• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouuthpiece for late 30's Buescher 400 Trumpet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treozen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Mouuthpiece for late 30's Buescher 400 Trumpet? Reply with quote

Hello all -

First, I'd like to thank the forum for the great information - I spent hours last night scouring old posts and forums for opinions, etc, and found it very useful.

I've bought a Buescher 400 trumpet, and there seems to be some confusion over its exact date - serial number as advertised is 289133, but from pictures it looks to be 380182 - both of which I believe could be correct for a 400, except that one would be post -war late 1930 and the other, closer to 1960?

My main question however, is on a mouthpiece. I have no experience picking mouthpieces, and I've also read that perhaps some vintage trumpets require a different mouthpiece - shorter shank maybe? Regardless, my question is about what mouthpiece you all might recommend given this instrument, and a beginner-level player. I did play some about 28 years ago, but I am considering myself back to square one. I do play other instruments as well, but no other brass.

I figure some might ask what sort of sound I'm going for....well...anything that's not a duck jammed in a door, to start. After that, something with a 1940's feel......or just the William Tell Overture, to annoy my teenager while she rides her pony.

Thanks,
Allan.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bach 5C generally works pretty well in these horns, if that's a size you can use.
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Treozen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
The Bach 5C generally works pretty well in these horns, if that's a size you can use.

Great, thank you.

I've picked up a few instruments, and some came with mouthpieces - though unfortunately none were a 5C. I'm currently using a Conn 4 in my 80A Cornet, but finding that it seems small - I don't recall struggling quite so much before, course my lips were smaller when I was 14....much like my waistline.

The mouthpieces I'll have available will include:

- Bach Mount Vernon 7C
- Bach 17C1
- Trump-Berigan (unclear on size or model)
- Reynolds 7C
- H.N White 32
- One unknown (perhaps I'll get lucky and it will be a 5C).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: