• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

6 Notes - in multiple octaves?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: 6 Notes - in multiple octaves? Reply with quote

I am/was a trombonist and studied with Carmine in the early 1970's. Since retiring, I also play euphonium and BBb tuba. My question is about the "6 Notes" and I have two questions.

1) I have read people's comments which say that they find/have found the 6 Notes to be very taxing. I have never been able to understand exactly what problem they are experiencing. Carmine talked about professionals who had some chop problems and played the circus when it came to town. By the time the show was finished a week later, they couldn't get a sound out of the horn. That I could understand and can see that - since they couldn't even get a buzz, playing the 6 Notes would indeed be a major problem. But when people say that the 6 Notes are very hard to play, what exactly are they finding difficult?

2) My original instrument was bass trombone but I ended up playing tenor - bass trombone equal amounts of time as a professional. For many years, I have done my "6 Notes" in 4 octaves and have for some time had trumpet students do them in 3 octaves. Do others of you, especially trumpet players, do your 6 Notes in multiple octaves?
I sort of came to this approach after thinking about Sam Burtis' comments about where to use 6 Notes. He recommends them as a way of eradicating any problematic transition areas in one's range. For me, it seemed logical to use them in each of the octaves where I regularly play.

Any comments?
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie Frink's & John McNeil's book Flexus does move the 6 notes around different registers of the horn.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to Flexus - had a very good progression along the same basic idea as 6 notes.

Some of the things I've noticed when expanding (or using 6-notes-like exercises):
- Adjusting to ascend and so can't play through whatever register the notes are in
- Can't return to the original setting - i.e. no problem with the ascent but returning the original note is not something yet natural

I don't regularly play them multiple times, but have gone through rotations of octaves
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never found the 6 notes hard to play, but by the time I get to A natural in the repeat, I am starting to feel a burning in the corners of my chops. And my understanding it is supposed to be that way if you are doing the exercise properly. I do them religiously at the end of my daily morning practice. So far I have not felt the need to do them in more than one octave.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: