there and get after it. The sound is really resonant and warm. The X13 plays open but it doesnt play loud imho.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Edwards X-13 or Schilke HC1 (or2) Reply with quote

DrewB wrote:
thanks for all your responses. Yes, ordering them from a dealer is a possibility, but now, all DEALERS that I have found not only get you for the shipping both ways, they tack on between 15 and 20 percent as a re-stock charge. On a $4000 horn, that can be $700-$900 per horn!!!

This is not true for my shop. We don't charge 15-20% on a return. Our policy (https://www.austincustombrass.biz/returns-shipping/) states "up to 10%" when almost always we refund full price minus a cleaning fee unless we see wear that wasn't there before.

We are trying to stock the X13 (a truly magnificent horn in every way) but we have many preorders and just can't keep them in the shop. A good problem to have I guess.

As always we are happy to chat over the telephone if folks ever want any clarification in regards to our policies.

Best,
T

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to work harder to balance the volume and sonority in section (large ensemble) work?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: